It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists: A God Might Not be Impossible

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Annee

Love is caring about a person's happiness. That's about it.

IMO - - that is a very small part.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Everything else in love stems from caring deeply about the person's happiness.

If you don't agree, describe it in your own words, then.

edit on 17-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I'll try to get back to this - - after I get the 4 year old border line very high functioning Asperger grandson to bed - - take care of hubby - - yada yada Real Life. Seriously!

Not an attempt to shuck this off.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm a computer dude so it was an example I could provide knowing I was on target.

Despite that, analogous situations could be drawn thousands of years ago. Take farming for example. Plants will grow on their own, but without a 3rd person perspective on crops and farming plants will never up and form crops of their own accord. We have to manipulate them to do so, and although we don't have a complete knowledge set of farming that is beside the point. The point is that we can observe, not from the first person, the actions of things and we can use that information to our benefit. If we held the first person perspective of a plant, this information would not be so straightforward - we would have to plunge around in the dark until we got our answers.

This is too hard for me to explain myself haha. I'll just leave it at that. Its a neat thought

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

I'll try to get back to this - - after I get the 4 year old border line very high functioning Asperger grandson to bed - - take care of hubby - - yada yada Real Life. Seriously!

Sounds like love to me

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

Sounds like love to me

Thanks. I carried him in a sling next to my body practically 24 hours a day - - - until he was too heavy to carry (circumstances beyond our control is reason I have him).

Responsibility - - a major component of Love that is often not given its due.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I've seen women in stiuations like yours. You have my sympathy and admiration. Anyway, I think you answered his question with deeds instead of words.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

Not really, because everyone expresses it differently. To be sure, her answer was more than sufficient for her end of things (and major props on that subject, as well!
) but it isn't a universal display, any more than a Jack Russel is a universal picture for canines.

Responsibility is an offshoot of caring. If you don't care, you don't take responsibility. If you care, you take responsibility because you care enough to see it through. Caring is the driving factor for most of the concepts that are associated with love. With caring, none of those things would happen...or very few, anyway.

Get what I'm saying?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

No sympathy is necessary for the joy that comes from seeing a child laugh because you loved him. The happiness of a human being you love is worth more than any sympathetic gesture.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Responsibility is an offshoot of caring. If you don't care, you don't take responsibility. If you care, you take responsibility because you care enough to see it through. Caring is the driving factor for most of the concepts that are associated with love. With caring, none of those things would happen...or very few, anyway.

A person can care - - and be irresponsible. A person can be responsible (duty) - - without caring.

I don't see anything as being an off-shoot of something else. Many factors make a whole.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

A person can be responsible (duty) - - without caring.

I've never known a person to have a duty, fulfil it, and not care. They have to care somewhat if their doing they're duty. It's easier to do nothing when you don't care, otherwise your efforts are pointless.

A person can care - - and be irresponsible.

Love is perfect, but our expression of love is imperfect. We're humans, it's to be expected.

I don't see anything as being an off-shoot of something else. Many factors make a whole.

Everything leads to something else. If you don't understand this, I can't help you.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What is Love?

Most people that have had OBEs - - know about the "gray" place. Experiencing that all-encompassing - 100% unconditional spiritual/energy love is amazing. Duplicating that experience/feeling in the physical world is not possible.

The physical world requires action - - not just a feeling/energy/emotion.

I was part of the "Flower Power Love" generation. It was wonderful. But without responsibility - - it was useless.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I've never known a person to have a duty, fulfil it, and not care. They have to care somewhat if their doing they're duty. It's easier to do nothing when you don't care, otherwise your efforts are pointless.

That is unrealistic - - - and dramatic.

People have jobs they hate. But they have to eat to stay alive.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Everything leads to something else. If you don't understand this, I can't help you.

If you remove sugar from a pie - - its not a pie.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The reason we can't experience it fully is because the vibration triggers a chemical reaction, and chemicular sensations only impart so much data. The physical world is atrocious...or more precisely, the nature it has instilled in us is atrocious.

I'm not talking about spiritual love. I'm talking about the emotional manifestation we experience as comprehensive humans. And yes, action does support emotions...but sometimes, it encourages us to act without emotion, purely on a logical basis. And there's the clincher: logic has no morals, only an objective and the most effective means of reaching that objective.

If that means killing a child for food, then so be it. No morals involved. That's our problem as a left-brain society: logic, logic, logic. Point A to Point B, no questions about whether we should or whether there's another way we like more. We are programmed to want a certain thing, we are programmed to believe a certain thing that requires we want that other thing, and we are triggered to race as fast as we can toward that destination.

Because of this, love is obsolete. Love doesn't make money. Love interferes with the regime. Why do you think modern culture is all about physical, external stimuli? We are trained to avoid love at all costs. Love just reveals too much about the emotional world, and undermines the current regime.

Such is the cost of materialism.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The sugar is part of the process leading to the finished pie.
Are you arguing or agreeing? I have a feeling we're talking about the same thing, but we're looking from different sides.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Perhaps but an omnipotent intelligent designer with continuing influence? Not to mention Souls the afterlife or the will of god

All of which stretch intelligent design past the breaking point when used by religions to try to salvage their creator from understanding

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

If I were to look anywhere for an understanding of a creator, a Bible written by people who use canes on children for being kids would not be it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by jiggerj

Perhaps but an omnipotent intelligent designer with continuing influence? Not to mention Souls the afterlife or the will of god

All of which stretch intelligent design past the breaking point when used by religions to try to salvage their creator from understanding

Ha! I'm imagining more of a stupid human-like entity that blew himself up in an experiment gone wrong, and our universe was accidentally created. Seems most of our inventions are by accident.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

The sugar is part of the process leading to the finished pie.

Yes it is. It takes all the ingredients.

Remove one - - you don't get pie.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join