It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London 2012: Welcome to the Censorship Olympics

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Here's an interesting article in the Daily Mail, take from it what you will, i know many do not like the Mail but hey, just passing it on for your thoughts....it highlights just how the big businesses are messing up what should be an enjoyable event for our country....

It beggars belief, but it can now be a criminal offence to use words like Games, Gold and Summer – or even a picture of the London skyline. The reason? An outrageous abuse of our laws to protect the profits of Olympic sponsors...

The guards would not let me walk round the Olympic Park when I went to visit. ‘We’re in lockdown because of a security alert,’ one explained. The rain fell.

The overbearing policing felt intimidating, and as I beat a retreat it occurred to me that London is going to host not only the Paralympics, but the paramilitary Olympics, too.

Seeking shelter among the bright lights and piped music of Stratford’s new Westfield centre, I found another lockdown in progress.

At the organisers’ behest, the Government told the courts they may wish to take particular account of anyone using two or more words from what it calls List A: ‘Games’; ‘Two Thousand and Twelve’; ‘2012’; and ‘twenty twelve’.

And the judges must also come down hard on anyone, even a charity, who takes a word from List A and joins it with one or more words from what is List B: ‘Gold’; ‘Silver’; ‘Bronze’; ‘London’; ‘medals’; ‘sponsors’; and ‘summer’. Common nouns are now private property.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games does not stop there. To cover all eventualities, it warns everyone in Britain against creating an ‘unlawful association’ with the Games, which can be done without even mentioning the forbidden words!

Source: London 2012: Welcome to the Censorship Olympics

I will probably watch a few events on tv but otherwise, they can stick the Olympics where the torch don't shine. I feel sorry for the athletes who have worked so hard, only to have their build up to the biggest days of their lives overshadowed by such a farce.

I gotta say it again, why the hell are Coca Cola and McDonalds allowed to be anywhere near an event that promotes the absolute highest levels of fitness. All these companies have brought to the people is heart attacks and obesity.

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I was reading the same type of article on the bbc couple of days ago, also its about £900 for a ticket to opening ceremony? Big business ruins everything.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Yea, when I see a athlete promoting fast food...I LMFAO....as you know they would never eat that swill.

Athletes are the biggest sell outs when it comes to sponsers. If they really held any true conviction, they'd be a bit more choosey over whom they agree to represent. Alas its all about money, and the athletes dont care as long as money is there.

Sponser me with a billion dollar company and I'll tell you the sky is blue, because if it was green we wouldn't know where to stop mowing.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kastogere
Yea, when I see a athlete promoting fast food...I LMFAO....as you know they would never eat that swill.

Athletes are the biggest sell outs when it comes to sponsers. If they really held any true conviction, they'd be a bit more choosey over whom they agree to represent. Alas its all about money, and the athletes dont care as long as money is there.

Sponser me with a billion dollar company and I'll tell you the sky is blue, because if it was green we wouldn't know where to stop mowing.

Really? Even though Usain Bolt admitted his pre race preparations when he broke the world record were plenty of sleep and Chicken McNuggets? And this was witnessed by various non athletes (who saw him in McDonalds).

Athletes are people like everyone else. I also do not like the way huge amounts of money have ruined many sports but we cannot blame athletes for endorsing things. If someone offered me millions to endorse something, i would snap their hand off!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Dear god, What next Are they gonna sue all shows being filmed in London? Meanwhile America's fast plumps up their competition with their fast food

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The Games are a worthless farce anyway. They always have been. I've also long been aware that the English government is one of the most unashamedly fascist on the face of the planet. Orwell was a prophet.

"Britons never will be slaves," says the song? It was probably already a sick joke at the time those lyrics were written.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The story isnt available on the mail online link any more. Guess they must have joined 1 or more words from list A with a word from list B

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeopleParty
The story isnt available on the mail online link any more. Guess they must have joined 1 or more words from list A with a word from list B

Phoning them as we speak....being passed on from pillar to post......am going to ask them why it's been removed, or more to he point, who told them to remove it

CX.
edit on 16/7/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Just spoke to a lady who said that sometimes that happens if the story is being amended or something similar, and that it will probably be back on there later.

I did ask if they'd been told of and had to remove it lol....but she said no.

Well it will be interesting to see if they have removed anything of interest? Unfortunately i didn't save the whole thing, but the bits i've pasted above give a fair idea of what they are talking about.

Will probably come back with the article changed to, "Keep calm, keep buying Coke and Maccy D's and carry on...nothing going on at the games!"

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Do you realize what them chicken McNuggets are made of? If he wins anything its because of Mcnugget doping.

Those are the absolute worse thing you can put in yer body for any reason.

These guys vaguely touch on the ingrediants

I assure you they put worse stuff in em that hasn't been said.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
As a Brit I am ashamed of my country, but this is what happens when you have a bunch of corporate cronies running things.

I'm boycotting the Olympics. I won't buy anything that's associated to it, I'll actively buy a competitors product if I see the union jack and mention of the Olympics in any way on any product. I don't want to support a corrupt and disgusting event like that, or their corrupt and disgusting sponsors either.

And to think that when we won the games I was proud of my country. Instead we're now under threat by our military and government in London, fearful of a pathetic response in a "false flag" attack - almost expecting it to happen - and we have to deal with embarrassing things like this censorship too.

The Olympics should be held in Greece every year, operated by the nation, inviting athletes to compete for pride and without the corporate backing of scummy brands. Right now these are not athletes, they're property, they sold out.

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here's another article from the same paper, same kind of flavour.....lets see how long this one lasts.....

Nearly 300 Olympic ‘enforcement officers’ will start patrolling around venues nationwide from next week to ensure traders are not illegally associating themselves with the Games.

The trading standards officers, who will wear the same purple uniforms as volunteers, will be checking Olympic ‘event zones’ all over the country to make sure sellers comply with strict trading and advertising rules.

Nearly 300 Olympic 'enforcement officers' will be on patrol around Britain to stop traders from stepping on sponsors' toes

And finally......

Earlier this year grandmother Joy Tomkins, 81, was prevented from entering a doll with a hand-knitted ‘GB 2012’ outfit into a church fundraising sale.

Authorities ruled that the doll, which was due to be sold for £1 in May, breached the rules.

You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't.

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I believe it all. It's really not about the athletes, it's all about money and sponsors. Some of these new stories are absolutely ridiculous and the sad thing is that they don't surprise me. That's saying something when you expect this.
edit on 7/16/12 by enjoies05 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I believe it all. It's really not about the athletes, it's all about money and sponsors.

Agreed.

I went to a local torch event in Southampton, my daughter was singing with a choir for the ceremony. Great acts to entertain everyone, but it was marred by constant advertising everywhere and on the big screen by the big businesses.

I'd like to say i came away from there with a good experience, and yes it was lovely to see my daughter participate, however all that seems to be sticking in my head is damn Samsung, Lloyds TSB and Coke adverts.

I guess they have to get funding for events like this, so i'm not saying that it shouldn't have it's sponsors, i just wish there was a way of making more about the games and athletes and less about the profit of companies.

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
The Olympics should be held in Greece every year, operated by the nation, inviting athletes to compete for pride and without the corporate backing of scummy brands. Right now these are not athletes, they're property, they sold out.

I would back this idea 100%

Not only would it help the country out, it would bring back some national pride and other nations wouldn't have to spend BILLIONS building structure's to host an event that your average joe only has a passing interest in.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by enjoies05
I believe it all. It's really not about the athletes, it's all about money and sponsors.

Agreed.

I went to a local torch event in Southampton, my daughter was singing with a choir for the ceremony. Great acts to entertain everyone, but it was marred by constant advertising everywhere and on the big screen by the big businesses.

I'd like to say i came away from there with a good experience, and yes it was lovely to see my daughter participate, however all that seems to be sticking in my head is damn Samsung, Lloyds TSB and Coke adverts.

I guess they have to get funding for events like this, so i'm not saying that it shouldn't have it's sponsors, i just wish there was a way of making more about the games and athletes and less about the profit of companies.

CX.

The article i mentioned reading on the bbc stated that sponsorship deals raised about 700million towards the Olympics, but the government funding has ran into its billions. So really, there wasn't much need for "official sponsorship" Its pathetic really. Mcdonals and coke being official sponsors, what a load of old Sh!t

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

What the hell happened to the sport? These corporations are WAY too powerful now. We need to eradicate them, along with every corrupt politician who gave them their powers, while we still are able to. If that means killing them, then so be it. But no, people in this nation are way too apathetic to do anything.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Thanks for bringing us this, CX, money has now corrupted the Olympics. As everything else in our society.What a shame.

McDonalds and Coca Cola stage managing the whole thing, using their financial clout to forward their own agendas,....junk food, and nothing whatsoever in common with the sports men and sports women who will have their prestige snatched by these companies, their training and discipline overshadowed and associated with purveyors of trashy food and drink.

No doubt to create a link in people's minds between fit sports people and eating and drinking their products...

Greedy 'effin barstewards....I'd like to say this would stop me watching any Olympic events, but that's hardly fair on the hard working competitors...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

£900 for a ticket to the opening event ??? They won' be opening with "Fanfare for the common man " then !

Those sort of prices will keep the Riff Raff out, especially the " Common man " wealthy people only, thank you.

High ticket prices, par for the course ( Pun intended....) for most prestige events these days..

Firkham Hall....

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
The Games are a worthless farce anyway. They always have been. I've also long been aware that the English government is one of the most unashamedly fascist on the face of the planet. Orwell was a prophet.

"Britons never will be slaves," says the song? It was probably already a sick joke at the time those lyrics were written.

English Government? No such thing, matey and hasn't been for 305 years. I suggest you get your facts right before mouthing off.

Anyhoo, this all sounds very familiar. I'm sure this all happens every time there is a big World sporting event. I've also heard of this "list A" and "list B" business from somewhere years ago too.. Shall see if I can remember..

Just goes to show how corrupted all sport has become, it is big money now. We have FIFA taking bribes, giving odd countries the world cup and literally getting away with it, the IOC has had it's share of scandals, match fixing in Italy..on and on..

It's the main reason I really don't care much for sport now. I occasionally take the kids to watch Reading, but I almost forgot about Euro 2012 and couldn't give a flying fudge about the Olympics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join