It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball team to host Atheist night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I bet christians around the country will fuming over this small incident of inclusiveness and allowing other groups to have their civil rights.

Minor league Saints hosting night for atheists

the St. Paul Saints minor league baseball team will become the Aints.

The Saints, known for off-the-wall promotions in the team's 20-year history, will have a theme night on Aug. 10 titled "A Night of Unbelievable Fun," sponsored by the Minnesota Atheists. While the team's staff generates many of the Saints' promotions and giveaways, several ideas come from outside sponsors.

This promotion fell into the second category, said Saints general manger Derek Sharrer.

"I think our message here and our brand of entertainment has always been one that's been inclusive," Sharrer said. "When we were approached by the Minnesota Atheists, we felt like it was within our nature to be inclusive and certainly work with them to provide them the opportunity to provide their message in the same way that we have worked with hundreds and hundreds of faith-based groups over our 20 years here in St. Paul."

Sharrer said some of the details of that night are still being worked out but noted that the team will indeed be called the Aints for one day. According to the Minnesota Atheists' website, the team will wear jerseys with the "Aints" moniker on the front – the Mr. Paul Aints -- and those jerseys will later be auctioned off for charity after the game. Also, the "S" on all Saints banners and signs around the stadium will be crossed off. Dave Silverman, the president of American Atheists, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the game.

www.foxsportsnorth.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Now this has earned my respect for those guys.

Most Christians hate atheists and would rather they be not seen and not heard.

The Bible says "love thy neighbor". It doesn't say "love thy neighbor unless you're an atheist".

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
That's great! I love that they're being inclusive. And I agree, there will be a lot of people upset by this.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I honestly don't think it will raise that big of a stink. Seriously. I think you are attaching way too much importance to it. A minor league baseball team changing their name for one night? What are they going to give out? Bobblehead Chris Hitchens dolls? Cups of beer and bags of popcorn with atheist symbols on them like the Red A? Will the "Aints" have a red atheist A at the beginning of their name?

It sounds cheesy but most promotional nights at baseball games are. I just don't think it's going to cause some major religious war between Christians and atheists the way the OP is making sound.

And as for this pissing off Christians (as if they are the only ones who get pissy about stuff), it doesn't matter what kind of religion-based promotional night you made it. If they did a Christian night or a Muslim night there would be people, even atheists, who would be pissed as a result or at least have negative and disparaging comments about it.

People need to seriously get over the petty nonsense. Let them have their atheist night. Who cares. It's not going to cause everyone there to "deconvert." Some people who regularly attend may not (it's a minor league baseball game so I don't think it will make much difference). If they don't, so what.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Now this has earned my respect for those guys.

Most Christians hate atheists and would rather they be not seen and not heard.

The Bible says "love thy neighbor". It doesn't say "love thy neighbor unless you're an atheist".

I love you.

I'm not against free speech, I think people should be able to be upfront and honest about their opinions. I just don't like the idea of an organized group getting together and defining their outlook on life as being anti-anything. So you don't like the Bible and you don't believe in God - that's great, but what do you stand for? What do you worship? In the words of Bob Dylan, "you gotta serve somebody". These types of groups encourage service of self and ego before the service of others. I think that's why a lot of Christians out there might have a problem with it. Not something as black-and-white as love for fellow believers and hate for everyone else.

Catching a grenade for someone you love is impressive. But bearing a cross for those who hate you, now that's incredible.
edit on 7/15/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
I just don't like the idea of an organized group getting together and defining their outlook on life as being anti-anything.

Not believing something doesn't mean you're anti-that thing.
I don't believe in fairies, either, but that doesn't mean I'm "anti-fairy".

So you don't like the Bible and you don't believe in God - that's great, but what do you stand for?

Atheists stand for many things. Not one common thing, but each atheist has things they stand for in life.
There are many things I stand for.

What do you worship?

Nothing... If you mean what supernatural power do I hold in reverence, there is none. If you mean something I hold in great regard or honor, then there are several things. But no one "being".

These types of groups encourage service of self and ego before the service of others.

That's not true at all. There are many Atheist Charities

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Not believing something doesn't mean you're anti-that thing.
I don't believe in fairies, either, but that doesn't mean I'm "anti-fairy".

Your argument makes the false assumption that there is just as much evidence for God as there is evidence for the common fairy tale. This is just not so. Israel exists, and its surrounding nations - Iran, Libya, Egypt, etc - continue to vow death threats against it on an almost daily basis. Both of these happenings were foretold thousands of years ago, and our generation is the only generation to see them come to fruition. Therefore, I say that you have seen the evidence for God, but your disbelief is based on a secular need to separate - a distaste for God - rather than scientific observation.

Nothing... If you mean what supernatural power do I hold in reverence, there is none. If you mean something I hold in great regard or honor, then there are several things. But no one "being".

Worshiping or holding in high regard a human being is still a "being".

That's not true at all. There are many Atheist Charities

Again, you've taken a false assumption out of my discourse and run with it. I didn't say that atheists don't help people. I stated that atheists regard service of self before service of others. Charities are wonderful things, but if these specific charities only exist to prove that atheists are "good people" then they exist to serve the ego.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

Your argument makes the false assumption that there is just as much evidence for God as there is evidence for the common fairy tale.

This is not a false assumption. There is no evidence of God. People fighting is not evidence of God.

Worshiping or holding in high regard a human being is still a "being".

Then I worship a lot of people. My husband, family and friends.

I stated that atheists regard service of self before service of others.

And that's simply not true.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This is not a false assumption. There is no evidence of God. People fighting is not evidence of God.

The fighting is not the proof. Israel's covenant with God is. No other nation on the planet has seen a complete revival of its infrastructure in such a way that Israel has after 2000 years of exile around the world. The fighting is merely a byproduct of envy, greedy territorial landgrabs, antisemitism, miscommunication, and hate for Israel's God.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well if that is what they want to do my opinion is let them. I believe in Christ and this has no effect on me. I wonder if they will win or lose.

Peace, love, and harmony.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The fighting is not the proof. Israel's covenant with God is. No other nation on the planet has seen a complete revival of its infrastructure in such a way that Israel has after 2000 years of exile around the world. The fighting is merely a byproduct of envy, greedy territorial landgrabs, antisemitism, miscommunication, and hate for Israel's God.

That is utterly ridiculous. The "revivial" of Israel is almost all down to the support from the British, the French and the United States. It has nothing to do with some supernatural enitity in the sky.

As for the rest, anyone who isn't slightly blinded by religious ignorance can see right through it. Before the creation of the state of Israel, Muslims, Jews and Christians all lived together in a relative peace. It wasn't till after the massive influx of Jewish immigrants and rapid expansion of Jewish land AND Jewish terror attacks that the "antisemitism" begun. I don't even like using that term because Arabs are semites too.
edit on 15-7-2012 by ThedeadeyesofCharlieSheen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThedeadeyesofCharlieSheen
That is utterly ridiculous. The "revivial" of Israel is almost all down to the support from the British, the French and the United States. It has nothing to do with some supernatural enitity in the sky.

Just sayin', Moses told the Jews they would be scattered around the whole world and would come back before they even entered the land in Deuteronomy. Take it as self-fulfilling or an act of God, but the truth remains that it was an age old prophecy that came to fulfillment only recently in 1948.

As for the rest, anyone who isn't slightly blinded by religious ignorance can see right through it. Before the creation of the state of Israel, Muslims, Jews and Christians all lived together in a relative peace. It wasn't till after the massive influx of Jewish immigrants and rapid expansion of Jewish land AND Jewish terror attacks that the "antisemitism" begun. I don't even like using that term because Arabs are semites too.

Antisemitism didn't begin until Israel came back? Huh, I wonder what the holocaust survivors would have to say about that...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Come on guys, let's stay on topic here, please?

The topic is the baseball team hosting atheists night.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

"Fuming"? Actually I couldn't care less. Let them do whatever promotions they wish to do it's secular entertainment anyways. If religious groups want to have their themed nights as well they should pony up the cash to do so like the atheist group did.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Microscopictopic
Well if that is what they want to do my opinion is let them. I believe in Christ and this has no effect on me. I wonder if they will win or lose.

Peace, love, and harmony.

Right? They must think we hide in our closets biting our nails fretting:

"Oh my! What are the atheists going to do next???!!! We need to prepare!"

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

"Israel" (and I put it in quotations because there's a big difference between the Biblical nation of Israel which is the descendants of Jacob, and the modern secular nation known as "Israel") was not revived by God but by the United Nations.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I think this is a good idea, just another small step towards the death of religion.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

"Israel" (and I put it in quotations because there's a big difference between the Biblical nation of Israel which is the descendants of Jacob, and the modern secular nation known as "Israel") was not revived by God but by the United Nations.

Lol!!!! So God isn't sovereign over the mighty unstoppable UN??

That's like saying ancient Israel wasn't regathered by God but by King Darius of Assyria.

top topics

join