It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need assistance with research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Good morning ATS'ers! I am doing a project for class and I need some help with my research. The main topic that I will be needing assistance with is this..Why did the majority of the Southern states convert from the democratic party to republicans after the civil war. Y'all are great at finding multiple sources of info. On any given subject so can you help me out? Thanks -

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I am not a yank but I think it has something to do with the fact that the USA is not a democracy but a republic. Which means people are born with a god given set of rights that can never be taken away. A majority cannot by law in a republic remove the rights of the minorities. In a democracy the majority rules, which is basically nothing more than mob rule.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
I am not a yank but I think it has something to do with the fact that the USA is not a democracy but a republic. Which means people are born with a god given set of rights that can never be taken away. A majority cannot by law in a republic remove the rights of the minorities. In a democracy the majority rules, which is basically nothing more than mob rule.

Your barking up the right tree.....but more so alot of it has to do with the bible belt and religion more so now and days. Republicans being conservative keeping with that religious contention. And democrats being the general idiots that they are who tend to cater to everyone for a vote.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

Good morning ATS'ers! I am doing a project for class and I need some help with my research. The main topic that I will be needing assistance with is this..Why did the majority of the Southern states convert from the democratic party to republicans after the civil war. Y'all are great at finding multiple sources of info. On any given subject so can you help me out? Thanks -

I think you need to do your own research. That's the whole point of homework.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Hi hater..this is why I am about to leave this community. It has gone so far downhill, no one can even discuss subjects in civilized fashion. Did I ask you to write the paper? No I am requesting for atsers to help me find more sources.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au

Most southern states were Democrats until around 1948/1950 timeframe. There is a long history, including the fact that the Republican party started by Abraham Lincoln took voting rights away from many southern citizens. Why then would southerners want to be Republicans? They wouldn't and they weren't. You should research Reconstruction politics. It's eye opening...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au

Do you even have a thesis or a paper defining this assrtion?

Or did you make this up on the fly and are trolling?

Asking for help on such an idealogically charged question when Google is your friend sounds like you just want to poke a hornets nest.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
If the mods could please make sure the site owner's see this. I am leaving ATS, this is ridiculous, you know it, and I know it. This site has gone to complete #. I mean look at this^^^^^ I don't need this, there are thousands of sites that have a community that would be more than willing to help. I mean one thread about mermaids, next day fifteen threads on mermaids wtf, and then " I saw an alien in a tooth fairy outfit delivering snicker bars" and it will have 15 pages of just nonsense, but I come here looking for more sources, and I get ridiculed??? Man check your #. I'm sure it doesn't matter to you Simon are the other two owners what I am saying or that I am leaving. But, you know that I am right.so good riddance

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

I don't need this, there are thousands of sites that have a community that would be more than willing to help.

I'm sure there are. But will you be able to tell whether or not they're feeding you lies if you don't know how to do your own research?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

Huh?

Im not making fun of you....not at all. The general query you threw out there needs a little more meat on it I think. In what frame of reference are you trying to write about?

And why should I spend time digging for your paper? All I will readily do is give you perspective and so will many others some with links and some without. I never thought a paper on such would have to be so rigidly black and white as the subject matter you chose is anything but.

And honestly no matter what anyone puts out here, it is ultimatly up to you to do your information vetting after all it is your paper.

Lastly, stop with the caffeine its making you sound like a crazy person. Any tantrum you throw is just going to make matters worse and give you less credibility as it pertains to your original request. Awww nevermind too late for that.

maybe you should be more specific? Assuming though that you decide to postpone your quit rage.

1- you say you'll quit ATS and never comeback in which case we never hear from you again. A man that stands by his principals right or wrong.

2-you say you'll quit ATS and keep posting which translates to someone who is not dependable thus further bringing your orginal honest query thread down into a troll spiral.

3-you omit that your overreacting and we can pick up where we left off and actually give you ideas to further your work.

You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

You join the class for you to learn or us to learn?
Start digging yourself and keep all of the other info you find along the way.
It is the journey just as much as the destination that matters.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You fully deserve an F just for asking the question.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the attitudes in this thread.

I see nothing wrong with the OP asking for a little help. Did all of you out there complaining ever stop to think that maybe some people aren't very good at finding sources for things. I know I wasn't when I started participating in this site, and thru many hours of work, I've learned to hone my skills, and can now find information much easier. Sometimes finding information isn't as easy as a Google search...lighten up people.

To the OP: I wish I could answer you questions, but I know little on this topic. I will however, do a little digging and see if I can find a link or two for you. I have the time, and I don't mind helping. (I won't do your homework though.
...just saying...
) ...and don't let the senseless post discourage your experience on ATS.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bo12au

The Republican party is the party of the Men.

The Democratic party is the party of the Women and Children.

The American Civil War was a war where the Women and Children rose up in revolt against the Men; ultimately, as is inevitable in these types of situations, the Men were destroyed.

With the Men gone, the children, the sons specifically, became the new Men and became Republicans.

edit on 16-7-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I have to say, I'm a little surprised at the attitudes in this thread.

I see nothing wrong with the OP asking for a little help. Did all of you out there complaining ever stop to think that maybe some people aren't very good at finding sources for things. I know I wasn't when I started participating in this site, and thru many hours of work, I've learned to hone my skills, and can now find information much easier. Sometimes finding information isn't as easy as a Google search...lighten up people.

To the OP: I wish I could answer you questions, but I know little on this topic. I will however, do a little digging and see if I can find a link or two for you. I have the time, and I don't mind helping. (I won't do your homework though.
...just saying...
) ...and don't let the senseless post discourage your experience on ATS.

This is for a school project the learning is in the process. If you have your mom do your homework, you learn nothing about the subject and nothing about the process.

Then you graduate and get out in the real world and the true value of learning nothing in school becomes evident.
I used to do research at the library using the card catalog. The most important thing I learned in school was how to teach myself.
edit on 16-7-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Bumping. I know your project is probably finished but to all the people flaming his post. Google does not know everything and by him asking in the forums for more information means he is learning and just wants a good grade and a little more knowledge on the subject.

I pay people to write my essays so I can compare to the one i wrote and learn how to write in different formats and styles. Does this mean I'm not learning? Ha I really wish I knew everything.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Slodds because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join