It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would having a fake gun be a possible alternative to a real one?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
In the states everyone and there dog has guns. But in Canada it's far different. Your lucky if you own a rifle. Even that requires all kinds of licenses and registration. It too is hardly worth doing. Would it make any sense at all to perhaps get a fake hand gun. Like a toy gun. And just keep that around. That's if of course it looked real enough. Like I know you can buy bb guns here that you don't need any license for that look completely real. So if you carried that around you might be able to hunt small game as well as look intimidating to others even if you didn't brandish it. I'm talking in a complete system melt down here of course. Like so if you ended up in a bad situation where you're running around having to deal with other stragglers, then at least if it looked like you had a pistol you'd be far less likely to be attacked. Even if the gun was just a toy. Like I said there's no getting any guns up here that's for sure. At best a real gun means a rifle and that's only with tons of permits. Your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Personally, I think that is a terrible idea. What happens if you pull it out to try and "scare" someone, and they pull out a real gun?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I foresee this as being a quick way to end up dead. You don't meet a threat with a toy. A fake gun for brandishing purposes will only work as far as the person who 1, recognizes it as a toy and 2, starts firing first.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
LOL if you need your gun for hunting food.... lmao your gonna starve

From one of my fav movies Snatch... sorry to those that cant watch...

But this is what happens with fake guns

edit on 16-7-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

get yourself a good knife and perhaps a good tazer if you're that worried about it and that's the best you can do...

it's a shame it's so hard to get a gun there...because i guarantee a criminal wouldn't give a rats behind about some silly license...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Is using a fake parachute a possible alternative to a real one? C'mon man think

link   
reply to post by r2d246

Fake firearms in Canada have to be easily recognizable as such. That is why anything "realistic" will have a bright orange muzzle tip. It helps for police to not shoot you immediately if you aim it at them.

That might make it a bit less effective.

link   
You would be better off just running away. In a post apocalyptic world, a fake gun may just give a false sense of security and ability to defend yourself. Get the real thing or stick to knives and clubs.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I have a squirt gun!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
A gun is not a threat. If you draw it, use it.

Get a sword, for home defense a 20" blade is best. Try a Wakashi I hope the spelling is correct.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
anyone who carrys a gun on a regular basis will tell you , you only pull your gun out if your ready and willing to use it, so with that a fake gun would be worthless so no i would not recomend it.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Use chemicals instead.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
haveing a fake gun will only get you dead in a melt down,you people with a gun would use them on you instead of just eating out of your frig and leaveing you would be more safe going stealth, more than likely if i see you with a gun i would just take what i want instead of saying please...you would be a thret while i hunt for food for my family..dog eat dog you runing around with a gun would make me stay in hideing and shoot you 300yrds away your a nut that might hurt me im on a hunt get it?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Yep, point a rubber chicken at em.... that Ill do it!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It may not be as hard to own one as you think.
Here is a site and podcast you may find entertaining and informative.

www.canadianreloadradio.ca...

They talk about news that relates to self defense, and Canadian gun ownership.

Over the last couple years they have covered most of the ins and outs of Canadian gun laws. What you can and can’t do with guns in Canada. And what you need to do over in regards to laws for target shooting, and other gun uses.

They also talk a lot about guns in general……….

One of the episodes I find the most entertaining is episode 90, and 90 bonus where they are joined by the people from the gun dudes podcast in the US.

90 bonus is where they are prepping for the show.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Aside from bluffing yer way into a real one, I cant see any good that would come from it. Although if the BB gun is powerful enough you could kill small game if yer a good shot.

Yet for bluffing purposes, you better be a good liar.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Putting a good plan in place in advance would be a far better choice than walking around waving a fake gun around. Or even a real one for that matter.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Are air guns legal? Theyre restricted like handguns here in michigan if they cant shoot bbs. Lewis and clark carried an air rifle. The small ones shoot 177 caliber pellets or bbs. The pellets are as deadly as a .22. You could also get a 22 rifle and cut it down if the s hits the f..

Of course i have my trusty ar 15...
edit on 16-7-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The only use for a replica is to stick on the wall to look good or as an emergency hammer to knock some nails into said wall

you'd be better off with a blackjack/sword/crossbow etc that will actually do some damage hell even shotput half a brick at them and run makes better survival sense than a lump of useless metal

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Can't own a real gun down here in AUS unless you know farmer A who knows farmer B and blah blah.

But possession of a fake gun and brandishing it in public gets you the same charge if not worse..

stupid laws here.. understandable but stupid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join