It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
President Obama's policies will destroy our current standard of living, but the man is a political GENIUS. He says what appeals to the greatest number of people and he knows that people in general love "star power" and charisma.

Past failures by himself, or any other charismatic politician will be instantly forgiven when it's time to vote. The only thing that could get in the way of Obama being re-elected is if the weather is bad in the Democratic areas of the country. Usually those who vote based on the "star power" of the candidate are pretty shallow in their convictions. If it's raining, snowing, or too cold, these individuals historically do not vote in great numbers on that day.

-cwm

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
We really do seem to be straying off OP's topic. OP took a quote out of context and came up with a phony-balony distortion of what was being said. So why don't we try and get back on topic.

BTW is Michael Douglas lying here when he showed concern about peoples nutrition?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats
[more

It's not a tiny quote and it means what it means.....

You have the phobia of admitting Obama is a collectivist who believes no one can succeed without the government.

When big factories are built, they build the roads to their door with the companies money or they give fees and taxes to the town to expand the roads and upkeep the roads.

Government took over where people used to tread...it will keep taking over unless we stop it. Government should not be in business, education , infrastructure, healthcare etc....that is what people and companies are for....more government control is less freedom.

I don't get you utopia believers....government is bad when they are protecting you with military and police...but they are great when they control every other aspect of your life? How the hell is that freedom?

And you are totally contrary to the constitution which only allows for the public defense (in it's original form) it was to keep the government from controlling your life and you people are begging for control?

Makes my head hurt.....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

You are the phony who started quoting another sentence that was not in the op anyway....

The nerve.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Obama is right. Everyone who is wealthy in this nation has gotten help in some way or another in their life. Anyone that says I became wealthy on my own is a liar.

And anyone who says that has never built and run a successful small business. Government is an OBSTACLE to success, not an enabler of it.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by stanats
[more

It's not a tiny quote and it means what it means.....

You have the phobia of admitting Obama is a collectivist who believes no one can succeed without the government.

When big factories are built, they build the roads to their door with the companies money or they give fees and taxes to the town to expand the roads and upkeep the roads.

Government took over where people used to tread...it will keep taking over unless we stop it. Government should not be in business, education , infrastructure, healthcare etc....that is what people and companies are for....more government control is less freedom.

I don't get you utopia believers....government is bad when they are protecting you with military and police...but they are great when they control every other aspect of your life? How the hell is that freedom?

And you are totally contrary to the constitution which only allows for the public defense (in it's original form) it was to keep the government from controlling your life and you people are begging for control?

Makes my head hurt.....

Try using a little logic to ease your head pain Fire Marshall timetothink:

Quote from same speech:
"There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires."

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

You show your immaturity by constantly repeating sentences that have nothing to do with the op.

The comparison of fighting a fire has nothing to do with imagination, individuality and making a success of yourself.

Liberal Logic 101.....keep distracting from the real issue with BS.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
In honor of all the one man Fire Departments on this thread:

Quote from same speech:
"There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires. "

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbarnhart

Originally posted by buster2010
Obama is right. Everyone who is wealthy in this nation has gotten help in some way or another in their life. Anyone that says I became wealthy on my own is a liar.

And anyone who says that has never built and run a successful small business. Government is an OBSTACLE to success, not an enabler of it.

I run a successful software business that I built. However, Obama is right, I didn't build it on my own. I didn't invent electricity and computers, someone else did. I didn't force people to pay for my service, they requested my service, and in turn made my business what it is today. All successful businesses owe their customers for their success.

Also, the government enables a lot of businesses. If it wasn't for copyright laws created via the government, people could legally steal my software that I create, and my business would not succeed.

So, what were you saying?
edit on 15-7-2012 by senselessness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

reply to post by stanats

You show your immaturity by constantly repeating sentences that have nothing to do with the op.

The comparison of fighting a fire has nothing to do with imagination, individuality and making a success of yourself.

Ok lets ignore OP's b.s. out of context quote and add in Obama praising imagination, individuality and making a success of yourself. and his example of the stupidity of fighting a fire without any cooperation, all you have contributed is b.s. about me being a liberal.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I don't know what Obama is implying here.

Any business person would know what it's like to actually succeed and achieve a profit in today's marketplace. It takes sleepless night, ideas based on logic and workable niches. It's not easy to build a business and get to a point where you are making a decent living from it, from the ground up.

Roads? Infrastructure?

So then tax me the amount you think I owe you for the roads I've driven on, and shut the F up.

Because the way I say it the average middle class person has payed about $250,000 dollars for 10 years in taxes, for NOTHING. I have gotten nowhere near that in repayment or equal services. In fact it's all been squandered by Government. Government has been the biggest HINDRANCE to most I know.

I imagine how much more I would HAVE if it weren't for them. We owe them? They owe us.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by senselessness

Still dont get it?

All americans, 100% have access to all the things you did....are 100% successful? No the successful ones did something unique, usually from their own mind that others did not.

If we all have the same 'accessories" but one makes a million dollars and one ends up homeless, then you have to look at the variables.

Taking the praise away from the successful person by saying stupid things like they didn't also invent the electricity is what takes away initiative, it is the trick of collectivists to make everyone feel hopeless and useless....you cant possibly do anything without big brother....bullcrap.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

That's all it is. They'll never admit that what Obama said goes against American values. 

Hell, most people defending Obama don't even know what 'American values' are. They're just waiting for the next hand out. 

edit on 15-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

I proved it was not taken out of context and quoted it directly from the WH website....you ARE the one with the problem....Obama goggles clouding your comprehension.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

reply to post by stanats

You are the phony who started quoting another sentence that was not in the op anyway....

The nerve.

No, I don't think it took a lot of nerve to quote Obama out of context, OP was just being political, but it would be kind of silly to follow your advice and make the rest of the speech off limits simply because OP is quoting out of context.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

reply to post by stanats

I proved it was not taken out of context and quoted it directly from the WH website....you ARE the one with the problem....Obama goggles clouding your comprehension.

I really think you need to brush up on the meaning of "out of context":

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
These relentless attacks on employers are really not heping the economy get any better and they sure aren't helping anyone get a job. What a divisive "leader" Obama is. Rather than do the actual work involved in bringing the economy back up to par, he continues with the various forms of class and race warfare. Pitting people aganist one another and fanning the flames.Think about it...Who does that remind you of?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Whoever is writing President Obama's speeches over the past few months needs to be replaced. He's using a lot of devisive language to state simple universal truths in many areas.

In the context of this thread, President Obama simply meant that all business success is the result of help received from other human beings. The entepreneur had to have a mother give birth to him/her, teachers and media to impart ideas, manufacturers to supply the raw goods, people to buy the product/service sold, etc..

If Obama had simply put his feelings in that context, we wouldn't be having this discussion and Rush Limbaugh wouldn't be able to pounce all over him... as he's likely to do on Monday's show.

-cwm

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by anywho

Besides every politician since Reagan -- on both sides of the isle? Really, I can't think of anyone else.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
he thinks we are all niggas

reply to post by tamusan

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join