It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing a free FPS Game │ Demo Available │ *Unreal Engine 3 using UDK*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

As you can see from the video I have started working on my very first game. I only have limited experience using 3D software for art and design work so learning to create a fully functional game will be an great learning experience for me. Anyway you can try out the downloadable demo from the link below. I am hoping some who have experience animating weapons and vehicles etc will jump on board as those are areas I will find most challenging and time consuming. Anyway if you try out the demo or even just check out the brief YouTube preview then feedback and suggestions would be great.

Downloadable Demo

(More info can be found in the YouTube link)
Game-type Idea:
- A first person shooter or third person shooter (What do you think?)
- Large varied maps (Natural and Urban Futuristic Spaces)
- Online focused with as many players as possible (Perhaps a singleplayer bot arena)
- Focus on Survival, Realism and Teamwork
- No Perks or COD style stuff lol
- Basically a good solid game aimed at mature players

Possible Storyline:
The story is up in the air at the moment so feel free to contribute with your own ideas. What I am thinking at the moment is a game set in futuristic urban streets set on an alien planet. The planet has been divided and over thousands of years two mainstream religions or beliefs have taken hold over the planet. So basically both sides have there own styles and ways of doing things. As this game will focus more on online gameplay, the story needs to come across through the level design and maybe even voice overs. Perhaps rather than having armies fighting each other the characters could be spiritual forms that can inhabit suits or armour and vehicles to posses each other, I don't know.
edit on 15-7-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Is that the UDK tool set?

How long did it take you to debug?

C++?

Maya?

I like the video.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
All you did was make a map using the unreal engine?

Thats not making a game and you cant call it open source because unreal engine is not open source, its free but not open source. You cant call it your own game cause all you did was make a map and maybe EDIT some of the existing profiles.
When you turn this

Into this

Then you can call it your own.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Looks like the unreal engine

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Is that the UDK tool set?

How long did it take you to debug?

C++?

Maya?

I like the video.

Oh I forgot to say, I am using Google Sketchup to create the buildings and structures. I then export them into UDK where I can create the terrain, add more detailed objects and do all the game settings etc. I have not found any bugs yet while developing and playing through the editor or in the demo so at the moment no time spent debugging. I started this project a few days ago so it is early yet.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
All you did was make a map?

Yes but in the Unreal Development Kit so eventually I will replace all the weapons, character models and everything else in order to create an entirely new game.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Youll find them. The reason i asked was because the UDK really helps with the C programming a bunch, i think it has a better compiler than other C compilers. IMO, of course. There are several options out there in regards to tool sets. Check out the Bethesda GECK sometime, if you havent already.

Yet another reason i miss my pc even more.....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185

All you did was make a map?

Yes but in the Unreal Development Kit so eventually I will replace all the weapons, character models and everything else in order to create an entirely new game.

I hope you understand that a new game means more then just replacing textures. Change the physics, the movement of players, the way the gun operates, the objectives ect... I wish you the best of luck.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Good point.

Unreal will allow open source games, but they have to approve them. They also have to be incredibly bad ass, so for your first digs i would just leave them out of the picture ultimately.

Use the heck out of UDK set though. Its cool.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with (on a netbook right now so can't play demo)
edit on 15-7-2012 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by Infi8nity

Good point.

Unreal will allow open source games, but they have to approve them. They also have to be incredibly bad ass, so for your first digs i would just leave them out of the picture ultimately.

Use the heck out of UDK set though. Its cool.

Thanks for all the advice, I figured it was just making the game commercial that would require the licence etc but I will take out the whole open source talk for now.

I hope you understand that a new game means more then just replacing textures. Change the physics, the movement of players, the way the gun operates, the objectives ect... I wish you the best of luck.

Unfortunatly yes I am aware there are a load of steps to this project, I do just adopt my usual technique of being blissfully ignorant and working step by step
. Once I have a decent working level I will start looking into other aspects such as the animations. Luckily there are plenty of tutorials available to help me when I have problems. I think the animations and figuring out how to how to operate the multiplayer side of things will be the largest step to overcome.

Also a mistake on my part, I only called it Open Source as I thought it meant allowing others to create there own models etc and add it to the existing game.

new topics

top topics

join