It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord Kelvin's thunderstorm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
here is a cool old school experiment i remembered hearing about, and the experiment not only generates a spark but also causes water to seperate from the main stream and move away in an unusual manner

ever seen water do that?

the moving water, simply by moving creates electricity enough to make a spark,
and some of the water is repelled from the buckets below.

Neodymium magnet in copper pipe

the falling magnet is creating an eddy current in the copper pipe and the forces created are slowing the fall of the magnets.

is the water falling in the first experiment, acting like a magnet then?
is the water falling through the first loop of cooper (connected to the opposite bucket) actually creating an eddy current as it fails through the loop?

looking at the problem i was wondering if the three things required to create electricity were present,
conductor
magnet
movement

but in the first experiment, the stream of water must be magnet and movement to create the effect. to for fill the three requirements of electricity generation.

does this mean in a suitable material moving water can generate an eddey current that could be harnessed.

in the next experiment, sound is converging to a point and creating an interesting phenomenon,
it is created coincidentally by eddies in water.

it can be created by boat propellers and fast moving water and can be destructive to hydro power plants

Sonarluminescence

in this case the moving water can create a sound wave that expands and collapses a bubble.

the experiment shows overlapping sound frequencies causing a bubble vibrate itself into energy.

so in this case the sound is movement the water is conductor, but where is the magnet?

three things needed for electrical generation,
conductor
magnet
movement

is the water acting like a magnet and a conductor?

can water be movement, conductor and magnet in different circumstances?

now we get to the interestin physics of water bridges
can the flow of electricity cause water to move?

so stationary water can be made to produce a bridge without support?
movement of electricity in a conductor moves water up?

what about light?

can light (sunlight) alter the properties of water?

could people have an effect on water, or water on people?

Tibetan singing bowl

so is the friction of rubbing the rod on the bowl causing this?
or is it that he strikes the bowl first then chases the oscillations around the circumference of the bowl?

what would happen if the bowl was spinning,
and the rod was moved,
in the direction of motion,
or in the oposie direction,
how would that rffect the water?

its got me thinkin...
what happens to moving water that are charged up near another opposition charged object?

how much does gravity have to do with the variables?

water acts very differently in space,
with the three variables present how come there is no electricity created?

it is definatly a very interesting medium to study,
and is not just the stuff you drink

i remeber reading somewhere that logs float higer at night in a full moon,
how does the moon light effect the displacement of water?
surface tension?

conclusion
i think that water is very easy to influence on many levels,
i think water can be a conductor and a magnet and movement at the same time
and that sunlight could effect water as well
i wonder if all these effects can be related to each other?

xploder

edit on 14-7-2012 by XPLodER because: wrong vid

edit on 14-7-2012 by XPLodER because: more

edit on 14-7-2012 by XPLodER because: more

edit on 14-7-2012 by XPLodER because: spelling

edit on 15-7-2012 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps title

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
here is a cool old school experiment i remembered hearing about, and the experiment not only generates a spark but also causes water to seperate from the main stream and move away in an unusual manner

ever seen water do that?

Yep, when I built one.

the moving water, simply by moving creates electricity enough to make a spark,

The energy used to make the spark comes from the water falling, but overall the thing's an induction machine.

is the water falling in the first experiment, acting like a magnet then?
is the water falling through the first loop of cooper (connected to the opposite bucket) actually creating an eddy current as it fails through the loop?

No, and no.

looking at the problem i was wondering if the three things required to create electricity were present,
conductor
magnet
movement

but in the first experiment, the stream of water must be magnet and movement to create the effect. to for fill the three requirements of electricity generation.

You can certainly create a potential in other ways. The first generators were all electrostatic induction machines, which don't have magnets in. This is also one.

does this mean in a suitable material moving water can generate an eddey current that could be harnessed.

You can certainly generate eddy currents in water, if it's got some ionic contaminants like salt.

so in this case the sound is movement the water is conductor, but where is the magnet?

Sonoluminescence doesn't create an electrical current.

three things needed for electrical generation,
conductor
magnet
movement

is the water acting like a magnet and a conductor?

can water be movement, conductor and magnet in different circumstances?

sorta, kinda.

now we get to the interestin physics of water bridges
can the flow of electricity cause water to move?

Yes, but I'm not sure that's what's going on in this picture.

movement of electricity in a conductor moves water up?

what about light?

can light (sunlight) alter the properties of water?

Moves water, "up" is dependent on which way you're moving it.

Light, no. Well, if you evaporate the water with the light, I guess you could say it was moving up.

its got me thinkin...
what happens to moving water that are charged up near another opposition charged object?

It will be attracted, like any two charged objects of opposite charge.

how much does gravity have to do with the variables?

Pretty much the same as everywhere else.

water acts very differently in space,
with the three variables present how come there is no electricity created?

It would be, if it were set up appropriately.

The water drop induction machine is tough to explain in straight text. If I had a digitizer pad I could draw it out for you. The overhead tank contains water to which you've added something ionic, salt is the usual thing. Doesn't have to be a lot. That gives you neutrally charged ionized water, so it's conductive.

Below it are two metallic containers on an insulated pad. These have a wire soldered or welded on, with an open cylinder at the end, cantilevered out as you can probably see in that video, I didn't watch it. You arrange the containers under the tank, with the cylinders over the opposite container, the wires forming an "x" in the middle, not touching.

You have two dropper arrangements from the tank that can be adjusted for flow. They're arranged so that they drop through the cylinder into the container below. The flow *has* to be adjusted so that the water enters the cylinder from the tank in a solid stream, but breaks into droplets within the cylinder, close to the middle as possible.

What happens is this: the water in the tank is essentially at a neutral charge. If it isn't, it'll end up that way.

You assume that the container-cylinders will have a random charge differential on them from handling them and putting them on the insulating pad. If they're very very close to the same charge, it'll take forever to start. In that case, you can get it primed by shuffling around wearing cat slippers and touching one of the cans.

Now, here's the magic. The water enters the cylinders in an unbroken but tiny stream. Since the water's ionized, it's conductive all the way up to the tank and across to the other cylinder.

(cont)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
So you've got an unbroken conductor of ionically contaminated water from cylinder middle to cylinder middle.

Now, there's some sort of charge differential between the two cylinders as a given. One's more positive, one's more negative, for explanation we'll say the left cylinder/right container is positive and the right cylinder/left container is negative, relative to each other. That happens at first by random chance. The more differential you start with the faster it'll go. The more positive cylinder will attract negative ions to it from the tank. The more negative cylinder will attract more positive ions to it from the tank. So that little water stream is more negative on one side, more positive on the other, due to electrostatic induction from the cylinders.

Then the water streams break into droplets in the cylinders.

Now, once the water stream breaks into droplets, the ions can't get back. They're stuck in the droplet. So going through the left cylinder, you're going to attract negative ions, which are now isolated by the droplet. The droplet then falls into the left container, which was more negative to start with, and now is even more so. Same on the other side, only it gets the isolated positive ions in the droplet. The negative side thus becomes more negative, the positive side more positive, until the air breaks down at the "x" where the wires cross, and you get a spark.

No magnets. Just electrostatic induction.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

wow thank you for taking the time to answer my questions,
i like knowing how things work and you answered each question.

so all of the principals in all of the videos have know physics involved in them,

i take it the sonoluminesence experiment is sound waves over lapping,
not electricity, do you know if there is acual electricity generated or is it just light?

ps thanks bud

xploder

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

i was woundering your opinion on the Tibetan singing bowl example,

would rotating the bowl and running the rod around the edge,

in the same direction as rotation,
have different effects,
than rotating the rod in the opposite direction?

and is the bridge experiment not acually "pumping water" from one beaker to the other?
huh?

any ideas?

xploder
edit on 15-7-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Bedlam

wow thank you for taking the time to answer my questions,
i like knowing how things work and you answered each question.

so all of the principals in all of the videos have know physics involved in them,

i take it the sonoluminesence experiment is sound waves over lapping,
not electricity, do you know if there is acual electricity generated or is it just light?

ps thanks bud

xploder

AFAIK, it's just light. The temperature at the center of the bubble collapse can be quite high. To the point there was some question as to whether sonoluminescence in deuterated acetone got hot enough to cause fusion.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

i was woundering your opinion on the Tibetan singing bowl example,

I can't get youtube videos here at the customer's site aka "work". Not familiar with either example offhand, if I get a chance to look at it back at my concrete block contractor's hovel I'll let you know.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

sweet,
will be waiting for you

ps thanks

xploder

new topics

top topics

join