It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Britain's Atlantis' found at bottom of North sea - a huge undersea world swallowed by the sea in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So urce

'Britain's Atlantis' - a hidden underwater world swallowed by the North Sea - has been discovered by divers working with science teams from the University of St Andrews.

Doggerland, a huge area of dry land that stretched from Scotland to Denmark was slowly submerged by water between 18,000 BC and 5,500 BC.

Divers from oil companies have found remains of a 'drowned world' with a population of tens of thousands - which might once have been the 'real heartland' of Europe.

A team of climatologists, archaeologists and geophysicists has now mapped the area using new data from oil companies - and revealed the full extent of a 'lost land' once roamed by mammoths.

Divers from St Andrews University, find remains of Doggerland, the underwater country dubbed 'Britain's Atlantis'

A Greater Britain: How the North Sea grew and the land-mass shrunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another cool Little story I came across that I wanted to share.

I looked around to try and make sure this wasn't a duplicate thread, but, A title for this could really be anything, so, if this is a copy, mod's please delete.

Anyway back on topic.

This is quite the discovery, made by oil companies.

To find the old 'heartland' of Europe is quite intriguing, especially somewhere where no one was looking, well, minus the oil companies.

It really amazes me every time we make a discovery like this how little we actually know about our past.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

edit on 15-7-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
if you put 'doggerland' into the search engine it'll show you all the results so far

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The fact that Doggerland was occupied has been known for some time I thought? But referring to it as "Britain's Atlantis" is a bit too sensationalistic for my liking because as I understand it this was just a humble farming community and not some mythological lost kingdom of untold wealth and power.
How about the small villages that get submerged when we make reservoirs,can we also refer to them as "(insert name of county here) Atlantis".

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
The fact that Doggerland was occupied has been known for some time I thought? But referring to it as "Britain's Atlantis" is a bit too sensationalistic for my liking because as I understand it this was just a humble farming community and not some mythological lost kingdom of untold wealth and power.
How about the small villages that get submerged when we make reservoirs,can we also refer to them as "(insert name of county here) Atlantis".

Sure, I might be sensationalistic, but it wasn't my title.

And to refer to this 'real heartland' of Europe as a village is a little underwhelming, as it was a bustling community that has gone was past a 'village'.

Thanks for your opinion though.

Pred...
edit on 15-7-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join