It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World Is Funny

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Why is it the US's job to be the policeman for North Korea? When it was Iraq everyone had something to say but with North Korea it seems like it is up to the US by itself, no one wants to touch it. Can someone legitimately explain this to me?

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I think it has to do with the fact that everyone fears N. Korea. They are afraid to support America.

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 08:16 PM
link   
MM,good points. I couldn't explain it to you. Where's Chirac? Where's Blix? When will Kofi grow a pair?

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
There are a couple of reasons...

As the last super power America by default picked up the role.

Americas proactive policy of guarding its economic and material interests forces it to be the main player in world events.

France doesn't give a $hit about Nth Korea. NK doesn't affect anyone else in the region, but America is one huge sitting target.

As well American foreign policy scares the Nth Koreans and makes them feel like they are forced to protect themselves.

America asked for it. ...
It labeled NK as part of the "axis of evil",
it has troops on the South Korean side of the border,
it is capable of attacking NK, and there are semi public leaks from its own govt officials that it should.

What do you expect when you take on the policing role in the world? Even in bars people want to try and beat up the big man...

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Because the rest of the world doesn't have to do anything but sit back and watch America do everything.

or maybe because the world doesn't want any share of the American Plights for Conquest.

[Edited on 4-25-2003 by Illmatic67]

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   
it's one screwed up world and i'll leave it at that

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
No one will help cuz there all pussy's. Simple as that.

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Oh crap.

If america didn't want the role it has assumed it could walk away from it.

On one hand a poster here was gloating over how easy america beat a third wrold country with a poor army, now on the other a poster is complaining because america has to confront another 3rd world nation.

The country brings these issues on itself, you don't see other countries with as big a population - Russia, Brazil, etc wanting to take such a role in world affairs.

Don't blame the rest of the world when America's self given mantle as "world peacemaker and fighter against terrorism" means it has to take a stand against nk.

You can't just eat the icing on a cake you have to take the whole lot, and nk comes with the deal. I expect America to also deal with Zimbabwe and Mozambique soon as well.

Its a bit like William here on ATS. He took on the arduous role of admin, worked his ass off making a new board, and when something goes wrong he also has to fix it. He can't say "OK I've done my bit I'm not doing any more so what if the board goes down", its part of the package, of the role of admin.

Sure america can say go away nk, but if they do that they leave themselves open to nk doing what it wants, and what nk does might not be in the best interest of america.

So the walk of self interest incurs stepping in some dog sh1t every now and then.

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
What NK does at their free will is probably not in the best interest of the countries around it (Japan, China, South Korea) I mean a few months ago NK was threatening America with nuclear and pre-emptive missile attacks, and they're still carrying on with the same BS to this day. Even though the Bush Admin has kind of brushed these threats off to the side, to me, this causes reason for concern. They have also threatened to invade SK, one of our allies. I do feel we should give Bush credit with setting up the peace talks even though NK has since made the talks fall apart. It would be in everyone's best interest if we can disarm them diplomatically, but chances seem slim at this point.

[Edited on 25-4-2003 by Midnight Mutilator]

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Good call MM...
I wonder the same thing.There are a few countries with human right violations nuculear threats and so on.No other country seems to care what they do.But if something were to happen they would look at the US and say why didn't you stop them.When we went after Iraq every pissed and moaned,But the US took care of a problem with little help from the rest of world.The US is between arock and hard place.If we were to blow up NK reactor or clean up Syria people will be crying the same crap they did with Iraq.But if we do nothing there going to cry because we didn't stop them.....

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Nyeff, excellent points
I couldn't state it any better.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Fo one thing, NK isnt really close to Europe. When in fact the United States is playing with the mideast and Europe's security in Iraq, it wouldnt in North Korea. It is supposed the US will behave more intelligently because their own security is at stake, not other's.

The USA has signalled it's willingness for multilateral talks involving China, who's interests are also at stake, thereby offering the possibility of a solution. The only thing no one understands is why the North Koreans left the talks because Washington was unwilling to sign a non-agression treaty with NK

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midnight Mutilator
Why is it the US's job to be the policeman for North Korea? When it was Iraq everyone had something to say but with North Korea it seems like it is up to the US by itself, no one wants to touch it. Can someone legitimately explain this to me?

Sure enough, I was u2uing Advisor about nearly the same thing. He stated that as the US is the last world power, and the US opposes communism they have taken that upon themselves. The world knows this and correctly decided to stay out of it, not to mention they don't want to lose trade with one of the largest suppliers in weapon exports. I believe what he said, as he was assinged to the DMZ as his Duty Station of choice, "Garry Owen" I believe. Two yrs in Korea I am confident he understands the Koreans, brainwashed by the Military or not he has a keen mind in matters korean. Hope that explains things, if not ask Advisor if he ever comes back.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
the usa isn't the last superpower look at china

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Looking at history of the last 227 years one does note there was probable cause to consider. That US relations with the Orient were probably very positive for quite some time (one very good example is the flying
Tigers).

In the days when England and Spain were the bad guys common ground with the Far East is easy to consider. Despite the issues of the Korean War and Vietnam, special consideration/respect is afforded to the US. Well above and beyond any feelings in kind with respect to Europe.

Which such conflicts as the Opium wars as an example of how the European Theater has reacted to the Far East. One could imagine how complex things would become if anyone but the US involved himself or herself in a conflict.

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by e-nonymous
No one will help cuz there all pussy's. Simple as that.

I think it's comments like that which turns America's friends away from them. You think UK and Australia are pussies do you? They are your only friends left with enough balls to get into some camo and grab a rifle.

It wont be long before they realise that association with the US is not in their national interest.

Hearing responses like that from uneducated civilian Americans pisses your Allies off so passionately that it creates hate for America as a whole.

Make sure your brain isn't in park before opening your mouth.

[Edited on 28-4-2003 by cargo]

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm not too sure that that isn't something of a sweeping statement, Toltec. While there's no doubt that the USA has declined in "popularity" of late, there has been ample anti-Americanism in the past. The "liberation" of the Philippines was a bloody business: the annexation of Hawaii was pretty unseemly and the Flying Tigers were helping what turned out to be the wrong side in China.

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Of course, these things can rapidly change. When I was first in the East, Japanese companies tended to hide their names behind local partners, so fierce was the lingering hatred for Japan, from WWII, even almost half a century later. Now, that's not the case.
Conversely, there's almost no anti-Americanism in Vietnam, now. American tourists are commonplace.
Maybe it's partly money: they US isn't as rich as it was and US tourists don't sspend like they used to.

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Overall, and it may be unpalatable for Americans who are convinced that their nation is seen as a blazing beacon of opportunity and freedom, throughout the world, I fancy you'll find that there has only ever been any really consistent support of America from the other "Anglo-Saxon" nations: Britain, Oz, NZ (Ireland, maybe?), Canada (somewhat skewed by being the neighbour and the French influence.
Everywhere else, they've tended to smile as they took your dollars, while cordially loathing you and despising your culture and values.
A huge generalisation, of course; but I suspect that it's largely true.
No matter how well-intentioned Americans and their governments are, or may be: I doubt if any nation on earth is as widely despised: as arrogant, philistine, shallow bullies.
This may, of course, be mere envy and resentment. No one likes to be constantly reminded of another's generosity and Americans do have a habit of telling the world how much the world owes America.
Yet, I fear American fellow-posters must reconcile themselves to this.

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The way I see it, America buys a lot of support. While other anglo-saxxon countries might feel an affinity to the US through their similar historical roots and cultures, I think you'll find that countries like Australia throw their support behind the US because of Military protection through the ANZUS treaty combined with export tariff deals etc.

Thats one of the reasons why countries like Oz and Canada have better healthcare systems than the US. they can pool resources in that sector without having to worry about flooding military expenditure with funds.

Its almost like a Mafia setup with smaller countries enter into protection deals with them. This is scary because if a country decided to pull out of the protection deal, all the US has to do is orchestrate an attack on that country for them to realise US protection is worth it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join