It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Dr. Filth, he keeps his world Inside of a leather cup...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
But all his sexless patients They are trying to blow it up!"

or why Bob Dylan deserved his MEDAL OF FREEDOM (highest honour in the Land)

That quote (for any who are not familiar) is from Bob Dylan's song entitled "Desolation Row". It has been well reported that Bob Dylan was given this medal by President Obama. Bob well deserved this medal and here is why I think so:

Bob is tried and tested. He has been my constant companion all my adult life. I have learned so much from him as a person, the way he lived, the way he changed, his ideas, his perception and of course the entertainment value and mental exploration afforded by listening to his music.

The title of this thread clearly shows just how talented Bob is as a poet and a songwriter. The only place you will find such clarity of perception expressed through unique and highly effective imagery is in poets like TS Eliot and other metaphysical poets.

Bob is indeed one of a kind. He is a poet expressing himself orally to music. This has argueably still not been mastered by any other music artist apart from King David of long ago. Some music artists have touched on it, but Bob has lived it and it comes through in most every song he has written.

I have read his autobiography "Chronicles" and his personal record is very well expressed and do you know what it cross references so well with his songwriting! He is precise, very candid and honest throughout. Infact, that is his crowning achievement as an artist.

My fellow ATS members it is not without careful thought that I have chosen the song Desolation Row to celebrate this artist; if you listen to this song and explore the imagery presented you will find so much understanding of where we are at in this world. Bob is much like James Joyce (the Irish writer). The U.S should be so proud of this man who has found so much popularity throughout the world through over 5 decades! He is the same kind of "Ulysses" to the young nation of the U.S as Joyce was to the newly emerging culture of Ireland after so many years under the quite brutal at times control of the British Empire.

Listen to Desolation Row if you ever get the chance. Bob's mind is a fascinating one. After all these years I see him as a soul brother and care about him that much!!!

Leave you with a link to the lyrics of Desolation Row bobdylan.com

and another tantalizing quote:

"Now at midnight all the agents
And the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone
That knows more than they do
Then they bring them to the factory
Where the heart-attack machine
Is strapped across their shoulders
And then the kerosene
Is brought down from the castles
By insurance men who go
Check to see that nobody is escaping
To Desolation Row"

edit on 15-7-2012 by Revolution9 because: inclusion of video

edit on 15-7-2012 by Revolution9 because: spelling and punctuation

edit on 15-7-2012 by Revolution9 because: clarification of title

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

or why Bob Dylan deserved his MEDAL OF FREEDOM (highest honour in the Land)

Hello, he is Bob Dylan.

(Also, we are not a monarchy. "Highest honor in the land" doesn't have much meaning. Its not like Obama made the guy a Duke or something...)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I'm sorry to disappoint you but after i saw this clip (down here) i see B.Dylan in a completely different light
BTW look at Obamas sly face expression in your picture.

edit on 15/7/12 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Thanks. Yes I was a little enthusiastic!

I am just well into poetry and thinking music! Great!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO

I'm sorry to disappoint you but after i saw this clip (down here) i see B.Dylan in a completely different light
BTW look at Obamas sly face expression in your picture.

Hah! Once you know Bob you know what he is up to! He is toying with the audience! I have seen that vid so many times and each time I find it funnier and funnier!

Who do you think he is speaking of when he talks of the Chief Commander? Bob knows we all know about the crossroads "myth" and he as a bluesman is playing with that. I interpret, knowing what Bob means, that he is speaking of The Lord (Bob is a Christian and has often quoted Jesus in his songs).

To tell you the truth even if he did worship "the other one" it would not detract from his musical achievements. There is no such thing as being able to sell one's soul. It is not our's to bargain with in the first place.

But if you choose to take Bob that way you are welcome to. Yet please do not show me a video of Bob with the all seeing eye as his backdrop, because I know all about that already. I look at it as the hamsa, that is all. It is a very common symbol and again Bob is winding us all up in these days of conspiracy theories.

I warn people these days make sure you know who your enemy is because you may well find that you are attacking a friend (the wrong person).

I don't buy any of it. Hitler lost the war and these guys won. Things are far from perfect, but they are a whole lot better than they would have been if Hitler had won. Anyone who criticicizes authority I would say well if you were the boss (with all the diplomacy, enemies at home and abroad, the economy, defense, welfare, etc) would you really be able to do a better job than these guys???
edit on 15-7-2012 by Revolution9 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

One word, SELLOUT.
40 years ago Bob would have spit in the man's eye if he had any real fortitude.
I guess Bobby was a sellout all along...
NEXT

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

One word, SELLOUT.
NEXT

www.whale.to...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutonaLimb

One word, SELLOUT.
NEXT

www.whale.to...

Man, you link to that rubbish??? It is hardly worth replying to you, but I will anyway. You are so brainwashed by conspiracies that you scapegoat a music artist. People like you remind me of Mark Chapman and that fool posting about Hitler being a "hero". You will receive back what you put out...blind folly, disrespect, deceit and hatred.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

One word, SELLOUT.
NEXT

You call him a sell out??? Tell me why you think he is a sellout. You foolish man, how dare you post such rubbish and slander and yet offer no proof to what you are saying. I am prepared for a big fighht here. I posted this deliberately to get you going over the "sold his soul" interview and "the all seeing eye".

Answer me you nasty man...
edit on 16-7-2012 by Revolution9 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9

One word, SELLOUT.
NEXT

You call him a sell out??? Tell me why you think he is a sellout. You foolish man, how dare you post such rubbish and slander and yet offer no proof to what you are saying. I am prepared for a big fighht here. I posted this deliberately to get you going over the "sold his soul" interview and "the all seeing eye".

While I am a nasty man, I generally reserve that for my wife.
However, Bobby is a sellout, if only for associating with the head of the snake, I did not mention any of the other things nor care about them.
This one picture tells me all I need to know.
Sorry that I hurted your feeler but you will heal in time.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9

One word, SELLOUT.
NEXT

While I am a nasty man, I generally reserve that for my wife.
However, Bobby is a sellout, if only for associating with the head of the snake, I did not mention any of the other things nor care about them.
This one picture tells me all I need to know.
Sorry that I hurted your feeler but you will heal in time.

Heal from what? I don't understand??? I am proud of the artist for all his achievements. I see nothing in the bs criticism he has received from you lot of nobodies who could not even write one song. I like him even a little bit more!

But then you treat your own President the same way don't you! Rude, nasty and ignorant. One has only to look at all the disgusting comments under most youtube videos to see what humanity has become; a load of stupid, junk food eating armchair critic blobs!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Look, you got ZERO flags on your OP, almost nobody commented on it, nobody cares about Bobby.
Why???
Because Bobby doesn't matter anymore, he IS a hasbeen, and in order to get 15 more minutes of fame, soldout!
This president you speak of is not mine, I did not vote for him, he will be out of office soon enough hopefully anyway.
You are right however about my songwriting abilities, I'm no songwriter.
I do have many other areas where I did thrive however so I do know what I am good at!
You can't win em all I guess.
I have just stated my opinion and it would seem alot of folks agree with me, Bobby is a sellout.
So,... I may be rude to some, others will call it truthful, I try not to sugarcoat anything.
Yes , I am nasty.
But ignorant hardly, I was able to see right away that this was Bobby's sellout swansong.
Oh, and my singing voice is much better than Bobby's mumbling.....err singing.

Is your name zimmerman by chance?
I just do not understand why you would so sternly support this guy unless it is you or a family member.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Look, you got ZERO flags on your OP, almost nobody commented on it, nobody cares about Bobby.
Why???
Because Bobby doesn't matter anymore, he IS a hasbeen, and in order to get 15 more minutes of fame, soldout!
This president you speak of is not mine, I did not vote for him, he will be out of office soon enough hopefully anyway.
You are right however about my songwriting abilities, I'm no songwriter.
I do have many other areas where I did thrive however so I do know what I am good at!
You can't win em all I guess.
I have just stated my opinion and it would seem alot of folks agree with me, Bobby is a sellout.
So,... I may be rude to some, others will call it truthful, I try not to sugarcoat anything.
Yes , I am nasty.
But ignorant hardly, I was able to see right away that this was Bobby's sellout swansong.
Oh, and my singing voice is much better than Bobby's mumbling.....err singing.

Is your name zimmerman by chance?
I just do not understand why you would so sternly support this guy unless it is you or a family member.

So why are yo commenting here my friend if you have views like that? I just find value in Bob's songwriting as I am an artists and I take great interest in lyrics and songwriting. Whether angel or devil ro a bit of both I still find Bob to be a very gifted man. I posted here as I thought maybe some other people might be interested. Ok, they were not. That's cool. Yet I disagree with you because Bob is stiull attracting young audiences and his music continues to sell very well so I think that you are overstaing the hasbeen label. Well, you are not the kind of enthusiastic guy I would hope to me meet so you know can you leave this post alone now you have spat all over it. You don't like Bob Dylan so why do that? I called it just being a nasty and cynical piece of work to put time and effort into being mean to me. But I am very flattered you used your finger muscles on my behalf.

Well toodle pip old chap.

ps. what kind of music you into just out of interest?

pps. www.nj.com...

"Dylan also has announced the release of a new album, "Tempest," on Sept. 11. It's Dylan's 35th studio release, and coincides with the 50th anniversary of his first album, 1962's "Bob Dylan."

It's probably just a coincidence, but 11 years ago, Dylan released an album on Sept. 11: "Love and Theft" came out on Sept. 11, 2001."

top topics

join