It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"No War On Iran" Billboards in Oklahoma City

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I came across this and thought it was worth sharing. A group of people have who are part of Americans Against the Next War (AANW) have put up billboards in Oklahoma City that say "No War On Iran".

Oklahoma activists from the group Americans Against the Next War (AANW) are working to prevent military action or war against Iran. They have contracted with a local outdoor advertising company for three billboards, now on display in the metro area, carrying their message: "Tell Congress: No War on Iran." A news conference was held on July 10, in Oklahoma City, to announce the billboards, their metro locations, and present the coalition of churches, organizations and individuals cosponsoring, endorsing and funding the project. Visit www.AmericansAgainstTheNextWar.org.

I have never heard of this group until today but one man in the video describes his own personal reason for being a member and against the upcoming war with Iran. His reason is that he lost his son in the Iraq war and does not want more innocent kids to die fighting unjust wars based on lies.

Here is the link to their website.

Americans Against the Next War

AANW is a coalition of central Oklahoma organizations and citizens with deep concerns about the normalizing of a state of constant war and the lack of voices in the public sphere advocating for non-military solutions to international disagreements. We believe that the prominent voices calling for war on Iran are ill-advised and that their motivations and arguments should be carefully examined by both the Congress and the public. We understand that military action against another sovereign nation is an extremely consequential matter that should not be determined by safely ensconced pundits, but by the American people who will be called on to fund and fight it.

Our work will include writing opinion pieces and letters, promoting and hosting public education forums, meeting with decision makers, circulating petitions, or any other education/advocacy actions that further our goals.

It's refreshing to see groups like these join together to spread a very important message. Hopefully this trend will catch on and possibly influence the war mongers in Washington DC.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The average driver likely doesn't know Iran is a real place. They will probably make some connection to Iraq and then hop on the afganistan war narrative to hunt down terrorists where ever they hide.

I'm glad this group is getting the word out though. Listened to an army chaplain speak today and it reaffirmed my belief that we need to bring everybody home.
It's difficult to discuss though because one side has been given an easy out. Who doesn't want to defend freedom?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more with the sentiment or the story behind it. Now that we're out of Iraq, they tell us, what was it all for? We need to spend a few years as a nation reflecting on that before starting more wars of pure choice.

This is also war from the Med to the Caspian, to the Gulf and around the Indian Ocean. The combatants here will just blow wide open for a regional free for all if the first couple in don't just obliterate each other in a day or two outright.

Nothing good comes here...and what may have looked good years ago when nations stood alone and lonely, ain't the same scene we have today. I hope this kind of thing spreads and the pressure mounts. At least those who try and survive to see the other side of the war can say they did. They absolutely DID try, for all the good it does.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: added survive for context...err..bad double meaning otherwise. lol

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is a great idea and is heart warming to say the least. I commend this group and all other groups who act in a similar fashion.

Hopefully this trend will catch on and possibly influence the war mongers in Washington DC.

The sad reality is that regardless how big the anti-war trend becomes it will never affect the decisions that are made in Washington. They have their minds made up and no "peasant folk" are going to change that.

Another sad reality is that more American blood will be spilled due to wars they have no business fighting in the first place. The Iranian blood that will be spilled is just as valuable. I wish this would all just go away.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I wonder if their opinion would change if Iran did two things: nuke Israel and stop the flow of oil.

But right now I am against any military action, at least until Iran actually does something, like, you know, nuke Israel and stop the flow of oil.

Although the oil issue since they own the oil in their country it is their right to stop the flow of oil, but not anybody else's. I don't think the world would allow Iran to stop the flow of oil in any way shape or form.

And you know who it would fall to if Iran stopped the flow of oil?

That's right. The world would call on the United States. The you know what would happen next. The US would get things done and then Europe would rag on America for doing it.

Such is the cycle of the world community.

Get America to do it then whine some more about America.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Great work from this group in getting the message out.

Now all we need is about 30,000,000 more Americans to give them a hand.

Take THAT to Congress.

I know it can be done, Americans know it can be done. The question is what will it take for it to be done?

Peace

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Let's cut our losses and bring the Team home, and help them get back into civilization.

Enough of this crap for democracy.

Bring our serviceman and women HOME!

Substitute Afghanistan for Vietnam.
Same message different location.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

a war would be a purely aerial launched campaign. Its highly unlikely that a war involving ground forces would occur however with all of that said its in the United States best interest and western world's best interest to avoid a conflict unless full international support is behind them. Furthermore a strike is only a viable option should Iran show behavior that is of a rogue violent/aggressive state. Its safe to say that even with nuclear weapons Iran is not a threat to the United States nor the NATO countries they would be completely destroyed should they attack an allied country not to mention current missile defense in the US is good enough to stop ballistic and ICBM and the shield in Europe is operational and will have fully capable ICBM defensive capabilities by 2020. However one must also take into the world and how it would change should Iran acquire nuclear weapons it would only upset the Chinese, Indians, And Pakistanis it would especially piss of the Turks, Saudis, Israeli's and that of Indians. it would likely cause the Turks and Saudis to wish to seek nuclear weapons and the Indians would only increase their military prowess and in turn the Pakistanis would arm up more. All across the board its safe to say that it would only lead to some degree of instability in the middle east but at the same time it could work to the advantage of NATO and the west as it would drive the saudis' and other states that fear Iran further to the west for protection.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
You have to love the freedom that we have in the US to allow a group to put up billboards about the topic that they are passionate about!

I would rather see us spend the money that a war in Iran would cost in developing our new oil fields. That way nobody dies in a pointless war and the US reduces it's dependence on foreign oil.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlfose
You have to love the freedom that we have in the US to allow a group to put up billboards about the topic that they are passionate about!

I would rather see us spend the money that a war in Iran would cost in developing our new oil fields. That way nobody dies in a pointless war and the US reduces it's dependence on foreign oil.

The point is that by forcing middle east to pump out it's oil , US govt will save it's oil to sell in energy crisis.

That is why America needs to go into war with middle eastern countries rather than any other country in the world.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is a bit offtopic, but No War On Iran spells NWOi

I think I'm spending too much time in here

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Yep, anyone know just how much undeveloped crude we sit on? LOTS....and we aint touchin it unless we absolutly have to. Rule number 1 is use everyone elses before you have to use yer own.

We have so many natural resources on lock down in the guise of national parks on purpose. So that when the time comes...we can get er goin whilst everyone has close to none left.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

Rule number 1 is use everyone elses before you have to use yer own.

right , rule number 1 of greed doctrine.

But it is not some thing they can hide.

some people wanna hide it behind titles such as opportunism or smart actions.

But to me it is the same old greed.
edit on 16-7-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This is something America could use more of. People realizing that war is not something we should ever enter into lightly. Iraq is possibly the absolute best example of this. There was no real reason to go there. Our President made up a list of reasons and the public largely bought into it. American citizens have been disconnected from the politics of war for a very long time, we go to war without a draft, we go to war without raising taxes and rationing material. We go to war without the citizens feeling any of the pain, except those few who have lost friends and members of their family.

I have to wonder if the American public would have got behind invading Iraq so quickly if the President had to say "Okay we need to invade Iraq for these reasons; in order to do so we are reinstating the draft because we do not have the manpower and to pay for it we are going to have to raise your taxes for the duration."

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
The public is waking up theirs no denying that,i see a lot more people questioning the official story and distrust with the goverment,its because of the internet and being able to share ideas and information instantly but before we were all glued to the tv.

I dont think many people are falling for this crap anymore

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Haven't seen them around town yet......

If they close the straights though...all bets are off. That's been US doctrine since Carter.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

I agree, would like to come home but TO WHAT...? No jobs...? or minimum wage work...?

Remember if the military is not needed somewhere doing something they don't need all the active duty personnel...which leads to ...?

Maybe welfare, food stamps, depression...living at home with my parents, sit at home all day online and grow a swelled head and fat arse...?

No thanks, I prefer to serve and fight if necessary to the alternative...at least I would feel like a man and not a freeloader.

Yeah I can see it now, "well Mr.Smith I see you have experience as a highly trained Scout Sniper, that is great...we pay $7 dollars an hour to flip burgers"....screw that...

Sniper

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm sure Obama really cares about a state with 7 electoral votes. These people should have saved their money for food and bullets. Iran is going to be attacked. Our warmonger-in-chief won't have it any other way.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Some choice quotes about those longing for peace from various religions and people around the world

Matthew 5:9
"How blessed are those who make peace, because it is they who will be called God's children!

Buddhism
Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Anon
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace

Mahatma Gandhi:
"The pursuit of truth does not permit violence being inflicted on one's opponent."
"Be the peace you wish for the world."

Thich Nhat Hanh: Buddhist monk and peace activist: "How do you want to create peace, if there is no peace inside yourselves?"

Hans Küng: "There will be peace on earth when there is peace among the world religions."

Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Prime Minister of Malaysia, addressing the World Evangelical Fellowship on 2001-MAY-04. "Once started, religious strife has a tendency to go on and on, to become permanent feuds. Today we see such intractable inter-religious wars in Northern Ireland, between Jews and Muslims and Christians in Palestine, Hindus and Muslims in South Asia and in many other places. Attempts to bring about peace have failed again and again. Always the extremist elements invoking past injustices, imagined or real, will succeed in torpedoing the peace efforts and bringing about another bout of hostility."

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My guess is they like the idea of wanting a war with Iran because Iran is a bit tougher of an opponent. That means it will be more of a real war, not just a take over. Similar to the veitnam war. Tons of dead bodies this time and not so one sided. An actual enemy that will hopefully fight back a bit. I'm sure there tired of these stupid kenetic actions or peace keeping missions where they just take over a country and there's really not fight. It's time for real bloodshed, maybe even a few nukes getting thrown in for good measure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join