It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An experiment in intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So, a little background on how this scenerio came about. There was a recent thread linked below in which part of the discussion was if our planet was seeded by another intelligent species why wouldn't they step in when they saw us suffering. Below was my response, but after thinking it over my curiosity got the best of me. I decided to throw this scenerio out to everyone, as I am truely interested in how others would respond. Here was the scenerio:

Its 2165.. Mankind has finally overcome their resource troubles, and advances in space travel and technology have allowed us to start settling other planets. Around this same timeframe a major scientific breakthrough is found. Scientists have figured out the means of creating intelligence in other species. This immediately raises fears in the masses that if we allow another species to become intelligent, what's to stop them from wanting to take over us?

The solution everyone comes to is to create a controlled experiment, allowing the species to develope uninhibited from outside sources. They decide it'd be best to allow them to develop uninfluenced in their own earth like enviroment. This way not only can they develope in their own unaltered state, but also allows us to get a glimps at how we may have developed in our early history. This is our first attempt of a mass intelligence experiment, and we've lived with the species for so long on our own planet, that their development becomes very dear to our hearts. No longer pets, but more like the family we are not allowed to communicate with.

Everything with the experiment seems to be going to plan until the new intelligent species comes to the same part of their evolution as we did, and puts a value on their resources. Just like earth, mass wars begin to ravage the world. Like earth, it becomes an everyone for themselves scenerio and leads them to the brink of causing their own destruction.

So, as a member of the future human race it pains you dearly to see them suffer, but at the same time you know you cannot step in. Doing so would destroy the very basis for the experiment. Also, by stepping in and influencing their development they would never learn the lessons for themselves and never reach their true potential as the future human race has come to enjoy.

So in that position, what would you do?

Interfere and take a chance that the species will never know how far they can come when they work together?

Or do you allow them to develope on their own, and pray they reach the same solutions we did?

Sounds to me like a double edged sword...

Here is a link to the original thread (not one of my own):www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If aliens are going to "step in" then I think they will do it of thier own accord, they may have already stepped in we just dont know how, where or why. If they do they wont advertise it thats for sure

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I agree to that. Just offering this as possible reasoning behind it.

new topics

join