It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you call yourself Republican and like Obama better than Romney?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This thread is both fascinating and highly disturbing to me. If people are so strict in their ideological leanings in the USA, then you should still have a Whig Party! On a more serious note, how would you explain the Reagan Democrats and the Clinton Republicans?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think the real question should be is how do you call yourself a republican or democrat if your a true american.

The republican and democrat parties have become tools to divide americans. Both follow the same ulitimate agenda and most of the problems we have are of both of their creations.

If you think republicans or democrats in the government don't laugh and shake hands behind closed door your a fool

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Welcome to your Political education. When thinking of all things Politics, you must first take off your normal thinking cap, and replace it with a longer term thinking cap. Roughly 4-8 years longer. What you are seeing is a long term Strategy for 2016.

If Romney were to win the Presidency, the chances of getting any other Republican into Office in 2016 is minimal at best, because Romney would run for reelection and the Party will of course support the incumbent. The problem is, no one likes Romney. Not even within his own Party. The establishment may be getting behind his Candidacy, but the voters? Not so much. So people are thinking ahead...

If Obama gets reelected, your chances increase to get a Republican into Office in 2016. If Romney wins, your best hope is 8 years of Romney. Perhaps you are sold on Romney- but some of us know better. I have no intention of voting at all... there are no choices that represent me in this election. So come election day, I will stay home or do whatever it is I am doing that day. I advise others to do the same. Do not participate in the game. Let a country elect a President with under 40% of the population voting... in some places one could even call that an illegitimate Government when so few people voted these arseholes into Office.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I second this post.
I don't vote party line either but for people with principles and morals that want to bring responsibility back to our government and get rid of special interests and corruption within in.

I voted for Obama because I was suckered in by his "transparency in government and ending corruption in the government and on Wall Street talk."

I will write in Ron Paul for the same reason.

"The money is in the government" Romney will use my hard earned tax dollars to prop up him and his cronies on Wall Street and the Big Multi National Corporations, which is far and away from Free Market Capitalism as you can get.

Originally posted by RSF77

Also, you're living in a dream world if you think anybody in power really cares about being a "republican". That's the big political secret that's going around nowadays, nobody really cares about their party affiliation. That's how they screw us.
edit on 15-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I don't think that's a wise decision, and that is not how the majority of the republican party is thinking. They are thinking they hate Obama and will vote for anybody who gets the ticket. Romney got the ticket. It's that simple.

If anybody is thinking that way its the democrats and they are looking ahead for when Hilary Clinton can get on the stage once more! Because most of the party supported her. Most republicans I know liked Santorum, but will suck it up and vote for Romney. Why won't the Paul supporters do the same?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

I don't think that's a wise decision, and that is not how the majority of the republican party is thinking. They are thinking they hate Obama and will vote for anybody who gets the ticket. Romney got the ticket. It's that simple.

If anybody is thinking that way its the democrats and they are looking ahead for when Hilary Clinton can get on the stage once more! Because most of the party supported her. Most republicans I know liked Santorum, but will suck it up and vote for Romney. Why won't the Paul supporters do the same?

That question has already been answered a few times throughout this thread, why don't you address that instead of asking the same thing over and over?
edit on 15-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

You didnt ask what a majority of Republicans are doing... you asked why Paul supporters would vote Obama. You have your answer if you choose to listen to it.

Paul supports dont like Romney either... they are looking ahead. This is what happens with Politics. Welcome to it

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I am a registered Republican, and I will not be voting for Romney this fall. To illustrate how its possible for Republican's to not cast there vote for Romney, I will post my results from a neat website called isidewith.com:

In case you can't see the image, my results were:
78% Ron Paul
78% Gary Johnson
65% Obama
51% Romney

I have Republican/Conservative ideologies, but I feel that Romney is way too far to the right. I strongly disagree with his stance on abortion, gay marriage, legalization of marijuana, and patriot act.

Even though we are in agreement with most aspects of Domestic Policy, the economy, immigration, and the Space program, I cannot ignore the other issues that I feel are more important to the civil rights of me and my fellow Americans.

I will cast my vote for the Libertarian party this year, even though I know it will be a losing vote. And even though I am just one vote, there may be many others out there that share my same reservations in regards to Romney.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

As others have pointed out, your grasp of politics appears superficial, at best. Hillary Clinton was very much not supported by 'most' of her party. part of the reason O got the nod instead of her was because she was such a polarizing figure, especially among voters under 30, who saw her as little more than a watered down version of Bush.

As for your insistence that Ron Paul voters must line up behind Romney, that's just absurd. Most of them arent even Republicans in any usual sense of the word. Most Paul supporters I know are left leaning antiwar types and independent libertarian folks. Every Single GOP stalwart i know LOATHES Paul. You should get out more.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

As for your insistence that Ron Paul voters must line up behind Romney, that's just absurd. Most of them arent even Republicans in any usual sense of the word. Most Paul supporters I know are left leaning antiwar types and independent libertarian folks. Every Single GOP stalwart i know LOATHES Paul. You should get out more.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I believe. I was just waiting for someone to come out and say it. I am not asking Paul supporters to throw their vote behind Romney, but many claim that they are Republicans...So that's just wrong!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtectedWitness

I have Republican/Conservative ideologies, but I feel that Romney is way too far to the right. I strongly disagree with his stance on abortion, gay marriage, legalization of marijuana, and patriot act.

Well thank you for being honest, the graphic was not needed, but it was a nice addition. I guess that's the difference between you and me. I don't vote on social issues, but maybe a lot of Paul supporters do...So in that case they have to lean left and sacrifice their conservative fiscal policies....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

No I didn't ask that question, I was responding to someone's answer...

What exactly do you think the future is for Ron Paul...?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

That's just the thing, Romney has the backing of the Republican Party, and not of persons who believe in the idea of freedom. You might say that he listens to everyone within the GOP, but that's not true. The ones he listens to are the ones who have been running the show for years now, people who most definitely are not "libertarians."

If he listened to libertarians he would not be mongering escalating wars in the middle east, nor would he support the patriot act. If he listened to libertarians he would consider changes in policy concerning the Federal Reserve, or would consider changes in the failed war on drugs.

However, he does none of these things, instead continuing to hold the policies of the past, which are already quite visibly crumbling, and have been, for a long time, very unpopular with the actual voters of this country.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Darkinin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtectedWitness

Dude, what a great site. Thanks for sharing it. Looks like I'm gonna have to figure out who the hell Stewart Alexander is.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
I remember Ron Paul, when asked during one of the early debates why would he make a better POTUS than any of the other candidates. He commented that any of the candidates would be better than Obama. If you support Paul, then why would you vote for Obama?

That's exactly what I am thinking.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Thanks. That's pretty much what I believe. I was just waiting for someone to come out and say it. I am not asking Paul supporters to throw their vote behind Romney, but many claim that they are Republicans...So that's just wrong!

What do you mean 'many clam they are Republicans'? I've never met a Ron Paul voter who would say they were Republicans, not in any conventional, non-semantic way, at least.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkinin

If he listened to libertarians he would not be mongering escalating wars in the middle east, nor would he support the patriot act. If he listened to libertarians he would consider changes in policy concerning the Federal Reserve, or would consider changes in the failed war on drugs.

But, Republicans are not anti-war, they are anti-drug, and they generally do not care about the Fed, plus the House passed Ron Paul's bill. The party isn't going to change just because you want it to. But Romney will consider your ideas. Considering your ideas, means something different than actually trying to implement them. Since when has a politician ever actually implemented ideas from everyday people?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

They say they are republican only to vote for Ron Paul. So take it as you want.

I take it as they are invading my party to vote for someone my party doesn't want!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I think your biggest mistake is assuming that all Ron Paul supporters are republican. Many people support him for his foreign policy and stances on social issues (like me).

Neither Mittens nor Obama are close to Dr. Paul in those regards but Obama is less likely to increase our chicken/war hawk positions on the world stage and is more likely to uphold the social issues that many Paul supporters side with.

So, in short, while there's very little Dr. Paul supporters have in common with Obama, there are virtually zero things that Romney believes that will entice Ron Paul supporters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join