It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama May Impose New Title IX Quota on Math and Science Students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
story from TownHall.com
July 14, 2012

Obama May Impose New Title IX Quota on Math and Science Students

This article is suggesting the possibility that the Obama Administration may be looking for one way to bolster the Dept of Education by initiating a new "quota" aimed at professional levels of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, also known as STEM.

By using the grant system to universities and colleges, the quota would appear to be "allowing" more women and less men into science training.

The author(s) claim that no genuine problem even exists in the first place.

The focus perhaps is on Title IX "equality" ?

Can somebody explain the details and point to who any "behind the scenes" beneficiaries might be ?

President Obama recently signaled that he will take action to create ‘equality’ for women in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). The Obama administration’s decision to push for more female representation in STEM coincides with the 40th anniversary of Title IX. Indications are that the Obama administration will implement a new Title IX quota through the Department of Education. Via the Competitive Enterprise Institute:

Quotas limiting the number of male students in science may be imposed by the Education Department in 2013. The White House has promised that “new guidelines will also be issued to grant-receiving universities and colleges” spelling out “Title IX rules in the science, technology, engineering and math fields.” These guidelines will likely echo existing Title IX guidelines that restrict men’s percentage of intercollegiate athletes to their percentage in overall student bodies, thus reducing the overall number of intercollegiate athletes. ..... [story continues]

Many people think that "quotas" in professional fields always lead to possible "under educated" scientists.

They also feel that "highly" qualified individuals can easily be "stepped over" in favor of less qualified people.

How and who makes the "determination" ??

Strange dilemma.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thats right just like health care instead of helping everyone out he will just take away everything so everyone is equal.

"Sorry your a white guy, and we have to fill these other slots"

This disgusts me I opened the thread hoping for something good... ah well s n f for u

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Maybe if corporations and society didn't only peddle dolls and easy bake ovens to little girls there would be more woman scientists.

edit on 15-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
To hell with this bull. Women, just like black people and hispanic people, have plenty of oppurtunity. Infact, i was recently disgusted to find a grant only available to women for flight school. Yeah, f men. Women just have to freaking try. Most would rather find a sugardaddy.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well this has not even been implemented yet...it's just another case of "What Obama might do" a game that neo-cons have been playing for the past 4 years in order to spread fear and propaganda.

Oddly enough as soon as I opened the link you provided, a window popped up advertising a book called the "Great Destroyer" with a picture of Obama on the cover of it.

Biased much?

Baloney detection kit is detecting something!!
edit on 7/15/2012 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Yep, that's my new fad..

To find a sugar daddy.

Patience is a virtue though.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Well this has not even been implemented yet...it's just another case of "What Obama might do" a game that neo-cons have been playing for the past 4 years in order to spread fear and propaganda.

Oddly enough as soon as I opened the link you provided, a window popped up advertising a book called the "Great Destroyer" with a picture of Obama on the cover of it.

Biased much?

The link inside the article quote has a better explanation.

Via the Competitive Enterprise Institute

That link points to a Reuters story that apparently quotes the White House !!!!!!!
White House expands Title IX support to science, tech

WASHINGTON, June 20 | Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45am IST

(Reuters) - The White House announced new measures Wednesday to help increase the number of women in the science, math and technology fields as part of a celebration for the 40-year anniversary of a law prohibiting discrimination in education based on gender.

The new guidelines are reinforcements to the law, known as Title IX.

Is the White House biased much

edit on Jul-15-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by muse7

Biased much?

The link inside the article quote has a better explanation.

Via the Competitive Enterprise Institute

That link points to a Reuters story that apparently quotes the White House !!!!!!!
White House expands Title IX support to science, tech

WASHINGTON, June 20 | Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:45am IST

(Reuters) - The White House announced new measures Wednesday to help increase the number of women in the science, math and technology fields as part of a celebration for the 40-year anniversary of a law prohibiting discrimination in education based on gender.

The new guidelines are reinforcements to the law, known as Title IX.

Is the White House biased much

edit on Jul-15-2012 by xuenchen because:

And where does it say there that this will limit the number of male students?

I have to admit, you would give Joseph Goebbels a run for his money

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Quotas limiting the number of male students in science may be imposed by the Education Department in 2013. The White House has promised that “new guidelines will also be issued to grant-receiving universities and colleges” spelling out “Title IX rules in the science, technology, engineering and math fields.” These guidelines will likely echo existing Title IX guidelines that restrict men’s percentage of intercollegiate athletes to their percentage in overall student bodies, thus reducing the overall number of intercollegiate athletes. (Under the three-part Title IX test created by the Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights, where I used to work, colleges are allowed to temporarily comply by increasing the number of female athletes rather than cutting the number of male athletes, but the only viable permanent way to comply with its rule is to restrict men’s participation relative to women’s participation, reducing overall participation.) Thus, as Charlotte Allen notes, the Obama administration’s guidelines are likely to lead to “science quotas” based on gender.

Quotas Limiting Male Science Enrollment: The New Liberal War on Science

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

It's based on the number of the "minority" that apply for that major. So if only 5 enrolled women are seeking degrees in science, then only 5 men can seek degrees in science regardless of how many men actually apply.

www.examiner.com

(Under the three-part Title IX test created by the Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights, where I used to work, colleges are allowed to temporarily comply by increasing the number of female athletes rather than cutting the number of male athletes, but the only viable permanent way to comply with its rule is to restrict men’s participation relative to women’s participation, reducing overall participation.)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

With that attitude, I'd be shocked if a woman had decided to settle down with you.

I love how some men have been so easily duped into believing that there's a conspiracy against them. Other than the treatment of the father in custody cases, I can't see any other instances of "anti-male" bias.

Society, stop expecting women to be sex symbols and let them them save the friggin world!

new topics

top topics

join