It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage from my point of view

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Some of my thoughts on this.

Government: I don't see how it's legal/constitutional for the government to give a man and a woman a 'contract' and not do the same for a man and a man or a woman and a woman, isn't that discrimination on the governments part? The main reason for a gay marriage ban is for religions reasons, but most gays don't want to get married for religious reasons, they want the status of being married and having the benefits that come along with that to raise a stable and happy family. Here is a map of the United States in relation to marriage/union rights for gay people:

Dark Red: State constitution bans same-sex marriage and some or all other kinds of same-sex unions
Red: State constitution bans same-sex marriage2
Pink: State statute bans same-sex marriage
Citizens are passing laws to not only bar marriage rights but any kind of rights to recognize a loving and committed relationship between 2 consenting adults which makes it look more like hate rather than just religious reasons having to do with marriage. Thomas Jefferson once said: "A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." This is why we have court systems in place to protect everyone. If all the gays in the US moved to Alabama and took away all the hetero's rights would that be right?

Religious side: I don't care what a church decides to do, it is completely up to the church for a ceremony to take place or not, it's private property not government property so theres no say so in the matter.

Below is a picture of Lady Justice, she's blindfolded so she can judge without prejudice, no matter your race, gender, orientation, disability, money or power, a sword for reason and justice, and the scales for measuring the opposition and support. In the eyes of Lady Justice all are equal under law and the constitution, and she protects everyone.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I believe the courts are going to eventually rule in favor of gay marriage finding the ban unconstitutional, tolerance is slowly becoming the norm. I don't agree with all of the flaunting that goes on at gay pride festivals though, I believe it does more harm than good.

What do you guys think? I want a constructive conversation started, everyone is welcome.
edit on 7/15/2012 by Uniceft17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

I am an Alpha Male who lives in Mass. and I LOVE everything about Women....even their occasional tirades! LOL!

We have LEGAL GAY MARRIAGE in Mass. and contrary to popular belief...the SKY HAS NOT FALLEN!

It has had ZERO issues and I certainly have no problem with it. I find that people who DO have issues with it tend to be very HATEFUL and even though many proclaim to be CHRISTIAN....they behave in a VERY UN-CHRISTIAN LIKE MANNER! JESUS himself taught tolerance and to Love your Neighbor as well as to not judge or cast the first stone...yet I see many STONES being TOSSED and this happens by the hands of people who travel into our state and is very seldom done by those who LIVE HERE!

Now I also believe that for any Child it is very important to have a Father Figure as well as a Mother...but although most Gay Folk are so by Genetic Design...their are some that choose it as a Life Style and still this still means they are BORN with Homosexual Tendencies.

Still...I would rather have a Child have the care of Two Mom's or Two Dad's than only one parent which is very hard for one person to financially support just ONE CHILD never mind more. STILL...as a message to the GAY COMMUNITY...a BOY who would be born very ALPHA...as I was...NEEDS A FATHER FIGURE. I think the same can be said for a Girl with TWO MOM"S. I am not judging...just stating a fact.

As for two people of the same sex being Married....If a person OBJECTS to this...it is their right...but in my state...it is also a RIGHT for GAY's to MARRY...and it is NONE OF ANY ONES BUSINESS!

Split Infinity....p.s....So Sayeth the SUPER ALPHA MALE! LOL!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Marriage is a pre defined thing between a man and a woman, usually it's religious. For this reason I don't believe gay marriage is a good idea, but that's nothing to do with disliking gay people or discriminating against them, it's because that's not what marriage is. I do think they should be recognised as a couple and have all the same rights as a married couple, I just think it should be a separate thing from marriage as we know it. I have nothing against gay people and I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but that's my honest opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Not take the wrong way at all, thanks for the imput. I can see where your coming from, but if we are going to have it that way then Marriage should be strictly religious and not state sanctioned and everyone should be in unions, not just homosexuals, separate but equal isn not equal, it kind of is a way of society saying your relationship isn't worthy of the title of marriage and goes against exactly what the goal is.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I believe that is reasonable but that is how we see it. To Gays...nothing but being in a state of Marriage will be considered having equal rights.

As I have said...we have had Gay Marriage in Mass. for some time now. I do not notice any difference or have any issues come up. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

As for two people of the same sex being Married....If a person OBJECTS to this...it is their right...but in my state...it is also a RIGHT for GAY's to MARRY...and it is NONE OF ANY ONES BUSINESS!

Split Infinity....p.s....So Sayeth the SUPER ALPHA MALE! LOL!

Couldn't agree more with your post, I don't mind anyone objecting to anything or speaking there mind, this is a free county, when it comes to legislating the rights and privileges of a minority for religious or hateful reasons then it starts going to far.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

To Gays...nothing but being in a state of Marriage will be considered having equal rights.

True, it shouldn't even be a question though, I mean it's common sense once you take away all the ego and bigotry layer by layer (that's not directed toward you by the way), I'm gay so yeah I'm pretty biased but anyone who looks at the law knows what i'm talking. When you get married you are signing a contract with the government and we basically have government sanctioned discrimination going on, courts are starting to take notice though, I think parts of the Defense of Marriage act are going to the supreme court, I don't know. We will see what happens.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I have issue with a Group of People who have NOTHING TO DO with an aspect of another Group of People...and then trying by any and all means to control what people say or do. I find this inexcusable.

And even though I have no issues with Gays...they could be a bit less eager to PISS OFF people who could help them like the Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade. Gay Leadership REALLY BLEW IT....NO PUN INTENDED...LOL!

People have to be brought around in a gentile manner. Force never will change minds...unless you are dead.

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I hate to say it but I believe that you're playing both sides in this debate.

And what is it with people who cannot differentiate between "their" and "there"? It's not that friggin' hard!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I never really understood why gay people want to be married. In the country I live, gay partnerships are classified as de-facto and they have all the rights of a married man and woman.

It is strange how they want something that has traditionally been between a man and a woman, in my opinion it would be the best thing about being gay, NOT needing to marry.

It is like a women trying to do an extremely physical job only suitable for a man, for equality.
edit on 15-7-2012 by alphawhisky because: typo

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

That is because the issue is not so cut and dry. To show respect for one group without addressing the concerns of the other is insensitive and is cause for much of the strife that exists. But regardless...both sides have made mistakes.

Split Infinity....p.s....THEIR YOU GO! LOL!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I don't care about the feelings of the gay marriage opponents. They are all nothing but worthless bigots.

Get with the times people.

George Carlin talked about it for years. Some of you "get it" but you still insist on clinging to old "taboos".

Religion *IS* mind control.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I think one of the main reasons they're allowing gay marriage is just another form of revenue generation. Same way it's done with straight marriage. It's just another revenue generator both by getting married and getting divorced.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
All law that smacks of any religion should be barred, disbanded, pulverized, negated, dismantled immediately. Separation of church and state has not happened yet.

Sin taxes are based in religion.

Laws that do not provide equal protections in law should be enforced by Law of the Land. In other words - if the law does not apply to all citizens exactly the same way Equality in law should be a requirement of all law and enforced by law.

Haphazard Supreme Court decisions do not cut it. That is obvious when you look at Obama care which has been upheld to be Constitutional but Incorrect since it is a tax that did not begin in Legislature. Hey SC Justices get your act together and fix all the legal wrongs - your karma is facing you!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Hey...You are preaching to the choir. I am not talking about the feelings of GAY BASHERS. I am talking about legitimate concerns of what people who are on the fence...and I am not on the fence...have about what effect children who either have neither a Male or Female role model in the family.

This is a concern. As far as Marriage....I feel that is no ones business. As far as adoption...I even have questions and I KNOW I would...being what I am....NEED A DAD and a MOM!

Not everyone may need this...but I KNOW I WOULD!

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Marriage is a pre defined thing between a man and a woman, usually it's religious.

Usually, it's religious (that means sometimes it's not).
Usually, it's between a man and a woman (that means sometimes it's not).
Usually, there are kids involved (that means sometimes there's not).
Usually, there is sex involved (that means sometimes there's not).
Usually, the people live together (that means sometimes they don't).
Usually, the people are in love (that means sometimes they're not).

I'm not so sure it's as "predefined" as you want it to be.

Because, by definition, there is no pre-definition.

For this reason I don't believe gay marriage is a good idea, but that's nothing to do with disliking gay people or discriminating against them, it's because that's not what marriage is.

Considering all the possible definitions mentioned above, not to mention all I haven't mentioned (
) what IS this definition of marriage? A legal contractual union in which 2 parties are either religious, of they're not, are the same gender, or they're not, are planning to have kids, or not, are going to have sex, or not, will live together, or not, and are in love, or not... ?

People always SAY that marriage is predefined, but clearly, it's not. Each couple defines their own marriage.

I appreciate your honest opinion, but consider if you were told that you couldn't marry the person you choose to marry because of some arbitrary reason...

top topics

join