It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain the importance of a BOB, BOL, BOV???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
i never even heard of these things til recently. So it makes some sense. Explain a scenario in which these would be important and how you'd use them in combination to protect yourself in the event of an emergency? and what are the basics items that should be included in each of these items? ie: where would you have your BOL? or Should your BOV be one that you use daily or something that is a secret? or What should you put in your BOB?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Ive been thinking of a thread I might create regarding this. But KISS Keep it simple stupid. Every BOB should only contain that which you intend to carry by foot if necessary and only things that would be of use. Unfortunately bullets and guns and other weapons will weigh you down, so you have to pack accordingly.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   
What is a BOB, BOL, & BOV?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here is a scenario summed up by a NYT best selling survival author. COA Analysis of Common Survival Strategies James Wesley Rawles

I am talking here about a total collapse situation, not a slow slide decline or regional disruption. You can pick your own cause from an EMP event to a finance system failure. They all cause roughly the same sequence of events.

The vast majority of people live in urban or suburban areas near large population centers. They are poorly prepared for any emergency and completely unable to live self sufficiently. The food production systems that currently supply their food are fragile and subject to catastrophic failure. Most people's very lives depend on a fragile triad made up of the transportation network, power grid and finance system. All three of these systems depend on the other two and they are all three unbelievably fragile.

Bugging out is going to be very popular, even for people who have no place to go. Once the power is off and the sewage starts backing up, the cities are going to start losing people. Most people are going to sit tight until they get hungry and then either attempt a bug-out or try to barter/beg/or loot food. The exodus may begin immediately or be delayed several days (depending on the scenario). Either way, the refugees will generally try to leave in family groups. They will mostly follow interstates, highways, state roads, and farm roads, in that order. While there is order, the roads may be jammed with cars leaving the cities going nowhere. In practice, almost everyone is going to be driving out of the city with a definite destination in mind. Some relative, some small town they know of, etc. Most of these destinations are going to be just as bad as the ones they just left, but these will be desperate people.

Many of them are going to seriously overestimate their vehicle range. Most of those thousands of cars on the interstate are going to run out of gasoline in a matter of hours and wherever they finally run out, that's where the occupants are going to start walking. Of course most of them are going to pull off the highways and interstates just before they run out and mob every town along the highway. (This is a historic fact, proven by every hurricane evacuation we have ever attempted).

I expect people to turn very nasty when they run out of fuel. When they cannot buy fuel or food, the towns along America's highways will be filled with armed, hungry desperate people who may kill for a gallon of gas or a drink of water. Sound like fantasy? Don't bet on it. It's happened even during regional crisis with help on the way. People are not going to starve to death quietly. Every last one of them is going to try something to survive or even just hang on one more day. Humans are survivors. They are intelligent, ruthless and deadly omnivores.

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but food for thought anyways.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Bug Out Bag
Bug Out Location
Bug Out Vehicle

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

A BOB is a Bug Out Bag, a bag you fit with bare essentials needed to survive in an emergency for at most 72 hours. Nothing for long term survival, just the basics, where you're expecting to come home again soon.

BOL is Bug Out Location. Basically off the grid where you will survive.

BOV is Bug Out Vehicle. Small transport to and from your BOL.

INCH is In Not Coming Home bag.. It's basically a fully kitted bag with long term supplies, non-perishable foods like MREs, flints, necessary essentials you will be using to survive long term. A lot heavier and cumbersome than a BOB.

You have to put a lot of consideration into an INCH bag. A BOB you can have handy by the front door for an emergency situation... an Inch bag you will rely on long term.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I think I have the best plan!
In my BOB, I will have the batsuit and utility belt.
My BOV will be the batmobile.
And my BOL will be the batcave!
Now all I need is a few billion greenbacks to make this work...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I think for most the bob and the bov are obvious. That's pretty easy. All that's left is the bol. So some people might know someone that has an acerage or farm or cabin, or they might even have there own. And as long as you know the people well enough you could just go there. Keep in mind that everyone else who knows them might be clamoring to try and secure a spot on there little BOL. Especially when the shtf. So for most I don't think that would work out all that well.

Here's a solution I found out about that might help some of you who don't have a lot of money to spare. What you do is your buy a canvas wall tent and stove. They come in all kinds of different sizes to fit anything from a single to a whole family. So if you really shop around you might be able to find both these items used for under 500. Maybe as little as 250 if you're lucky. The great thing about these are that if you're located anywhere in say a southern state or coastal area they'd easily keep you warm enough. Possible even a mild winter climate.

The other advantage is that it's just a tent so in terms of legalities I couldn't see you running into much trouble as it would be considered just the same as if you were going camping. It's not a permanent structure so the worst that could happen is that either you're asked to take it down, or maybe someone takes it if they find it.

So if you don't have a BOL and are not sure if you'd have one if the shtf. What you could do is get a tent and a stove. The stove is just a typical wall tent stove you can buy used from a lot of places. You can even make them out of an old steal barrel. So then what you do is you find the ideal location. Something with maybe a stream and a lake. Or something by the coast with a stream. I mean I'm not exactly sure what the location would be like as I don't have anything set up myself. But my guess is you'd need a water supply, possibly somewhere to grow some crops, and or a forest that would allow you to get wood for the stove and possible hunt or trap in.

So in doing this if you get it right you'd have your location, and your shelter. You'd need to ensure you could either get your tent to the location or somehow store it at the location to be set up if needed. Anyway I think it's a very viable option for those who don't have much money or don't have any land or permanent structure to go to. fyi

I guess that being said the upgrade to this might just be a fifthwheel trailer. The only draw back is you can only get it to certain locations that have decent roads. And you'd have to store it somewhere and it's not gonna be cheap. But you might be able to find a small used one for a few thousand which isn't too bad as you could then just use it for camping as well.

edit on 16-7-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

If you live in a warmer climate you might consider as an alternative to a tent, a simple hammock that you could hang between two trees. They are light and easy enough to pack away. Personally I have a tent for now, but when I find one I like I'm gonna purchase a hammock just in case. I also found a pretty cool flannel blanket that folds away into a pillow, when you take the blanket out of the pillow case the pillow case inflates into a pillow. For $5 dollars at walmart that was a bargain and its small and lightweight, I love it.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
One scenario, if you dont have at least one of them when the time comes your SOL

I keep 2 BOB and BOB jr. Bob is a med ALICE on a frame that stays at home. Bob jr. is a 3 day assault pack that stays in the truck always.

Contents as follows
BOB:. 24x12 tarp, sleeping bag/mat set, 2cans of sterno with stove, fire making tools, food for 7 days (noodles,soups,candy and others), knives and saw, multitool, 1st aid, rope (550,repel), beiners, harness, compass, flashlight, change of clothes, Bino's, water purification Just to name a few.

Bob jr: 10x6 tarp, thick wool blanket, fire making tools, first aid, compass, knives, 550 cord, beiners, 3 days MRE's, water purification, clean socks,

edit on 16-7-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Folks in survival forums usually talk about SHTF, or major collapses or calamities, but let me give some examples that are a lot more useful.

Some friends of friends of mine were recently affected by the Colorado Fires. They had sheriff's deputies coming by their house and updating them from time to time. One deputy told them they were still in the clear for now, but be ready to leave if anything changed, and before he was even out of the driveway, things changed! He came back and said, "let's go." No time, no more prep, leave that very second, and their house was on fire within minutes. The Bug Out Bag was EXTREMELY important!

Another scenario, for a BOV was the tornadoes in Joplin, MO. Several friends of mine lost homes in the Tornado, hotels were full, hospital facilities were destroyed, and they had friends and family that were missing as well. SO, having a vehicle that just happened to be prepared ahead of time was paramount! Lucky for them, they had some bottled water, some first aid, a full tank of gas. When they should have been panicking and looking for help from authorities, instead they were volunteering and helping the authorities in the rescue effort!

In Florida, when they evacuate for a hurricane, it is not uncommon to get trapped on an interstate for hours, or even days. You get away from the coast, but then you often hit gridlock. Having a BOV, and a BOB comes in very, very handy to make sure you comfortably survive the inconvenience.

When I was a child, we set out on a trip across Western Texas, and New Mexico, and the fuel pump went out on my parent's vehicle somewhere around White Sands. It was over 100 degrees, and at least 50 miles in either direction for help. This was 30 years ago, and there weren't cell phones, we didn't have a CB, and traffic was extremely light where we were. My Mom had luckily packed up a cooler of food and water, and extra water for my baby brother, she always carried blankets and pillows, and in the trunk were some tools and a tarp among other things. We got out, made a makeshift lean-to tent for shade, and sipped the water, and waited for a good samaritan! Mom's planning probably saved our lives at the time.

A BOB, and having your vehicle prepped as a BOV, and keeping the tank full of gas, and having a plan for your family for a rendezvous point should things get out of control while you're separated are just good ideas for any family, whether you are a conspiracy theorist or not.

edit on 16-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Typical realistic scenario.....your house catches fire and you have to leave quickly. I have a backpack each for me and my two kids ready to go, within reach full of enough stuff to look after you for a couple of days. Food, water, meds, papers (ID), clothes, small tent for shelter if needed, cash.

There is more in there but you get the idea. Now change "house fire" to any other scenario you can realistically think that you could come across in your area, thats why you have a BOB.

Bags size and contents may change for different events, but generally i'm just interested in getting out and having enough to keep me fed, watered and cozy for a few days.

There are so many threads on these here, take a trip to the search box top right there, you'll enjoy the info you find.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join