It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyundai Elantra Zombie Survival Machine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior
Reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I sell auto parts for a living. Hyundai Elantras needing parts are fairly common.

You want mechanical reliability? A Jeep with a 4.0L engine. I hardly ever sell parts for those, and its a very common engine.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That 4.0 inline 6 was an AMAZING engine. I'd still personally look to classics first, though. Far more universal, and far more solidly build than modern cars.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

The car may not be immortal but Hyundai has the best warranty in the business - 10 years on the drive train. Because of their reputation for durability some people refer to Hyundai/Kia's as being "bullet-proof" but I think that is just a figure of speech, though this one appears that it might actually be true.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)
That warranty is a selling point, it is not an indicator of their reliability. They also have the most heavily USED warranty in the business.

Not to mention, warranty would mean nothing in a shtf situation.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
That model of Hyundai as sold in Mexico is called the Attitude, no kidding
---->

In my country its sold as Accent, renamed to Accident after a while.

Not without a reason.

I wonder if that Zombie-kit includes acceptable suspension so it wont jump off road at high speed.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The car won't need to be put to use as the zombies will be laughing so hard at that 'badass' Hyundai their heads will simply fall off.
edit on 15-7-2012 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
That warranty is a selling point, it is not an indicator of their reliability. They also have the most heavily USED warranty in the business.

Not to mention, warranty would mean nothing in a shtf situation.

Wow! Sux to be them. I've had 4 new Kia's. Never had a problem with reliability. Their mechanics found a leaky power steering unit at my first complimentary oil change and replaced it on the spot - that was on a premier-year Optima. None of the others have ever needed a thing. I've normally kept them 3-4 years until my most recent which I bought in the US in 2007 before leaving it for the last time - Kia is not sold in Mexico.

I used to have a weekly commute across the high-desert out to the coast in middle of the night. Reliability was the first-order of importance in selecting a new car so bought my first Kia partly because of that 10-year warranty when they were a mostly unknown commodity back then. I've owned three others since then, none have ever failed to start or have needed anything more than tires, oil change, or the usual maintenance.

My US warranty may mean nothing here in Mexico if the car's SHTF but my 2007 Sportage SUV is still here with me never needing anything more than tires, a new headlamp, and the usual fluid changes. Maybe Kia has better quality control than its sister company Hyundai.

I have heard some bad tales about the early Hyundais when they were first being sold in the US but nothing bad about later models. In recent years Kia/Hyundai surpassed Ford as the world's #4 top auto seller.

Among other cars I've owned were 64 Grand Prix, 65 Riviera, 67 Camaro, 69 Charger, 70 GTO, 74 Corvette, 76 Seville, 85 300ZX Turbo, 97 Camaro conv. - most of which I bought used and all of which I had owned and driven regularly for several years. It's not like I've had a thing for driving crap cars. At my age, almost 60, Kia do just fine. Nothing out there these days that's a "must-have" kind of car.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I get what you are saying, and I do agree that a car is a car, so long as it works.

That said, kia's and Hyundais are made for commuting. They break down fast when pushed hard. They are ABSOLUTELY not a SHTF type vehicle.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
i was day dreaming about zombie weopons the other day i came up with this one, three weopons in one one blunt force weopon one slasher/spear and one shiv

attached to this

that would hook together using threads

and at the opposite end of the pipe attach a shiv that's main part resides in the barrel that can be pulled out with ease making three zombie killers in one and when fully assembled makes a throwing spear

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Carmageddon anyone??

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I'm pretty certain the Hyundai part is only due that Hyundai gave the guy lots o $$$ to associate their product with his.

I'd personally prefer something like an armored Brittish Ferret Mark IV that's all terrain plus it floats.
Either that, or a Stryker with 4 wheel and 8 wheel drive, armor, and room to stretch out to take a nap while buttoned up and waiting for the zombies to go away.

Aint nobody here but us chickens ...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I get what you are saying, and I do agree that a car is a car, so long as it works.

That said, kia's and Hyundais are made for commuting. They break down fast when pushed hard. They are ABSOLUTELY not a SHTF type vehicle.

Not trying to sell you a Hyundai but I think people may be selling them short of their true worth.

There are two Hyundai models sold in Mexico, by the Dodge dealer. The Attitude which is the OP body style, though an international model so a tad bit different than the US version. Also here is the Atos, an ugly, tall, boxy
thing that are commonly used for taxis - I don't believe the US has a version of these. Perhaps owing to their ugliness they are the most roomy and comfortable ones to ride in. The oldest ones out there are now about 10 years and no rattles or wobbles, unlike their prettier and more conventional Nissan taxi counterparts. A friend has one that would caravan with our trucks and 4X's in the coastal backroads of Guerrero and Michoacán - trucks right along keeping up with any of the 2X's. I think their taxi service alone qualifies them for bug-out duty - this is a city of about 750,000, in Mexico mind you.

Mentioned earlier in the thread was the Elantra, I believe that was the older, somewhat troublesome model in Hyundai's earlier years. Have you seen their new stuff lately?

In my country its sold as Accent, renamed to Accident after a while.

Not without a reason.

I wonder if that Zombie-kit includes acceptable suspension so it wont jump off road at high speed.

My Sportage supposedly uses the same platform as the Accent, difference being the body shell along with the more heavy-duty suspension and such. Haven't crashed it yet and had it some five and-a-half years now. What I noticed about Kias are they tend to be a bit bigger and heavier than their Japanese counterparts - for lighter and fuel-efficient stay with Honda, Accord or some such. Try some door-slamming at the various dealerships and tell me the impressions you get. To me Kias sound more expensive than what they are. The Accent is lighter than my Sportage, perhaps could use some mushier suspension for roadability.

As regards commuting, I had a Spectra and two Optimas - traded the Spectra off short of a year after the Optimas were introduced, bigger and more comfortable, size-comparable to the Accord. They were hyper-sonic on the freeway - much nicer driving/handling than my Camaro convertible, which was basically my weekend town cruiser until I retired in Summer of '06, then soon bought the Sportage and started packing-up for south of the border.

The Kia econo SUV with a roof carrier moved me down here to the central highlands. It has super low mileage on it because I walk and use public transportation quite a bit in town. It gets used for all the shopping trips - packaged Whirlpool washing machine fits closed-up in my cargo bay with room to spare - and all my road trips and runs out to the coast - out of 6300ft. over 7700ft. then through tierra caliente and out to sea level at swift highway speeds for 3-4 hours depending on destination, Zihuatanejo or Playa Azul. Brief stop-off in Quatro Caminos by Nueva Italia for the best birria de chivo and a beer before hitting the beach.

Then again I'm just lucky with cars and things, lead sort of a charmed life. Your mileage may vary.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join