It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help needed to solve a problem......well, 2 problems.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I have a Gateway FX series PC [Vista] that my husband bought me for Christmas about 3 years ago. Bought at Best Buy and yes, I have virus/spyware that was installed and I have kept renewing. Never a problem until now.

My problem is actually 2 fold:

It first started just before 4th of July W.E. ~~~ I was either on this site or a news site and was trying to watch a video and it said that Adobe needed to update. No big deal , it does this often. So I let it do its thing and it failed. So I tried again, only for it to fail. Being as we travel for a living and we were in an RV park where the speed is slow, I figured I'd try later. Come to find out they also installed a security program also, which I have uninstalled.

Well, every thing was fine when I turned it off. Yes, I go through the proper procedure of disconnecting from internet then going to shut down to turn off.

However the next day when I turned it on, the dreaded blue screen appeared. I only encountered a problem once before but not from the same reason. Never had the blue screen. I was able the first time fix it by going to an earlier restore point. And poof, it was fixed.

But now, it has no previous restore points. One minute there's nothing listed then the next, it says "back up location is not available".

Which leads me to part 2 of my dilemma. And please, no lectures on this part. I have learned my lesson about RC a.k.a. Registry Cleaners. [boo, hiss... ]

Okay... I found out that when adobe tried to update, there was a problem with the download. So I searched the web and purchased this so-called registry cleaner. Remember, no lectures please. Any how, I let it scan and do its thing...twice, not realizing the potential problems that were about to occur.

Now my System Restore points say location not available.

Also, my game folder, along with a few others, now have this message when I click onto it:
" This file does not have a program association with it for performing the action. Create an association in the set association control panel".

Okay......WTH does that mean????? I only know the basics of computers, nothing serious. Never had a problem that I couldn't figure out before but I've searched the internet for a solution but to no avail.

I have since then e-mailed the company with which I bought it from and very little help was received. I don't even think they read my complaint. I told them I had Vista and the problems I was having only for them to say, and I love this part, " go to the backup/restore on the managing page for the RC and go to the earliest restore point". Well, I would have except for one thing..... it says NOT compatible with Vista/Windows 7. Do these so called techs know their own products????? Evidently not.....

I have since then asked for a refund fund, being as I was not aware of compatibility issues, only for them to tell me to scan again, it will help my computer.

I replied nooooo way.... my computer is worse now because of it. I'm afraid of scanning it again.

Any how, long story short, does any one have any ideas on what to do?

1) How do I fix my System Restore
......oh yeah, I have 60% free space on C drive. For the D drive, it shows 0 bytes used/free. And an "UNKNOWN" location.

2) What does it mean by create an association in the Set Association control panel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Only one thing, layman's term please. I'm no computer techie so I'm not familiar with the jargon.

Frustrated and irked big time.....

And I'm still at a location where the internet speed is terrible, so I may not get to reply accordingly.

Thanks for any ideas.......

And I know, never use RC. Lesson learned, trust me.
edit on 16-7-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Ok for problem 1 can you go to computer then system properties. Then click system protection. Then report back what is ticked for restore points. I have a feeling that your system is trying to restore from a corrupt backup partition.

As for the second issue you need to clarify exactly what file type you are having problems with i.e. its full name for instance "example.type"

Good luck.
edit on 16-7-2012 by murch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Its a bit hard to diagnose without getting my hands on it but you have given a good explanation so i will have a stab at it.

The order in which you have described what has happened inst really clear.

1 - you got blue screen.
2 - you noticed no restore points.
3 - you noticed a failed update from adobe.
4 - you used a registry cleaner .. twice.
5 - System Restore points say location not available (im not sure what you mean by this).
6 - You have lost file associations on something (not sure what at this point).

It seems like you had a small potentially fixable problem which you have made into a potentially unfixable problem by using a registry cleaner that you did not need to use.

Also, my game folder, along with a few others, now have this message when I click onto it:
" This file does not have a program association with it for performing the action. Create an association in the set association control panel".

This im a bit confused about as this is a message that usually happens when you click a file and not a folder. Either way it can be cause by an error or corruption in the registry. The correct action to take regarding this problem would depend on what you are actually trying to click.

As you said you dont know a whole lot about computers then in the long run it might be that the easiest thing for you to do is to do a re-install of the system to totally fix things.

If this is the case then id try a repair install first from the install dvd. Some info here

I dont usually recommend doing a re-install.

edit on 16-7-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Probably be easier to just reinstall Windows from either your Windows CD or computer makers restore CD.when turning on computer press f9 or what ever key it tells you on the screen to enter BIOS,when it opens go to tab about boot priority and select your cd/DVD drive as first boot drive,go to save and exit tab.your computer will boot from disc now.simply follow instructions on screen when disc boots.this would be quicker and you can't beat a fresh install.not sure about Vista but Windows 7 will save all your documents,pictures etc in a folder called Windows.old when reinstalled,but you will have to reinstall any programs you added yourself.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Reformat, install windows 7. It's less of a resource hog. You probably picked up some spyware, virus, Trojan, or rootkit. Malwarebytes and nod32 should clear that up. I'd still go with reformatting and installing windows 7 instead. I can tell you how to do this all for free, but most likely it's against the terms of service of this site. For some reason ATS hates freedom of speech. Good luck!
edit on 16-7-2012 by PatriotAct because: autocorrect was autowrong

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
From what I've read you've gone well over the way to fixing it.

Reinstall dows.

I know you say no lectures.. but... HOLY BUCKETS... you didn't purchase a registry cleaner, you purchased a PC killer. Any registry cleaner that does a good job, is free. Pay for ones are scams.

when you fuxor the registry, you are in the deep end. Reinstall windows.

Otherwise, there are a bazillion remedies for a bazillion similar problems, and a bazillion ineffective results.

Copy all you docs/files/etc to a separate drive. If you can take an image of the system drive so if you do lose anything, you can extract it later. I fear the only answer from a non-hands on point of view, is reinstall.

I agree with whoever up there said windows 7. It's very flexible and easy going.

If it were possible to get hands on, it would be most likely to resolve it... but as we're all over the planet, you will need to pay to get that sort of service, so best thing I suggest it get everything you require off it - bookmarks, my documents, saved files, etc if theyre on the defaults, and just bin that install and redo it.

Good luck, make sure you always have all the drivers you require to get back onto the internet too, you can always get video drivers, sound drivers, etc, later.. if you rebuild with no nic support, it's a hassle believe me!

edit on 16-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

This im a bit confused about as this is a message that usually happens when you click a file and not a folder.

100% the reg cleaner killed the associations to the registry for explorer to open folders.

Folders are just objects the same as files. If explorer loses it's association to it, it will not know what to do with it.

And that's a bastard to fix. So many avenues to check, and likely none will resolve it.

Definite reinstall required imo. Quicker than spending weeks trying things that can indeed make it worse.

It's scary how these reg cleaners force you to feel they are needed -- and then at the end of the day, hey you can pay them to fix it for you (after they've made things worse)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I found a potential fix for the file association problem

See the page here and run the programs for 'file' and 'folder'.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Take this machine to a technician and get it fixed properly. If you can't stay in one place long enough to do that, then back up your personal data, and use the system recovery program Gateway put under the "All Programs" folder, or at start up. This will restore the machine back to factory.

You will of course need to go through a lot of Windows updates, but as it is, you are just digging yourself a deeper hole each time you try to fix things you don't understand. Oh, and forget the Geek Squad or Staples. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I have backup on external hard drive, which up until now, never needed.

To be honest, not sure how to use it if need to.

I can still use the internet but I may have used the wrong term "file/folder", regardless of it's proper name, I don't understand the message I receive when I click on a game.

And I can't figure out the "backup drive location not available"...... also, how can my D drive have 0 bytes for both used & free? Location "unknown"..... strange.

That's why I have searched trying to find similar problems to see if any one has any knowledge of this.

So far it seems I may have to re-install [not sure what that would involve exactly] or go to Windows 7. Or just plug along for now the way it is. And keep trying to fix what may or may not be fixable.

Thanks a bunch.....

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified Oh, and forget the Geek Squad or Staples. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Oh, we learned this a loooong tome ago. We were looking into routers at that time. We always research and look around, ask questions before we buy any thing. And we knew more than they did. And that's saying a lot!!!!

But no seriously, about my computer, I have not done any thing to it yet. That's why I'm asking around for peoples thoughts and ideas. I know there are some computer techies here so I thought I'd see what every ones opinions were.

I can still use it, it's more of an annoyance than any thing. It just bugs me that what they claimed to "help" my computer made it not function properly.

Thanks....

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I have a question, again.....

I dug through my personal records and found my original paper work on the Gateway PC and the discs that were installed on it from the very beginning.

One disc says:
GATEWAY RECOVERY [1 of 2]

The second disc says:
ACER RECOVERY [2 OF 2]

Then there's a third disc that says:
GATEWAY APPLICATION & DRIVERS

So, with what I've got, and I'm still not touching any thing until I'm sure of what to do, is this a possible fix to the problem?

And if so, what steps do I take?

Thanks....

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Some of the symptoms you describe sound like an infection you won't find with a normal anti-virus. And damage done to registry entries as well as system files, and file associations. As you now doubly know, never use a registry cleaner. And I would add, never, ever, pay for an anti-virus.

Computers are what I do for a living, and have for a very long time. Most people wind up costing themselves more money in the long run by not just getting it fixed properly to start with. This is why I made the statement above.

Good luck. Wish I could be of more help. but what you've described tells me you need a tech. In person.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

As I stated in a previous post, and forgive me if this is a repeat, but my internet connection is slooooow.........

I found the original discs that were installed on my PC in the very beginning.

The first disc says:
GATEWAY RECOVERY [1 of 2]

The second disc says:
ACER RECOVERY [2of 2]

Then there's a third disc that says:
GATEWAY APPLICATION & DRIVERS

And no, I'm not messing with any thing, just curious to see if these might be of some use.

I have no intentions on goofing around the computer with out proper guidance and instructions.

That's why I'm here asking for help. If these discs would be useful, I'd need to know what to do.

Right now, my computer is usable, so I'm not tampering with it to make it worse.

Only asking questions..........

Thanks

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Would I run all of them or just some?

I checked out the site but am not familiar with the codes, what they stand for. Which named file goes with what description?

In other words, say the MS game folder/file. Which thing do I click on for that particular choice?

Thanks for your input.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I think i linked you to the wrong page as you have windows vista and not windows 7.

The windows vista page for the files is This page.

You said at first that you were having a problem running a folder and there's a reg file there that would fix that. But since then you have said that you might have made a mistake specifying if it was file/ folder.

If its not a folder you are having problems running then you would have to match up the file extension of the file you are trying to run with the reg file fix on the page and run that program to re-write the registry entry (file association).

Most game files are .exe files and there is a reg fix for .exe on that page. But if you are really not sure what the file extension is for the file you are trying to run then it might be better if you didnt just pick them at random.

But if it is a folder you are trying to open then choose the reg fix for 'folder' on that page.

You can right click what you are trying to run and choose 'properties' to find out the file extension.

But at the end of the day if you are really unsure then dont run any of them. Because at the moment you cant back up your registry because you cant set a restore point so playing about with the registry is a bit risky for you.

Sry i cant be of more help right now or this post sounds a bit confusing but Its 2:30 am and im falling asleep. Ill answer any questions you have tomorrow if you need some more help.

edit on 16-7-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Don't worry, I ain't touchin' nothing !!!

The message read:
" This file does not have a program association with it for performing the action."

That's why I assumed it was a "file'. Sorry if I misspoke & called it the wrong term.

All I know is when I go to start and open my game section, I receive that message. All my games in that file/folder, which ever it's called, has the same message displayed when I click on it.

Thanks again.....

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Okay, sorry to bug you again. And no, I'm not messing with any thing, just looking.

I found my association panel & noticed that all the games extensions have been deleted & replaced by the name of the game itself. No extension code, just the title in its place.

Also I noticed, all my Microsoft Help stuff and MS backup stuff is listed as "unknown" but it does have a code in the extension list [.hxa/ .hxc/.hxd and so on]. The picture next to it is empty.

Not sure what that means but atleast I figured out how to find my assoc. panel.

Any suggestions? For tomorrow, that is.

Good night........

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Well if its games you are trying run then its probably .exe files that are giving you the problems. If thats the case then you need to reset the .exe file associations. you should be able to do that by running the reg file for 'exe' at this page if its vista that you have.

If you are unsure what the file extension is you can right click the file you want to run and it should tell you the file extension in the information box. If its a shortcut you are trying to run then you should see a box that says 'target' in the file properties (after right click the file and selecting properties) and that will tell you the file extension of the target file.

You can also got right to microsofts help website technet and look up information on the problem by clicking here but that could be a bit confusing for you. Either way the option is there if you want to read up on it.
edit on 17-7-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Thanks a bunch for your time..... I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out when guided in the right direction. I'm always cautious and when unsure, I ask.

So, thank you........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join