It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey: How Many Have Switched from Extraterrestrial Hypothesis to Interdimensional?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'll be the first to raise my hand.

The Hypothesis in it's varied forms i.e. Extra-Inter-Ultra Dimensional--Tonnie's Cryptoterrestrials to some degree--seems to finally be coming of age after many years of basically being shunned. So I'm very interested in an informal survey of sorts here.

For those of you who have switched or converted, feel free to just simply state that you have or--even better--give some of your reasons for doing so. Cool links ALWAYS appreciated, too!

My own journey was a long one. First, as an adolescent, I had to decide if the subject had any merit at all. Once I had decided for my own self that some anomalous airborne objects were a probable reality, I fell right in line with the popular conception and framed my queries along the Extraterrestrial line.

Then came Von Daniken and Chariot of the Gods and it seemed to make some sense of the other mysteries, the ancient ones, that also intrigued me.

My own sighting, along with 3 other Boy Scouts, at age 14 challenged the above concepts...although I wasn't ready to give them up yet.

That experience briefly: Camping out in some Appalachian foothills we observed a brilliant double-flash that emanated from--and illuminated--the entire top of an adjacent peak, a split second of darkness, and then maybe 100 ft over the tree tops "it" pulsed into life. Perspective wise, I would say it was about high-moon size in appearance.

At full pulse it looked like a globe of molten liquid metal or plasma sloshing & swirling around inside. Then it would dim at about the same speed it lit. It would dim to nothing and we couldn't see anything and then a good bit higher in the sky it would PULSE to full-lit life again a few seconds later.

Not counting the double-flash of the apparent lift-off, it lit and dimmed 6 times, each time higher in the sky and after the 6th nothing. We watched for a long time, but that amazing glimpse was over but for the heavy-duty questions it raised in me.

The thing that bugged me for years was that it seemed to be more alive than something nuts & bolts. But I still hung on to the ETH/AA strains for awhile.

Somewhere along the way I read some of Jacques Vallee's stuff and, although I found it interesting, I still wasn't ready.

But the years progressed and the more I researched the phenomena--in it's totality--the less and less the ETH seemed to make sense.

What was it that finally made me accept that some form of the Interdimensional Hypothesis was a much better fit?

Hard to say, but Prof. J. Allen Hynek's subtle shift away from the ETH, Dr. Jacques Vallee's Passport to Magonia, as well as his Five Arguments Against The Extraterrestrial Hypothesis, and the High-Strangeness factors of many UFO encounters are some easy examples of the things that either influenced or validated some of my own thinking.

There's sooooo much more, but I'm ready to stop boring you with my reasons and hear Yours!

Oh, one more thing: Of course I expect and welcome all dissenting views from the Arch-Villian Skeptic to the ETH proponents, but I'm much more interested in the survey aspect of this thread concerning those who have adopted the hypothesis and/or switched over.

Fire Away!

+37 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I just have one question.

Why not both?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Indeed... I think the Universe is as infinite in it's variety and wonders as it seems to be for it's size. I believe some day we'll come to find we're in an enormous but quite busy neighborhood with all sorts populating it. We just see a few from different origins.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I try to keep the conspiracy as simple as I can.

Since its quite possible for humans to make it to another planet already, however impractical, its equally possible for somebody from another planet to make it here using similar methods.

Why bother jumping through dimensions to get here when a simple rocket will work?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Dear The GUT,

I see UFOs as inter-dimensional but demonic. Inter-dimensionality is psychic rather than physical. We cannot physically travel inter-dimensionally; but, we can experience altered states of consciousness. The last realm to be explored is that of consciousness. Nothing is an illusion, everything is a representation of a thought. The amount of thoughts that are possible is endless. The dimensions of the universe are merely the levels of awareness of it's inhabitants. I hope you found my answer amusing. Peace.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We're probably the rednecks down the block with junk cars strewn around the lot breeding kittens in hollowed out washing machines.

I think agree with you, I think the universe is teeming with life. Also OP, as Annee said, why not both?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Why not both?

I am thinking this too. I believe that both do exist.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

"Survey: How Many Have Switched from Extraterrestrial Hypothesis to Interdimensional?"

switched? no, more like- i consider more possibilities.

anything could be real, and anything could be a lie.

edit: forgot to say peace! peace! ^_^

i agree with other posters, very cool for there to be both.

im sure they know each other better than WE know THEM.

i hope they are friendly, and that the USA never tries to take advantage of them because of some alien oil.

lol.

maybe thems aliens are pretty cool folk?
edit on 14-7-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I switched over once I started reading Terence McKenna and learning about '___'.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by The GUT

Dear The GUT,

I see UFOs as inter-dimensional but demonic.

Demonic?

What is your religion?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I think it's a smattering of all, extra- terrestrial, dimensional, temporal, or any combination. I would lean that there are other dimensional volumes inhabited by folks similar to us but of course with a different history, sociology, and tech level, and those from other dimensional volumes are where most of the ships and sightings people report are coming from. Some who have discovered how to safely jump from one pond to another are doing so, exploring just as we would. Perhaps they have secret gov't projects and their own people don't know about us or know that there may be other dimensional volumes. I think that's what we are doing, too, and have been doing so since the 50s.

Then there are the non-terrestrials and temporals, very far from home, probably the most advanced and secretive. They exhibit absolute control in their comings/goings and interactions with us. Probably the most bizarre of behavior for various reasons.

But yeah, from some interesting personal experiences I've had, I get the strong impression that most of what we see is extra-dimensional. I'll leave it at that.

Well, one more idea... Perhaps, just perhaps, some of our ancient civs were taken or figured out how to cross over and did so, starting whole other lines of human civs seperate from ours. Our Earth may be one of many "proving grounds".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hey, Gut, thanks for a good thread to read, bud.

A couple people have touched on this idea already above me, i still want to chime in here though.

IMO, through out the history of mankind, written and unwritten, we have probably been in contact somehow with ET, or ID intelliegences. I think they are very closely related, maybe through technology; i think whatever 'they' may be they have a supreme understanding of life, death, and the universe in a way that humanity doesnt grasp.

The skinwalker ranch, and George Knapp, actually, was what made me believe that dimensional beings may be living lives, sentient realities, right along with us. The difference between them and us is that they can choose when to make themselves physical in this reality, while existing in another dimension. Literally a paralell to us, here, already on Earth.

ET life, for me, exists, period. Weather ancient astronaughts, greys, etc etc, it my own opinion that sentient intelligences from other planets are technologically advanced, and have mastered space travel. And i mean MASTERED IT. An Einstein/Rosen bridge cant be easily achievable, but by speculative accounts, thats the most logical way to travel through space. They have that ability, IMO, and use it to come here.

Weather or not i come in contact with a real alien in my life means little to me. Unfortunately belief in ET life has become something like a religion. If you think there is ET life in the universe, you are automattically labelled a die hard believer, when in reality the infinity that is space and time suggests scientifically that life is spread through out the universe any where that life can exist.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Fascinating story, OP! Thank you for sharing it. I've thought about this myself, and I'm in the "why not both?" category as well. I think there are planets with folks of physical being with spiritual qualities more or less like us, some life totally different from us that we cannot easily connect to (and may not want to!), and there are beings who can manifest physically and be "trans-dimensional" - going across dimensions in their travels?? i.e. going from "here" to "there" to "gone" as if they were skipping in and out of pond water (we being in the pond.) I don't know if this makes sense, but my own experience resonates with this concept. These are, of course, not the only options, just some ideas!

I had a sighting of a perfect circle, red/gold-ish with no glare, completely silent, skimming quickly across the sky during the day, underneath the blanket of grey clouds. Yep. It was about as big as my thumbnail, and moved from south to north in a straight, intentional manner (no floating, or meandering - like it was on a flight plan). As I stared at it in bewilderment, scrolling through all the things I thought it could be, I came to a point where I thought "this goes into the 'ufo' - unidentified - category! Then, in a blink of an eye, it shot forward at incredible speed, becoming a blur, a solid streak, then *poof* just as abruptly it was simply gone, at least to my eyes.

I had this strong urge to ignore that I'd seen anything, but forced myself to remember as much detail as I could. Whatever it was, it certainly didn't seem interested in me! More like it was on some unfathomable mission of its own. The sighting allowed me to step down from auto-skeptic, though I try to be aware of the most logical explanations first (I am learning a lot from debunkers on ATS in that regard - it is a good education, though it does not dim my own experience - I know what I saw.) There was a real sense of... consciousness... to the craft? Not like it was alive, but that it was controlled by aliveness, consciousness, etc. It did not seem robotic or remote controlled - very distinctly not. I had a mental impression of sorts that this was so, but no way to explain that - a bit of weirdness on the intuitive level - take it or leave it.

So, back to the question - I think that through tech and through their own abilities, beings could interfere with our perceptions of reality, thus the "high strangeness" - I also think that they may work with certain energies (and I don't mean 'entities' - I mean 'frequencies') that can easily alter human conscious perception, so that may also explain some of the high strangeness - at least it does to me, who has absolutely no proof of this, its just my opinion. Just sort of thinking out loud...

Thanks again, OP

- AB

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

For the reasons you've identified and many more, I believe it is appropriate to doubt the ETH. However, I find an inter-dimensional explanation to be a particularly undesirable alternative. For one thing, it's more complex, confusing, meaningless to most people, and less well understood than virtually any competing theory. We must be careful here not to favor a mysterious and ultimately meaningless "explanation" because the problem itself is so mysterious and difficult.

ETH at least implies a coherent and comprehensible story: intelligent life forms on another planet built a machine and flew it here, and then someone saw it, and that's how to account for the UFO phenomenon. "Inter-dimensional" type hypotheses do not really tell a coherent story, or one that can be described in an object way, or one that is even particularity meaningful to the vast majority of people; even well educated, intelligent people. It essentially says that physics is not like we think it is, the differences are too mysterious to describe in detail, and that by something akin to magic, another reality exists with aliens in it and they pass freely - also by magic - between their world and ours.

It's hard for me to pin down anything concrete or rigorous about the inter-dimensional explanations that would distinguish them from a convoluted way of saying, "I have no idea wtf is going on." This is mainly because there are no established details of the inter-dimensional hypotheses. When pressed, no one is able to offer anything resembling the details of a rigorous definition of this hypothesis. For these reasons, it is equivalent to no explanation at all, in my opinion. It introduces so many wildcards and involves so much hand waving, and is so deeply at odds with established physics, and is so profoundly lacking in evidence, that I believe it is absolutely impossible to give a satisfactory answer to the question, "What reason do I have for believing this?"

So, OP...is this theory appealing to you due to its inherent merits, or due to the fact that you doubt the ETH and that there is a paucity of sensible alternatives?

Never accept a theory because it's the only one left - because none of the alternatives are acceptable and you can't think of anything else. Only accept a theory based on it's own merits.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yeah, for some time now.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Why not both?

Anee (and Domo 1) I don't totally preclude intelligent life on other planets…nor do I preclude some sort of Jungian explanation that its all derived somewhere in our psyche/subconscious.

It's just that I've come to regard a dimensional explanation more inclusive when factoring in all the details of the phenomena.

It would take a doctoral length dissertation to explain all my own reasoning, but I'll share more along the way.

Thanks for participating.

PLUS: Big shout-out to AQuestion, Flux8, AboveBoard, and W3RLIED2 for your fascinating comments. Thanks!

edit on 14-7-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Sorry, but count me a major "skeptic" about the so-called "inter-dimensional hypothesis".

It just seems like a cop out. Like the "lazy" explanation. Why? Because when you say, "inter-dimensional" it means all things ... and ... nothing at all?

What do you mean by another dimension? Another spacial dimension? Like the extremely tiny spacial dimensions that theoretically exist under string theory?Or maybe another physical universe?

Or just another new agey "vibration", "frequency", really? Under what actual and real scientific theory?
Or maybe just a "Jungian archetype", which basically just exists in your mind.

Its all crapola - at least for now until someone actually proves the existence of "another dimension".
But having said all that, I do like the "fifth dimension"... LOL
Fifth Dimension - Up, Up and Away

At least with the ET hypothesis we are dealing with something that we know exists - other planets circling around other stars.

The Inter-dimensional "hypothesis" is purely a "way out wacko" theory, until someone actually defines "another dimension" with something more than new agey terms like "frequency" and "vibration" - and someone actually proves the existence of "another dimension", that can possibly host life and intelligence that not only exists, but can actually visit here.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by The GUT

Dear The GUT,

I see UFOs as inter-dimensional but demonic.

Dear Annee,

LOL. You have conversed with me before and know I am a Christian. We don't have to agree; but, my opinion is mine and make it quite clearly and give my thought process. Travel faster than the speed of light violates the laws of physics. The number and variation of supposed visitations exceeds any reason. If aliens were willing to make the investment into traveling here from even the nearest star, wouldn't it make more sense for them to interact with us more in the public, make themselves known? Would we travel to another universe just to be seen for 15 minutes or would we stop and stick around for a bit? If you accept the inter-dimensional explanation then why do they need to constantly conduct medical experiments on human sexuality? Now, if you do not accept the UFO phenomenon at all, I can live with that and we can find another explanation for all of these sightings.

Demonic?

What is your religion?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT

PLUS: Big shout-out to AQuestion, Flux8, AboveBoard, and W3RLIED2 for your fascinating comments. Thanks!

You shout out to someone who brings Demonic into this discussion?

Really? That is damn scary.

What is YOUR earth religion?

edit on 14-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
reply to post by The GUT

... It essentially says that physics is not like we think it is, the differences are too mysterious to describe in detail, and that by something akin to magic, another reality exists with aliens in it and they pass freely - also by magic - between their world and ours....

And nuts & bolt craft that make right angle turns and make no sound at speeds that are multiple times faster than the speed of sound don't defy our currently accepted physics?

Thanks for your thoughtful reply though. I found intelligence in it...but lacking the coherence you think the IDH does, too.

To each his own.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join