It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signs Executive Order To Kill Internet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So Obama has signed a new bill giving him control of the internet and the ability to shut it down

Link 1
Link 2
A really good question is why are we not up in arms about this we should have started massive protests over the patriot act but we didn't we should have been up in arms about the National Defense Authorization Act but we didn't WTF America
edit on 15-7-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't see how it's possible to shut down the whole internet, you would have to shut down MANY independent companies at the same time from loads of countries. Maybe I'm missing something, if this exists then it must be possible.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Imagine the clash if this order was given to the profit gods (ATT, Verizon, Sprint, etc)

It will be Epic

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
kill the space program (no disclosure)
kill the economy (no jobs)
kill bin laden (who probably died years earlier )
kill Gaddafi (long time coming considering the truth he spoke)
kill free speech and personal freedom (pre crime law)
and now kill the internet is this the hope and change we need or the beginning of world domination only thing left to say now which is more than appropriate sieg heil mein Führer Obama your a F@#$ing Nazi......................

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I don't see how it's possible to shut down the whole internet, you would have to shut down MANY independent companies at the same time from loads of countries. Maybe I'm missing something, if this exists then it must be possible.

It's VERY possible..and terrifyingly easy. The whole net was made by the U.S. Military and DARPA, as most know, for communications in the event of Nuclear War in the 60's. It was built on a certain number of main/central servers or backbones. It still is. Much flows through a little post in Arizona. Much flows through another south of D.C.. There is a given number of these traffic cops, as it can be imagined. Well, tell the traffic cops to shut down the intersections and the net ceases with traffic flow. At least the U.S. is closed to the public.....the Government has Internet II, if anyone forgot. They don't need the one we depend on, if it comes right down to it.

The world would still have net.. I THINK.....but it would be torn to hell and back with the key U.S. network resources down or dramatically curtailed for the duration. Technical difficulty isn't that high when they literally built it and own almost everything it's still based on and in at that real DEEP level most never give a thought to.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Isnt this an executive order every president has signed since world war 2? Where does it say shut the internet down? rt is propoganda...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
some of you are not old enoff to remember no web,we had billboards on a phone line dial up service with a modem we call it derrect connect ,lmfao...if the american teens wake up with no web they couldnt thank for there self i would be realy fun to watch our youth on the street with out facebook where there 500 tweets cant help them..our government can ask for any price they will be slaves to keep the web,& GAS lmfao... im going to buy more ammo thank you for the laugh good luck

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

The Defense Department created it back in the 1960's. I guess if they want to turn it off..they can. Reason for a turn off?? I guess.. so we cant communicate with other countries. I have enjoyed communicating with others from Ireland, UK, Sweden etc..

Information I have learned- Sweden and Spain already in the process of turning into a cashless society. This has not been covered on the news..they only release what they are allowed..and this is America.

I have only had a computer for 1 year..

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
We will be up in arms as soon as more people know. I'm posting a youtube video now.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by SpearMint

It's VERY possible..and terrifyingly easy. The whole net was made by the U.S. Military and DARPA, as most know, for communications in the event of Nuclear War in the 60's. It was built on a certain number of main/central servers or backbones. It still is. Much flows through a little post in Arizona. Much flows through another south of D.C.. There is a given number of these traffic cops, as it can be imagined. Well, tell the traffic cops to shut down the intersections and the net ceases with traffic flow. At least the U.S. is closed to the public.....the Government has Internet II, if anyone forgot. They don't need the one we depend on, if it comes right down to it.

The world would still have net.. I THINK.....but it would be torn to hell and back with the key U.S. network resources down or dramatically curtailed for the duration. Technical difficulty isn't that high when they literally built it and own almost everything it's still based on and in at that real DEEP level most never give a thought to.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Sounds about right. I don't know the intricacies but yeah 'They' always have been running the show guys.

The people who say the government 'can't' shut down the internet need to wake up and smell the coffee!

China, Iran, Russia and probably many other countries filter the content of the web even allowing or not allowing specific internet sites.

Anyone in Europe knows what I'm talking about if they ever go to The Pirate Bay.

It can happen don't fool yourselves.....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321
So Obama has signed a new bill....

So is it a bill or an executive order?

The bill allowing the President to take over communications facilities was signed by FDR in 1934. It is codified in 47 USC 606. It applies during war time or when there is a threat of war, and the action can be reversed by a simple majority of both houses of Congress.

Upon proclamation by the President that there exists a state or threat of war involving the United States, the President, if he deems it necessary in the interest of the national security and defense, may, during a period ending not later than six months after the termination of such state or threat of war and not later than such earlier date as the Congress by concurrent resolution may designate ... cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication and the removal therefrom of its apparatus and equipment, or ... authorize the use or control of any such facility or station and its apparatus and equipment by any department of the Government under such regulations as he may prescribe, upon just compensation to the owners.

The order signed by President Obama does not increase those powers or put them into operation. It merely identifies the White House official who will manage such operations should they be undertaken, and does some other re-organization related to government communications.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Too late.

Ever since Gutenberg (spelling?) invented the printing press, anything else has been just an advancement on a theme already existing.

Kill the intraweb and people will use a typewriter.

Kill the typewriter and people will use pen and paper.

Ban the pen and we'll use charcoal and slate.

I say bring it, Obama.

Just try to shut me up!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
And the gold medal for Longest Conclusion Jump goes to.... Everyone who believes the headline.

If anyone would actually read the executive order, it gives the government the authority to seize private communications equipment to allow continuance of government in the event of a major disaster.

Let's say the New Madrid goes off. Power lines and phone lines are down, but by commandeering a local cell tower or ISP connection point, accurate communication can resume, helping rescue teams know what equipment to bring where, how many meals will be necessary for responders and survivors, as well as planning other things such as evacuation routes.

But no, everyone just wants to assume based on the headline, that Obama himself will come to your house and unplug your computer mid-fap.

Wanna scare an entire generation of spoiled brats? Tell them you're taking their internet away.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Yes.
Here's Reagan's... with changes made in 2003 and 2006. Now where does it day Obama's going to kill the Internet again? I don't do YouTube "proof".

www.ncs.gov...

Executive Order 12472 - Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Telecommunications Functions
April 3, 1984 (amended by E.O. 13286 of February 28, 2003 and changes made by E.O. 13407 June 26, 2006)

Ronald Reagan
The White House,
April 3, 1984.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 4:47 p.m., April 3, 1984.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

It can be done. There are over 30 root DNS servers in the US. Here's the link with a map: LINK. If these servers were powered down then there would be no internet for anyone on any device unless they had access to a satellite to a foreign DNS server. PC's can still communicate with a dialup modem though; if you have one. That is done through the POTS systems; Plain Old Telephone System. My point is, the "Internet" in the US can be shut off with a big coordinated effort.

I am not sure that the E.O. calls for this because I haven't studied it yet, but I know it is not impossible to do.

edit on 7/15/2012 by NoSoup4U because: Added last line

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
it seems to be pointless to even have a search function on ATS

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The gov has a policy (list) for critical infrastructure companies and networks. If your not on the list you risk disconnect during national emergencies.

Im not going to go into more detail about it but it does exist.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There's always ham radio.

I'm not making a joke.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
There's always ham radio.

I'm not making a joke.

(grin) I know you're not making a joke, personally. I was scrolling down to post the same thing.
Packet radio and other things HAM's have been using for generations would drive a teenager of today right into the asylum inside a hour...but communication is communication if it all goes sideways right?

There is even the old FIDOnet style "internet" for those old enough to recall dial up BBS'ing as a normal thing. It took a week to get some messages from the West Coast to the East Coast and some took hours..but it all got where it had to eventually. One computer dialing another to update the old fashioned way.

Oh indeed.. there are definitely alternatives and the very low tech nature is precisely what will make them gold if it comes to all that some day, IMO.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Until Obama or some other jackarse finds a way to take those things away too. Remember, none of those politicians care about our constitutional rights anymore and seek to stifle free speech in any way they can.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join