It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The death penalty is inhumane"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minnie1985
reply to post by HumanCondition

i honestly don't know which i'd choose if they were my only options, i really truly do not know,

what saddens me with the death penalty is that its not like they just go ahead and do it, from what i understand (i'm from the uk and we don't have the death penalty) the prisoner can be kept in jail for a very long time and have no idea when they will be put to death, i just couldn't for the life in me imagine what that must feel like to wake up every morning and wonder if today is the day i'd be killed, it must be one of the most horrific forms of torture,

i understand that some people on death row have done despicable things but i don't see how murdering them in retaliation is going to solve the problem,

just my opinion though

It isn't punishment or retaliation. It is a purging. It permanently removes them from the population. They are worthless. Why should we pay for their keep?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Bloodlust in any form, and especially collesiums is hellzone ,it means you don't graduate from planet earth.

You actually not supposed to want even the worst of the cosmos to rot in pits, but strive to redeem them, cure them, help them, love them.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

It isn't punishment or retaliation. It is a purging. It permanently removes them from the population. They are worthless. Why should we pay for their keep?

why does it have to come down to money? this about peoples lives and no one has the right to take another persons life, even if that person has taken someone elses, two wrongs do not make a right

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Derek Bentley 19, was hung in England in the 50's. He had a known IQ of 66, he was epileptic, had trauma to his head in WW2 bombing of his home, did not actually kill anyone, but was in the course of a burglary with a 16 year old accomplice, Christopher Craig who was the killer of a policeman during the burglary, and who also wounded another officer. Craig was given ten years, while Bentley was hung on the testimony of officers who alleged Bently said, "Let him have it Chris" something both Bentley and Craig denied was said, and something that would be open to interpretation anyway, but he was hung on the basis of those words, as a willing accomplice to murder. That was one one the last hangings in the UK. You would have to be an edjit to not see how this case was a prime example of why there should not be a death penalty anywhere.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
How about voluntary suicide? Is that out of line? I'm just asking.

What if a MURDERER was sent to prison for life and said "I'll take the blue pill"

Is that immoral? Or just good business?

Kinda just go "Here Murderer Frank,Just in case you can't take the cell anymore, here's a little smuthin sumthin with your meal when your ready"

OH, then the other prisoners would save up their stashes and make a "Killer" dose.

Nevermind.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

In murder there is the victim and the perpetrator is also a victim

I have never been able to understand this perspective. NO - the VICTIM is the victim, along with their entire family. The murderer is a person who showed no compassion to the VICTIM, and painfully, violently, with extreme suffering on the part of the victim, TOOK the victim's life, with no regard to the victim's human rights.

My grandmother was brutally murdered at the age of 63, in Falls Church, VA, when I was in Junior High. Her next door neighbor strangled her, slit her throat to make sure she was dead, tried to rape her after she died, jumped on her lifeless body, breaking her back in several places, and then further brutalized her body, destroying her insides. He left her body in my youngest Aunt's room, who had just returned from a religious mission in Brazil, and it was my Aunt who found her. Here is one of many places online where the murder and subsequent death penalty is recorded. He had come next door, asking to use the phone. All my Grandma did was ask after his family.

It took a while for them to catch him, as he stole Grandma's car and took off. During that time, the police we afraid he might come after my family, as there were letters from us in her purse that he took. Since then, I've never left the door unlocked - some of my friends have thought I was wierd for that. They eventually caught him. His criminal history also included raping his own mother when she was elderly, and traumatizing a family on holliday, while he was on the run from my Grandma's murder.

It took years of appeals before he finally got the death penalty. We couldn't believe it took so long. There were protestors and appeals right up to the very last minute.

Why doesn't anybody seem to care about the victim's rights? Why don't you folks care about what the family of the victim has to go through? No, it isn't about punishment or vengence. It is about making sure that person never kills another person, and that the family of the victim can feel some relief that even though our loved one had to suffer in pain and die, at least this person will NEVER be able to do that again to anyone else. If that additionally happens to be a deterrent to other evil people and prevents one of them from killing, then that is good in my book.

It absolutely amazes me how few Victims Rights groups are out there and how little thought people give to what families go through when a family member is murdered. I give huge kudos to the police on this. They see it every day. They are the ones who talk to the victims and provide help and information and deal with our pain. I am full of respect for the folks who work with victims of violence. They have to have special training, and deal with all of this pain and trauma. They are absolutely AMAZING.
edit on 15-0720127-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
advanced cultures dont kill humans unless its for defence and a warning has been given

simple

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by canyouhandletruth
advanced cultures dont kill humans unless its for defence and a warning has been given

simple

I can't tell you how ticked off self-satisfied comments like this make me feel. But, my personal frustrations aside, how does our advanced culture justify this supposedly inhumane practice, when it is considered the only humane thing to do to "put down" a beloved pet that is suffering and in pain?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

In what kind of twisted parallel world does the perpetrator is also a victim?Oops I killed 60 people,after i elaborately hunted,tortured and murdered them ,inflicting pain on their families and ruining other people's lives but please forgive me I am also a victim.How about genocide,and terrorist attacks where hundreds of people die?I guess we should just slap the perpetrators on the wrist,and give them a comfy room and three meals for the rest of their lives.Please take off your pink glasses,life was cruel to the people they killed,they deserve nothing better.If something like that happened to someone I love,I would want nothing less than blood.And please stop with the new age bull#,you don't #ing graduate from planet earth.Next time someone comes at your house in the middle of the night and rapes and murders your daughter I'm sure you will kiss them,hug them and pray for them to graduate from planet earth.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minnie1985
reply to post by OhZone

why does it have to come down to money? this about peoples lives and no one has the right to take another persons life, even if that person has taken someone elses, two wrongs do not make a right

It isn't down to money. That is just part of the benefit of removing them from the planet. Keeping them would be akin to keeping that smudge on your cheek, that stain on your shirt, the moldy left overs in the fridge, or the dog poop on the carpet. It is never wrong to do proper cleansing.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanCondition
The idea that the death penalty is inhumane, but life without parole is humane really perplexes me.

Let me explain that I think neither are a good option, especially for a system that is meant to be about 'rehabilitation'.

But ask yourself, which would you prefer?

Forcing someone to spend their entire life, possibly over half a century in a small box seems like the worse kind of torture and human rights abuse to me.

Why not let the person who is sentenced decide? If he/she wants to end it then do it quickly. But with drugs without pain so not electric chair or gas that is just sadistic by te goverment. Some people need to be removed from society since they have dangerous behavior to society. They are predetors and you do not think twice when you kill a animal predator that is a danger so why should you be so touchy feely about people that clearly are dangerous. But then I think if you are a sexuall predetor then you should not be allowed a tool needed for the behaviour. Removal of the sexual organ/castration will probably change the chemicals in the body that will make the person more stable. If you cannot use the tool as it is meant to be used then you should not be allowed a tool.

I do not care about the unenlightened offender rights that much against the victims rights . We all reap what we seed.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think both are wrong also. At the same time, if all they are going to do is sit in a cage for decades what is the point in everyone else paying for that? If prisoners were used for hard labor during their sentences maybe that would add to the deterrence factor. People know if they get locked up they are going to sit there and wait for their time to be up...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Bloodlust in any form, and especially collesiums is hellzone ,it means you don't graduate from planet earth.

You actually not supposed to want even the worst of the cosmos to rot in pits, but strive to redeem them, cure them, help them, love them.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Animal instinc is hard to control for some so sometimes you do need to do drastic things that remove their freedom to hurt others. I agree that you should help the ones that want help but you cannot help somebody that do not want to be helped and have to wait for them to want it. Some souls can not handle being human. Myself included really but maybe not in the same way

If they rot in pits for a while then it is because they have created that fate. Punishment/timout is only used to learn the lesson. When the lesson is done then karma can begin to be absolved. Im sorry if I do not have more empathy for the people on that stage of development. From my point of view they should have long ago evolved beyond that stage. One off the reasons why I am sometimes wondering if we do not need a harvest.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21
reply to post by Unity_99

In what kind of twisted parallel world does the perpetrator is also a victim?Oops I killed 60 people,after i elaborately hunted,tortured and murdered them ,inflicting pain on their families and ruining other people's lives but please forgive me I am also a victim.How about genocide,and terrorist attacks where hundreds of people die?I guess we should just slap the perpetrators on the wrist,and give them a comfy room and three meals for the rest of their lives.Please take off your pink glasses,life was cruel to the people they killed,they deserve nothing better.If something like that happened to someone I love,I would want nothing less than blood.And please stop with the new age bull#,you don't #ing graduate from planet earth.Next time someone comes at your house in the middle of the night and rapes and murders your daughter I'm sure you will kiss them,hug them and pray for them to graduate from planet earth.

You can have a person that does bad things because of curcumstances and going down to their level of sadistic behaviour is not good for a person. But yes if someone raped my daughter if I had one then that person would have commited suicide from my point of view. Do not do the crime if you cannot handle the karma backlash/consequnces.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If a death sentence is carried out there must be proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.... Solid hard proof and even then, is it right? Do two wrongs make a right? I dont know.

Eye for an eye? Tooth for tooth?

Just be bad enough where someone will in turn kill you if you are yourself a killer?

How do you be humane to all parties involved?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanCondition
The idea that the death penalty is inhumane, but life without parole is humane really perplexes me.

Let me explain that I think neither are a good option, especially for a system that is meant to be about 'rehabilitation'.

But ask yourself, which would you prefer?

Forcing someone to spend their entire life, possibly over half a century in a small box seems like the worse kind of torture and human rights abuse to me.

Getting to this party late, so I quoted the OP since it is short anyway.

I agree with you on all points. There are no good options to deal with a dangerous criminal. Life in a box is inhumane, and expensive. Killing them outright is risky due to possible mistakes in the legal system, and the weak stomach of some people for killing.

Here is how I think it should go.

1. No jail for anything other than violent offenses that pose a risk to public safety.
2. Jail should be temporary, and combined with intense therapy and re-education and job-training.
3. Parole and Probation should be strictly monitored, and penalties for messing it up should be severe.
4. If and when the death penalty is used, the victims or families of the victims should have the opportunity to administer it. Take the call out of the hands of a neutral third party, and put the responsibility where it belongs.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well the Christian religion went from violent to peaceful with Christ, old testament to new. And only the US, does it seem to not follow Christ but delve into the fundamentalism and old testament.

"You may have heard of an eye for an eye, or a tooth for a tooth, but I tell you this, turn the other cheek!"

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?...

"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
If a death sentence is carried out there must be proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.... Solid hard proof and even then, is it right? Do two wrongs make a right? I dont know.

Eye for an eye? Tooth for tooth?

Just be bad enough where someone will in turn kill you if you are yourself a killer?

How do you be humane to all parties involved?

I agree that the situation sucks when that happens. Would you become the beast to protect the innocent blessed loving ones from other beasts if there was no other way, even if you had to pay the price of leaving the blissful home because you do not fit in there anymore and have to start over with karmadebt again?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My question is "why is it that if you are honest and a hard worker you have to work to survive but if your a thief and get caught you get to go sit in prison where you don't have to work to live? This doesn't sound fair.
edit on 15-7-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

Well next time you see a homicide victim, ask them about it. I'm sure they will be able to answer your question. How about a child who was molested and how life feels afterwards? You want to talk about torture, think about the people who went through it and not the ones who done it according to their own free will.

The reason why most are put behind bars for life is because they cannot be trusted not to re-offend and bring grief to someones life. I agree about the Death penalty though... It aint inhumane, its just to easy in some cases. They deserve to be boxed up for the rest of their lives and in more ways then one.
edit on 15-7-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join