It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would having a fake gun be a possible alternative to a real one?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Alright, everyone STOP for a second,please! Either the OP is not Canadian or is woefully uninformed! Ten minutes of googling would have made it pretty obvious that obtaining a firearm LEGALLY in Canada is very easy.
You do need a licence, specifically a PAL(Posession Aquisition Licence) with a restricted added to it if you want handguns.What'll it take to get this?One weekend of your time to take the training course,fill out an application and wait a few weeks. If you want handguns,you must either register as a collector or be a member of a gun club,as it is not permitted to shoot restricted weapons outside a licenced range.

As far as regular non-restricted firearms go, you walk into the store,pick your firearm,show your licence and pay your money. Then you walk out of the store with you firearm! Viola, you have just jumped through the myriad of legal hoopes and restrictions and obtained that impossible-to-get firearm. In fact, you can buy a shorter barreled shotgun non-restrcited in Canada than in most U.S states. Did you know you can legally buy and shoot a 12.5 inch barreled 12 guage shotgun,as long as it has a full stock to make it's overall length legal? Go look at CanadaAmmo.com to check it out.

As for handguns, no,it's not difficult. In fact,I had to go online, buy my .45 and 9mm from a website,then pick them up at the post office a week later. Now granted, you do have to get a permit to transport the pistol home and to the range, but it requires one simple fax sent to you Chief Firearms Officer. In Alberta, my permit to transport allows me to take my pistols to any range in the province,whenever I want.Some places like Ontario make it a bit more restrictive,limiting the ranges you can go to. Lets be real, in a SHTF situation where you actually NEED these guns, laws may not be priority #1.

In the time it took to come here and post false information and ask for unneccesary help,you could have printed off all the info you needed online and had all your answers. I get a bit annoyed when people make it seem like we're jsut like the Brits or Aussie's who let our government take our guns away. This is not the case! In fact, we just got our long-gun registry scrapped ,so when you buy a shotgun or rifle at the store, it's not even registered anymore. So,there ya go,no more need to carry fake guns,should the need arise!
edit on 16-7-2012 by xxclaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

What your saying is no different than my original post. Like I said, for the most part we can only get rifles without a lot of headaches. So it would be challenging to always be carrying that around. So what I was saying was maybe a toy gun in a shtf scenario tucked into your belt my deter bad elements. I dont' know I could be way off base who knows. I suppose you'd want the real thing if the shtf. But hardly any Cdn's own hand guns. Your hard pressed to find anyone with a hand gun. As for the PAL, I personally wouldn't want to bother. The less big brother knows about you, the easier your life will be. They are not your friends that's for damn sure.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

There are 1.1 million handguns in Canada. That is one for every 30 citizens. I think you are exaggerating the difficulty of getting one.

Also, you keep saying if the shtf. In that scenario you would be better off with a rifle or shotgun instead of a handgun and definitely better off with either instead of a fake gun.

edit on 17-7-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pepeluacho

Baseball Bats (Highly Recommended)

I wouldn't have responded, because this news is usually not received well, but you did put (Highly Recommended) there, so I feel obliged to respond.

A baseball bat is a TERRIBLE offensive weapon. I have taken several baseball bats away from people. A good strong kick is just as powerful as a baseball bat, but there is no risk in losing your leg to your attacker to be used against you.

A baseball bat is only devastating if the target is unsuspecting, and only if you have time to wind up and swing powerfully. Even then, it only takes a quick step into the swing, or away from the swing for it to be rendered useless, and the person swinging to be caught in a compromisingly vulnerable state.

A bat is decent defensive weapon if it is wielded properly. You hold it with two hands, with one hand being at least halfway up the barrel. You use it to block, to poke, to create distance, and if you are lucky enough to stun someone, then you can use the bat to finish them off.

A baseball bat is way down my list of weapons, and certainly not "highly recommended."

Now, the flipside is, if some amateur attacks you with a bat, and you step in, block, strike, and take the bat away, it is very very intimidating to them, and they usually run away. I had a guy leave me with his truck and his girlfriend one time, LOL! He got out of his truck, came running at me with the bat, and I just walked toward him, when he started to swing, I stepped into it, interrupted his swing, hit him square in the nose, pulled the bat away with my left hand, and stepped back. He took off and ran clear out of my sight, and left me standing there next to his truck, with his girlfriend still inside. I grabbed the keys out of the truck and tossed them across a parking lot, and tossed the bat in the backseat of my car and drove away laughing.

Just my 2 cents on a baseball bat.

The only thing worse than a baseball bat is a fake gun.

edit on 17-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Oops misread lol..... Carry on......

On a side note, you can get them under the table so to speak, even here in canada.
edit on Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:10:05 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
this aint' yo daddy's bb gun!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If it comes down to it and there's somehow chaos in Canada (really? I can't see that happening) and you really absolutely need a gun, then you'll find a way to get that gun and the ammunition be it by stealing it at a store or taking it away from someone. Being that this is Canada, you could probably ask someone to kindly lend their gun to you. hahahaha! This is why I love Canada, it's so peaceful and trusting

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
this aint' yo daddy's bb gun!

Yeah but it costs almost half of what the real Beretta 92FS costs and is only good for small birds and mice at close range.

For the same price you could get a S&W model 22A.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I guess it depends on if you really think a situation will arise where you need to carry a handgun. If you don't, then I would say don't bother. On the other hand, if you think it's likely or probable, then I'd still recommend a real pistol. I'm not sure why people thnk it's so hard. You take your firearms course, take one extra day for your restricted course and then send in your application. Join a gun club so you can practice, since your handgun is damn near useless to you unless you know how to use it.
If you want to buy a BB gun,go ahead, there fun to shoot popcans with at least. Useless or worse in a real life and death situation, but still fun to play with.
I didn't buy my handguns or long guns for a SHTF situation, but if something like that should ever happen,I'd be happy to have them.
If your seriously concerned about s SHTF situation,do yourself a favor and go through the minor inconvenience of buying a real gun. If your just want tp play badass,a BB gun is just fine.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
flashing a fake gun if a criminal breaks in is a bad Idea. Never pull a gun on anyone unless you are willing to use it. Many people would hesitate and they couldn't kill someone if needed. Hardened criminals can sense if someone with a gun can use it most times. I would have no problem using one myself but I doubt if my wife could......unless the criminal kicked one of our cats.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Get a fake slingshot,a fake crossbow or a fake dog.
Fake guns attract real bullets.

Your better off throwing broccoli at people,they will go screaming towards McD's in a panic.

edit on 12-8-2012 by The Utopian Penguin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
In the states everyone and there dog has guns. But in Canada it's far different. Your lucky if you own a rifle. Even that requires all kinds of licenses and registration. It too is hardly worth doing. Would it make any sense at all to perhaps get a fake hand gun. Like a toy gun. And just keep that around. That's if of course it looked real enough. Like I know you can buy bb guns here that you don't need any license for that look completely real. So if you carried that around you might be able to hunt small game as well as look intimidating to others even if you didn't brandish it. I'm talking in a complete system melt down here of course. Like so if you ended up in a bad situation where you're running around having to deal with other stragglers, then at least if it looked like you had a pistol you'd be far less likely to be attacked. Even if the gun was just a toy. Like I said there's no getting any guns up here that's for sure. At best a real gun means a rifle and that's only with tons of permits. Your thoughts?

To be honest it could be useful. You could bluff yourself into a winning outcome if faced with a hostile - operative word being "could", and having a fake gun is no substitute for a real weapon.

Think of this scenario - a true SHTF melt down where there is no law and order, and the world is reduced to scavenging and survival of the fittest.

You come into contact with a hostile, and you manage to draw first - if you have a bead on the hostile, the correct marksman stance, and supremely aggressive; they will have to have the mentality of being happy to die to try and draw on you.

Their thoughts will be self-preservation, not suicide - so you might be able to bluff yourself out of the situation.

Again, hypothetical, not ideal, and nowhere near a guarantee, but it could prove useful.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Pepeluacho

Baseball Bats (Highly Recommended)

I wouldn't have responded, because this news is usually not received well, but you did put (Highly Recommended) there, so I feel obliged to respond.

A baseball bat is a TERRIBLE offensive weapon. I have taken several baseball bats away from people. A good strong kick is just as powerful as a baseball bat, but there is no risk in losing your leg to your attacker to be used against you.

A baseball bat is only devastating if the target is unsuspecting, and only if you have time to wind up and swing powerfully. Even then, it only takes a quick step into the swing, or away from the swing for it to be rendered useless, and the person swinging to be caught in a compromisingly vulnerable state.

A bat is decent defensive weapon if it is wielded properly. You hold it with two hands, with one hand being at least halfway up the barrel. You use it to block, to poke, to create distance, and if you are lucky enough to stun someone, then you can use the bat to finish them off.

A baseball bat is way down my list of weapons, and certainly not "highly recommended."

Now, the flipside is, if some amateur attacks you with a bat, and you step in, block, strike, and take the bat away, it is very very intimidating to them, and they usually run away. I had a guy leave me with his truck and his girlfriend one time, LOL! He got out of his truck, came running at me with the bat, and I just walked toward him, when he started to swing, I stepped into it, interrupted his swing, hit him square in the nose, pulled the bat away with my left hand, and stepped back. He took off and ran clear out of my sight, and left me standing there next to his truck, with his girlfriend still inside. I grabbed the keys out of the truck and tossed them across a parking lot, and tossed the bat in the backseat of my car and drove away laughing.

Just my 2 cents on a baseball bat.

The only thing worse than a baseball bat is a fake gun.

Thank you for replying - you have saved me saying the same thing!

When we went through our pre-deployment training for peace keeping in East Timor, we had a Swedish cop provide a few days training ... his weapon of choice, a broom stick, cut down to around a metre, painted black.

With the right training, the broomstick can be used to break wrists, create wrist and arm locks, break windpipes, knees, etc. Much, much more effective than a baseball bat.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

I agree, a short broom stick, or a kubaton, or even a mini-baseball bat, in the right hands, can be very effective! I saw a girl teach a mini kubaton class once, and it was frighteningly effective!

The person has to have some skill in wielding it, but I'd take the little 6 inch weapon or 18" bat over the full-sized bat anyday.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
reply to post by r2d246

Your better off throwing broccoli at people,they will go screaming towards McD's in a panic.

That is scary!! If a person runs at me throwing broccoli, I'd definitely give them their space!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
reply to post by r2d246

That is scary!! If a person runs at me throwing broccoli, I'd definitely give them their space!

Can you see the broccoli in his pocket,if he took it out and threw it at them they would run if they lived long enough

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Nice Getready!

Sounds like you used the classic boxer's stop hit on the swinging arm of the bat. I don't know why people think bats are the boss in a fight. They are ungainly. Slow. and the only real dangerous part is the very end where all the power is. It is really easy using the method you described to vector the force totally away from you by shorting the swing by jamming his arm between the elbow and the shoulder. Works like wonders against a wild swinging punch too. Stop hit while at the same time strait punching into the guys face with my free arm is usually my method of dealing with swinging strikes.

I like the shortened broomstick idea. Sounds like the swedish guy training you was a escrimador. Escrima is the king of stick fighting. It's real hard to stop a guy who knows escrima or kali. Best thing with the escrima sticks is that it adapts well to open hand combative movements. So just do what you'd normally do if you were empty handed but with a stick in your hands and you turn into a whirlwind of death.

edit on 22-8-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
If you have decided to never kill another human, no matter what, you might as well carry a fake gun.
There are how ever wild animals and such...
Pre SHTF you might be better of not having a fake gun.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
i thank everyone should have a fake gun,get rid of all real guns & ammo..
then i will be the only one with a real one ,everyone will work for me.i will be the law maker.
no more war,just pretty unicorns & rainbows.
out of your bubble if your going to have a gun just for show,makes you feel tuff, yea get a fake one.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Possible fake gun strategy:

1. When approached by bad guy, start to pull fake gun but fumble and drop it in his direction.

2. Bad guy picks up the fake gun thinking you're a total idiot, and bemusedly points your fake gun at you.

3. Now that bad guy is rife with overconfidence, make your move and stomp his cookies.

4. Smirk down at barely concious bad guy, retrieve your fake gun, and put it back in it's fake holster.

5. Saunter off victorious!

It's a long shot, for sure.

Seriously though, if one anticipates a situation bad enough to warrant having a real gun, no, a fake one is not a viable alternative.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join