It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Matter Self Aware?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by g2v12

Thank-You for the clarification....I couldn't remember all the details. Some really facinating experiments have been done on water also, Dr. Emoto has done some amazing things showing how water seems to react to "emotions"....wild stuff.......here is a great video on the subject.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
]consciousness wouldn't exist without matter.

I think it's funny that you speak like you know for certain.

Please point us to the biochemical process responsible for the conscious experience. I eagerly await.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpig221

Please point us to the biochemical process responsible for the conscious experience. I eagerly await.

I think its funny you speak as if you know for certain.

Please point me to consciousness without matter. I eagerly await. But I won't hold my breath.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Yes, matter feels that it must be observed, so that it can prove that tests and theories can be done with it. if not then what's the #ing point to test and theorize. Anyways, since no one is a believer, i'm supposed to quit helping you people out. Goodbye!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Merely for the sake of discussion, I'll play. Could be very very wrong, but this is what I've got.

Can a leg bend at the knee without consciousness connected to it in some way? No. Can the heart pump blood throughout the body without it being connected to the brain? No.

So, though the parts of the body aren't conscious, they must be connected to consciousness in some way. Why would it be any different for all the matter in the universe?

The white cells in the body make their way to a cut or a disease in order to cure or heal it. These cells aren't thinking entities, but they must be connected to some kind of intelligence in order to get the job done. In order for the stuff in the universe to clump together into matter, wouldn't the same principle apply?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

We are self aware and what are we made of?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Ralphy

We are self aware and what are we made of?

Yes, exactly...Water....87% I believe.......

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Please point me to consciousness without matter. I eagerly await. But I won't hold my breath.

If consciousness can effect matter beyond the confines of the human body (i.e the double slit experiment) would not the next logical step suggest that consciousness is not bound by matter, and therefore does not need it to exist....?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I just recently watched a cartoony science thingy on YouTube where they fired some sort of particles at a wall through some holes (yes, I know my description is pretty bad).

When there was no apparent observation, the particles didn't behave like they were supposed to, however when they made it apparent they were observing the particles suddenly behaved like they were expected to, as if they knew......

In short, I think they were trying to say there was some level of intelligence there, and I think even Dr. Brian Cox touched on the subject at one point.

I shall rack my brains and try and remember what it was called, it was some kind of 3d animated professor, very Einstein like in appearance.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
I wanted to get your opinions on matter being self aware or not.

Many believe that a big bang happened and from there matter slowly evolved into planets and eventually cells came to be. Now during the time of the big bang it is safe to say there was no one(person) to witness it, so if matter existed and no one was around to see it, did matter have to be self aware to exist?

If matter is self aware does it have consciousness? If matter isn't self aware then how does matter exist outside of consciousness or at a time when no one(person) is around to see that it indeed does/did exist?

I think I'm trying to ask opinions on how does matter exist without anyone to see it if it isn't self aware?
edit on 15-7-2012 by Ralphy because: spelling

What if there is only one consciousness which contains many different awareness's? What if the universe is merely the body, the physical manifestation of this one Universal Consciousness?

What if the entire reason matter time and space exist is for this one Universal Consciousness to get to know, to experience itself as all that ever was, is and will be manifested? Does your question still stand if there is only one mind with all matter belonging to the one body?

If something is is aware of only very small portion of its true self is it truly self aware, and is it more or less self aware than something such as a rock who holds no such illusions about the true nature of itself.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I just recently watched a cartoony science thingy on YouTube where they fired some sort of particles at a wall through some holes (yes, I know my description is pretty bad).

When there was no apparent observation, the particles didn't behave like they were supposed to, however when they made it apparent they were observing the particles suddenly behaved like they were expected to, as if they knew......

In short, I think they were trying to say there was some level of intelligence there, and I think even Dr. Brian Cox touched on the subject at one point.

I shall rack my brains and try and remember what it was called, it was some kind of 3d animated professor, very Einstein like in appearance.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

That's the one, I found it quite fascinating, thanks for finding it for me, I would recommend people give it a little watch.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

If matter is self aware does it have consciousness? If matter isn't self aware then how does matter exist outside of consciousness or at a time when no one(person) is around to see that it indeed does/did exist?

I wouldn't say matter is self aware, I think it materialises accordingly to consciousness. It doesn't exist outside of consciousness, just like a part of an online game world is not rendered by a computer, when noone's character is looking directly at that part of that online world.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There has been some great feedback in this thread.

The poster above me mentioned a computer analogy and that was what inspired me to actually write this thread.

Every image on the screen is rendered by the computer, usually cpu or graphics processor. Every image is made up of pixels that are put in their correct place by the computer hardware. Not only are they put on the screen but they are sustainable on the screen in their respective places to give an illusion of existing on the screen.

Although the images exist on the screen, even ones we don't see, there is hardware accounting for it.

I'm not trying to prove matter needs consciousness, I'm just speculating and trying to get other perspectives.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

If consciousness can effect matter beyond the confines of the human body (i.e the double slit experiment) would not the next logical step suggest that consciousness is not bound by matter, and therefore does not need it to exist....?

You should look into the double split experiment a bit more and read the what the physicists and reviewers have to say. The only ones who assert that it is consciousness affecting the result are pseudo-scientists such as Deepak Chopra who aim to fit it into their biased metaphysics and men who are trying to sell books.

Either way, interpretations are only conjecture.
edit on 16-7-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Why would matter need to be self-aware to exist?

He's thinking in "We create our reality" terms...I think

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

You should look into the double split experiment a bit more and read the what the physicists and reviewers have to say. The only ones who assert that it is consciousness affecting the result are pseudo-scientists such as Deepak Chopra who aim to fit it into their biased metaphysics and men who are trying to sell books.

Either way, interpretations are only conjecture.
edit on 16-7-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

I'm sure you meant Double Slit*. Also, either side of the argument is still theory. Anything is possible.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Please point me to where I claimed I know for certain.

At least I'm not claiming consciousness IS a physical construct of the brain, which surely could be explained and chemically recreated, no?

You are claiming something is tangible without any proof of its tangibility!
That's pretty bold and sounds a lot like something non physical to me! We already know there are things that DO exist beyond our sensory perception. Hell, even our sensory perception differs for people and is not concrete.

It must scare you to leave your comfy little box and possibly be wrong, huh? Think of the implications!
edit on 7-16-12 by warpig221 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You should look into the double split experiment a bit more and read the what the physicists and reviewers have to say.

Or how about you tell us what these 'physicists and reviewers have to say' instead, since you are bringing it up?

Or are you avoiding that because it does support your thesis? At any rate, I think Richard Feynman is much more knowledgeable on the subject than yourself.

"a phenomenon which is impossible ... to explain in any classical way, and which has in it the heart of quantum mechanics. In reality, it contains the only mystery [of quantum mechanics]."

edit on 7-16-12 by warpig221 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
I wanted to get your opinions on matter being self aware or not.

Many believe that a big bang happened and from there matter slowly evolved into planets and eventually cells came to be. Now during the time of the big bang it is safe to say there was no one(person) to witness it, so if matter existed and no one was around to see it, did matter have to be self aware to exist?

I think I'm trying to ask opinions on how does matter exist without anyone to see it if it isn't self aware?
edit on 15-7-2012 by Ralphy because: spelling

What if there is only one consciousness which contains many different awareness's? What if the universe is merely the body, the physical manifestation of this one Universal Consciousness?

What if the entire reason matter time and space exist is for this one Universal Consciousness to get to know, to experience itself as all that ever was, is and will be manifested? Does your question still stand if there is only one mind with all matter belonging to the one body?

If something is is aware of only very small portion of its true self is it truly self aware, and is it more or less self aware than something such as a rock who holds no such illusions about the true nature of itself.

It makes sense that all consciousness is the same conscious just different awareness. So were aware of our body And the universe is aware of the matter and protons which make it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join