It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Most every wealthy individual didn't get there on their own. They had some help somewhere along the way from society. Whether it be safe roads or reliable energy sources or public education.

And those people paid taxes, like everyone else. But I guess that because they are successful, then they "OWE" everyone else something.

Originally posted by links234
Bill Gates was brought up as an example...you realize he agrees with the president on this issue, right? He's giving away more than half of his fortune along with Warren Buffet. Warren Buffet went to a public school, all of his kids did too.

That is nice and all, but they did it of their own free will. Not by the Govt forcing them to.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I guess with this type of logic, there would be no failed business owners in deep debt, or without jobs after their business fails. What happens when a business fails? Do all of the employees gather around the business owner, thank him for employing them, and then take up a collection to help him survive and pay off his debt? No, they don't, they move on to another job, and the owner is left with trying to remedy his own situation. This is where the "touchy-feely" logic fails. The risk is never equal. Everyone in a business is not equal.

Employeers and employees are dependent on each other of course, and you should treat your employees well just as you should treat the owners of said business well, it does go both ways. But, Obama places way too much emphasis on the collectivism aspect. What is the point of taking the risk if you see everyone around you making the same profits while just showing up for work, or better yet, not working and still getting a check? Why bother? This makes me think of China. China is very good at mass producing, innovation, not so much.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by jude11
Well I could use some help with my bakery but I don't see any politicians coming in to wash pots and pans for me.

Nope...I DO THAT.

Obama..pfffttt...

But the government built the road that brings you supplies, and customers. They built the waterlines you use to bring water effortlessly into your dish pit. Since you live in Canada, they have also paved the way for the settlement that brought farms to your region in the first place, by subsidizing homesteaders and even giving away land.

To deny the benefits you gain from living in a country with a healthy government sponsored infrastructure is the ultimate first world delusion.

To say we utilize the facilities around us to build our business and to say we didn't build that business are two completely different things. There is a road that goes by my house; I have city water, gas, electric but for SOME REASON, still no business! What gives?

This is just a plain stupid thing to say and it's childish semantics to agree with it. There are also a hundred colleges in my city but I have to actually exert the effort to actually get a degree. That would imply that I earned that degree, not the person who built the college.

Let me finish by saying, the government does NOT have one red cent of their own; they never have and never will. They get it by shaking me down and other tax payers. And those government workers? I pay their paychecks.

One could argue that without Adam and Eve, our business's wouldn't be possible. It's a stupid argument and most of you know it. Those of you who don't, probably haven't ever strived, achieved or accomplished anything on your own.

edit on 16-7-2012 by axslinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Can we just open Galt's gulch and let all of you high and mighty rugged individualist leave already? I'm sure you will do so much better and everything will be sunshine and rainbows. It's laughable because those sitting here screeching about collectivism take part in collectivist action like Organized Religion and Political Parties.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
WE built this!!!
To get away from this
and ended up with this
and finally this is what it has come to(on the video below view 3:45-4:38 and 5:35-6:01)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

You could NEVER have opened a business if the government hadnt facilitated such work like building the infrastructure you take for granted every day, like supply chains, roads, sewer, gas electric, etc. That's all built by the government. Not you and your grandad.

I have been to businesses that operate in the United States that still operate without any of these things that you have listed, with the exception of supply chains(the last leg of the supply chain consisted of private aircraft taking off and landing on water at both ends). The supply chains may have been partially built by the government, but without the hard work of businesses, including private farms, what would the government had to build roads to?
The great railroads across the US were built by businesses to supply businesses. The businesses and their employees (and investors buying bonds) supplied the government with the capital to do what they have done and continue to do.

edit on 16-7-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen’

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

www.theblaze.com...

What a load of garbage, the government didn't build a damn thing. It is the people, their sweat, their tears and their blood that builds a nation. It seems that those in government, from both parties, have forgotten this. Without the people, the government is nothing.

Wells said!
Let's not forget that it's the taxes those businesses have paid that built those roads, infrastructure...AND pay Obama's salary.

NEWSFLASH to OBAMA:
YOU and the government are employed by the people...NOT the other way around!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
my take on what he said is that hes telling you that he is where he is today due to all the help he has recieved . I think you can all agree on that .

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen’

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

www.theblaze.com...

Just a few quotes from President Obama's speech in Roanoke, Virginia and it speaks volumes of how that individual thinks. To me, those statements suggest we all should be so very thankful of the government, of how "they" built the infrastructure we all enjoy, and don't mind when we raise your taxes...it is paying back the government, who really built your business.

What a load of garbage, the government didn't build a damn thing. It is the people, their sweat, their tears and their blood that builds a nation. It seems that those in government, from both parties, have forgotten this. Without the people, the government is nothing.

It's interesting to me that we think of the government as some separate invasive organization. We have a representative democracy which means we elect our politicians to cast votes for us. With that said, government is a good thing. We want infrastructure, we want regulations (whether you know it or not, pollution laws protecting our health, laws protecting our liberty from being stepped on, etc). I find it interesting when you say "What a load of garbage, the government didn't build a damn thing. It is the people, their sweat, their tears and their blood that builds a nation," That sentence is interesting because the government represents the collective will of the citizens, the government IS the people. I guess I find it interesting that we blame what we've created, what we've chosen to represent us. Without government we would have warring factions, monopolies, tyrants, etc.

I believe we perceive government as this separate invasive entity because deep down we know our representatives are bought and paid for by private interests. We know deep down that we haven't really elected someone to speak for us, we've simply elected someone who'll sell themselves to the highest bidder and vote accordingly. Where this democratic representative democracy is suppose to somewhat empower the individual citizen it instead makes us feel powerless. Makes us feel like those we elect to speak for us are our enemies.

Summary: Government is a good thing, it really is. They really did assist with building the infrastructure that businesses and individuals enjoy on a daily basis. However, the current form of government with so much influence from private interests is a complete conflict of interest and undermines the very purpose of government.

If only congress and the president could put forth legislation stating that "all elections at all levels of government will now be completely funded by the tax payer." Each candidate gets X amount of tax payer dollars and that's it. No money or favor based lobbying.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

How much would you be willing to pay a private corporation to ensure that the trucks that bring your supplies are not attacked by a gang of marauders on their way to your shop?

How much would you be willing to pay a private corporation to bring water to your sink?

How much would you be willing to pay a private corporation to ensure that your eggs and flour are free from pests and rot?

How much would you be willing to pay a private corporation to lay down power lines so you have electricity?

How much would you be willing to pay a private corporation to lay down sidewalks so your customers can reach your shop?

You cannot run a business without the infrastructure listed above. Even though you may pay for these services, you're not doing it alone. You need the help of others to run your business.

You wouldn't be able to afford to be in business if you had to pay a private corporation to do these things for you. Unfortunately, some of our current "representatives" are trying to shrink our government to the point where they want our military, education system, prison system, etc to be privatized. Would you rather have our infrastructure run by those who care for nothing more than their own profits? Or would you rather it be run by those who have to answer to WE the PEOPLE?

Though seeing how many of these Tea Party "government is too big" politicians that are being voted in, I guess people want privatization. Ugh...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm seeing the weirdest arguments in this thread that I've ever seen. People are claiming that business owners owe it all to the government because the government built roads and "infrastructure."

I have a relative who, after practicing guitar for 10 hours a day for 15 years now has a spot with one of the world's top rock bands. He stayed home and practiced while his friends partied. He has some songwriting earnings, so he's close to being a millionaire if he's not there already. He went virtually without pay the first 4-5 years of his tenure with the band, when they were getting established.

According to many posters on this thread, "he" didn't do it. He owes it all to Fender guitars, or Marshall amplifiers, or maybe the company that manufactures the guitar strings. After all, he couldn't have done it without them.

And let us not forget the government! They built the roads that allow the fans to drive to the rock concerts.
I guess my cousin didn't really do it! "Someone else" did it. What was I thinking?

Some of the people who comment on these threads make me fear for the future. Logic, critical thinking and plain old common sense are dying commodities.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just remember this is coming from someone who has never worked in the private sector, has never started, built and made a company into a success. His first job that was anywhere close to A BUSINESS OWNER was the day he was sworn in to office of the President of the USA.

And if this nation was a business, or at least treated with the same rules that apply to businesses big and small, he would have run his business into the ground in only four short years, and would be indicted for all sorts of financial shenanigans.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by theplu

You cannot run a business without the infrastructure listed above. Even though you may pay for these services, you're not doing it alone. You need the help of others to run your business.

What if the government never built or had a hand in the creation of this infrastructure?

Does that it mean it never would have been built?

There was a time when the government was not in the business of infrastructure creation and maintenance. There were businesses back then. There were also roads, railroads and ships.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
doesn't surprise me.....in his world "responsible men" own and run the world......

You know what my father working 3 jobs for 12 years, without vacation, would say.......he won't so I will....screw you dirt wad, We made our own dreams come true....No roads or state investments into its own infrastructure will take away the fact that we employed people thanks to OUR SAVINGS and our hard work.

In fact the government tried 3 times to shut us down for BS. They have always been a thorn in our side rather than a relief. I think as a small business owner my father might be a little insulted for the lack of respect and appreciation for the MILLIONS of dollars we have paid in taxes, for the employees we took care of rather than the system having to, for the communities we have been a part of in good times and not.

I think they should thank us and ask what we might need instead of favoring big business that has never been profitable in the US without public money being pumped into it.

Screw saying thank you.....How about "stop sucking at my tit". Let big business die. Save the little guy. We are more and more important anyways.
edit on 16-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

The only people who want collectivism are the underachievers who can't figure out how to make it in a free market. 

Define "make it" please. I'm genuinely curious as to what you would consider "making it".

Originally posted by Bone75
If self reliance is the new order of the day, then maybe all of us collectivists that you despise so much should just STOP.

Many have which is why we have Occupy and liberals seeking wealth redistribution.

Let me correct that for you... No one stopped, they were laid off, robbed of their pensions, and thrown out of their houses, which is why we have Occupy and liberals seeking wealth redistribution.

All 1% of you?

All 1% of me?
Just how long have you been sleeping under that rock?

edit on 16-7-2012 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I read about 3 pages of this thread till I realized it was out of control.

The statement is, to a degree, correct. All business endeavors benefit from both infrastructure and previous accomplishments.

However; the problem with a president saying this is he just alienated most if not all small business owners. Who did start off as sole "employee", who did work 18 hour days, who did use their own money to start up, many don't even qualify for loans at first, who did pay themselves little, or risk their own livelyhood, who do employee more then half the country.

His ideology is bleeding through....that government, and by and large only government can help us. Ask Russia, North Korea, and the former eastern europeans how that has worked over the years. I am not saying these countries haven't had some successes, but compared to US business, economy, endeveres?

Some of the follow up statements here I find amusing. Several posters have stated, "but the government is made of people...THE PEOPLE, so they all helped". I am going to bet the same posters would also blast Romney (and I am not big on the man incidently) for saying, "corporations are made up of people"....so Government is People, but corporations are not??

Other posters have jumped on the "yeah, others did it, not you!!"....I would bet few or none of these have started a small business. Yes, infrastructure plays a hand, but that's relatively equal to everyone. Not every (in fact few) small business started because "parents gave you money" or they, "got a loan"....

No one is suggesting that business shouldn't be taxed or regulated....but the big question is HOW MUCH should they be taxed and regulated. It's fairly clear by his words and actions the current President has an ideology that business should be GREATLY TAXED and REGULATED....and that increases costs, makes it difficult to run (or start). The man has never run anything remotely like a business. He hasn't even run a Public or Government department when you get down to it. He has LITTLE EXPERIENCE except his ideology (keynsian econ)....which has proven for the most part, to stiffle economies .

If you want the economy to run, be fixed, or whatever you call it, it might be an idea that we elect someone who has expereince IN the economy and has an ideology that represents a reaatively free and open business climate. Which he seems to have neither....let's face it, he has been a community organizer (which is president of the b i t c h and moan fan club basicly), a law professor and editor of a law review (with little actual experience to show for it, few if any law journel articles or publications, few that recal having a full class, just guest speaking) and a state and US senator, in both cases he spent more time running for the next office then writing or voting on legislation. I am not saying he is a bad guy, I just think he is A) an amteur and B) woefully inexperience compared to the job he has and C) has a political and business ideology that is contrary to historically what america has been about, and even what most american's beleive in. It's amazing at my own work how many current admin policies I can list that people say are stupid,,,,yet the same people think he is GREAT!!!!!

I should note, I don't have a "small business" but my dad, uncle, and grandfather started and ran one for 30 years. It provided three families with a good standard of living and solid jobs full time to about 6 people, and 2-3 part time jobs for students in the summer (one of which was myself). Saw I witnessed this first hand. I myself work in the corporate world, which I perfer. But it's nice to know that I live in a country that at one time I could start my own business. I am not so sure about the future of that anymore...
edit on 16-7-2012 by SrWingCommander because: spelling and content

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

Typical narrow minded right wing thinking.

Every single business that depends on transporting material could NOT EVER have succeeded if there were no roads. Who built the roads?

That's a very very basic starter for 10. I could go on and on but you get the point even if you disagree with it !!

Our taxes pay for those roads, the government didn't just build them because they felt like it, people wanted it done, and it was their money doing it, not the government.

Obama is sounding more like Bill Ayers every day.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

This is exactly why his statement pissed me off so much.

I started my business with money I saved and I didn't pay myself a salary for the first 3 years, we lived off of my wifes salary. We didn't take vacations, we didn't buy new cars or any toys. We tightened our belts and made it happen, in spite of the government.

In my field there is tons of government interference. One of my workers who is also a farmer brought his skidsteer in to drag the gravel parking lot. An OSHA guy was driving by, no rollcage on his skidsteer, $1,800 fine for me.

It would exceed the post limit here to list all the roadblocks the fed, state and local governments put up in front of us. And as a non union shop I don't even get to bid on most federal jobs, which my taxes are paying for.

And the SBA is a joke, they only help you if you have money already.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
Is this for real? And to think that I was almost ready to concede and vote for him.

Nearly all of the business owners who I've met have broken their backs for success.
edit on 14-7-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

It is only real if you take the qoute out of context...

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

Easy pickings with poor wording, but it is obvious by "THAT" he was referring to infrastructure, internet, transportation etc. that facilate business.

Maybe it would have helped with the confusion on what "that" refers to if those spinning this had included the VERY NEXT SENTENCE???

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join