It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The death penalty is inhumane"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The idea that the death penalty is inhumane, but life without parole is humane really perplexes me.

Let me explain that I think neither are a good option, especially for a system that is meant to be about 'rehabilitation'.

But ask yourself, which would you prefer?

Forcing someone to spend their entire life, possibly over half a century in a small box seems like the worse kind of torture and human rights abuse to me.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If even their is a chance that an innocent would be put to death than yes it should be stopped.

Frankly the death penalty is more humane than life in prison...

I like the ray liotta movie no escape... That's how it should be done.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
If even their is a chance that an innocent would be put to death than yes it should be stopped.

Yes I agree that is a problem. But the number of people who are later found innocent is tiny; we can presume that there are thousands of lifers who are innocent but will never be proven innocent.
If I was innocent I would rather death then take the 0.01% chance that I will be found innocent in say.. 10, 30, 60 years time.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

So.... if "their" is a chance that someone is innocent it should be stopped?
Yet you advocate that it is more “humane” than life in prison?

What?
You can't have it both ways.

- Ray Liota

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Solve the problem with a Soylent Green processing plant.

Soylent Green; The people food.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

If the death penalty is no good in your opinion, I'd expect you to die without a fight if attacked.
After all, fighting back has caused the death of some would be attackers.
What a silly idea, being someones punching bag willingly.
I think there is a name for that syndrome.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
If someone actually did kill someone else--not talking about self-defense or justified homicide or someone killing someone else who begs for death because of illness--why does "humane" enter into it? What do we owe someone who has committed murder?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

I don't think either are too inhumane for those people who commit the crimes that would get them punished with them. Either they get a room and three meals a day or they're put to death in a controlled way. That's a lot more humanity than they showed their victims.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanCondition
The idea that the death penalty is inhumane

Exists because some people aren't human. Murder is murder anyway you look at it and deciding to have the moral high ground over somebody's life and death is not your everyday kind of reality.

As a society it's up to us to determine what sentence is carried out on those who break our most heinous laws. Right now most of us agree that certain things are unforgivable.

I disagree with most of the judicial system and ALL of it's parts are broken as far as I'm concerned in some way or another. But I honestly don't wanna be economically responsible for somebody who murders children to get 3 squares a day and a warm bed for the rest of their life.

Not only is life in prison idiotic for a variety of reasons (for inmates and society), it's a drain on any economy as no doubt the United States has started to feel. Seen all those tv shows filmed in prisons? Why do you think those are more popular?

Networks pay big dollars for content.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

It's not a hard thought to grasp

Life in prison at least allows for the chance that they could later be proved innocent however unlikely...

Life in prison for say a murderer is worse than a quick death.

In an imperfect system one must find the best solution possible.

The death "penalty" it self proves its not about rehab, it's punishment.
edit on 14-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Agree.

My biggest problem, is those on the Death Penalty, that are innocent, or were killed, and FOUND innocent.

There is no way to tell how many of the over 1,000 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:

Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989 Ruben Cantu Texas Convicted: 1985, Executed: 1993 Larry Griffin Missouri Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995 Joseph O'Dell Virginia Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997 David Spence Texas Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997 Leo Jones Florida Convicted: 1981, Executed: 1998 Gary Graham Texas Convicted: 1981, Executed: 2000, Claude Jones Texas Convicted 1989, Executed 2000 Cameron Willingham Texas Convicted: 1992, Executed: 2004 Troy Davis Georgia Convicted 1991 Executed 2011

Executed But Possibly Innocent

I suggest ANYONE that believes this doesn't happen, take a look at these cases.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I often feel as if locking somebody up in a prison for life resembles torture more than execution does. Talk about demeaning, being confined in a cage, utterly stripped of freedom. If it can be determined that somebody is truly that dangerous it's our sad duty to remove them as a threat and hope that if there is a reincarnation or afterlife they learn their lesson and become a spiritual warrior, a perfect soul.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I would rather take lethal injection than spend a lifetime in prison.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

I concur completely.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The fine line between punishment, and penalizing wrongdoers has been blurred, due to the "money" involved.

Period.

A study conducted by the Bureau of Justice in 2005 showed that a record 33-year continuous rise in the number of inmates in the United States despite falling crime rates.

Consider that for every $1 we spend on higher education in this country, we spend $.60 on correctional facilities.
Collectively, the States and Federal government spend about $74 billion a year on corrections, and nearly 800,000 people who work in the industry.
The largest private prison conglomerate in the United States is Corrections Corporations of America(CCA) which controls more than 47% of all private prison and jail beds nationwide, produces a 13% to 15% return annually.
Nearly ¼ of the world’s total number of prisoners being incarcerated behind bars are Americans.
1 out of every 32 Americans is on probation, parole or in prison.
A total 7,225,800 adults were under correctional supervision in 2009 (about 3.1% of US Adults).
Of these, 4,933,667 adults were on probation or parole.
According to the US Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are over 2,266,800 adults incarcerated in US Federal and States prisons today.
County jails accounts for another .7% of U.S. adults.
There are more Americans under “correctional supervision” than were in Stalin’s Gulags.
Every day, at least 50,000 men—a full house at Yankee Stadium are in solitary confinement.
86,927 juveniles were in detention as of 2007.
Texas alone has sentenced more than 400 teenagers to life imprisonment.
A black male is 7x more likely to be imprisoned than a white male.
Prison rape is so endemic—more than 70,000 prisoners are raped each year.

The Prison Industrial Complex

Sobering numbers, actually.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I don't think the death penalty is inhumane. A person who kills without remorse and would kill again should be put to death. People who are convicted of multiple rapes where bodily harm was done should also be sentenced to death. We don't need these kind of people in prison teaching other prisoners to get worse. It's bad enough that people learn to get worse in prison without having these people contributing. I wouldn't want any of my relatives learning stuff from this kind of person if they somehow wound up in prison.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Personally I think a prison sentence itself is inhumane, its basically humans deciding to take away another human's freedom, and the only people that should have the right to freedom taken away is murderers, they take a life, so should have to sacrifice their freedom.

I know there are those that would say poppycock to my ideal, but forgiveness is justice, imprisonment is revenge, and revenge is unjust.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
At least two posters have said the system is, or should be, about rehabilitation. I think this is painfully wrong. Consider a system that lets you free when you are rehabilitated. Every six months (or so) bureaucrats look at a file and determine whether you are free to go or not. There is nothing stopping a prisoner from being locked up for life if he never shows that he is "rehabilitated" to the satisfaction of his examiners. Not a judge or a jury, but a government employee who is no doubt looking at a checklist.

Thankfully, that system is making only slow progress into America's thinking. There is still a sense that punishment should be based on justice. Steal a candy bar and get ten days in jail. The punishment is fixed. It has a time limit. You're free when you have paid your debt. That is just.

What happens when a murder is declared "rehabilitated" six months after he is jailed? If the purpose of the system is rehabilitation, then why shouldn't he be released? The goal has been achieved, but no one claims it is just. The people will be (and have been) in an uproar when that happens.

Satisfying justice is the only reason I can think of for depriving a man of his freedom, and satisfying justice is what should determine the penalty.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Yeah, I think we should just shoot someone who is trying to break into our houses. It's inhumane to put them into jail.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Your premise is flawed, It's not about rehabilitation. It's punishment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join