It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Whats wrong with not wanting marxist collectivism in the US?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Trying to verify if this quote was accurate or not I noticed the only video clips of it online are 12 seconds long - which tells me those clips don't want you to hear the full context in which the clip is pulled from.

Shocking.
Deny propaganda.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Praise government, for it is the one that makes us successful, our failures are of our own.
edit on 15-7-2012 by DisplayName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

"Politicians are always the same... egotistical, self-important pricks, save for a tiny minority who actually care about the people."

Um... Can't the exact same thing be said about the majority of entrepreneurs!?

Why is corporate tyranny so much different than any other form?

And I'm tired of hearing about how all of the great progress in the world is such a credit to rich people.

Its not. It's a credit to scientists and rarely is being rich their motivation.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Government is too big and self reliance is the new order of the day. Don't be sucked in to this collectivist garbage!
Free will, individualism, hard work, perseverance, dedication, commitment, etc are what makes business and the country work.

Some folks are so freaking shallow minded. Do you really think a collectivist doesn't value free will, individualism, hard work, perseverance, dedication, and commitment just as much as you do?

If self reliance is the new order of the day, then maybe all of us collectivists that you despise so much should just STOP. I think its time for us to give people like you a big dose of reality. Once the world gets just a little taste of what we can do as a collective when we remove our tapeworms, you will become the last of your kind.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
He was right. I had a business and no one helped me. And since I had no help it died. I had a guy say he was going to sponsor me, but it was just his coc aine talking. Had he not been a coked up moron russian I would still be in business. I needed help and bad. I got nothing now I am unemployed. 18 years of my life for nothing. I have no experience doing anything else. I can't get a job in the field because I have too much experience and no one wants to hire me. And even if they did they would drug test me and Homey don't play that. What I do on my time is my business and no employer has the right to question me about it or discriminate.

But yeah, had I had help I would still be employed. Now I am just a bum. Life sucks.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

What's wrong with eliminating poverty, starvation, crime, disease, pollution, stress, abortion, banks, insurance companies, mortgage companies, salesmen, hard labor, and taxes?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Reflection

I'd like to think that credit for sucess should go to ideas rather than people. Where would we be without things like, honesty, integridy, work ethic, and things like that? They're what deserves credit for sucess no matter where they come from.

The government has been pretty good to the people in this country. You may always have to pay taxes, but the government has always held up it's end of the deal. We as people keep the government working the way it's supposed to by keeping an eye on it. We should be keeping an eye on corporatism in the same way.

If our founding fathers had to deal with corporatism in their time, they would warn us to keep an eye on it just like they warned us to keep an eye on government. Corporatism and government are alot alike. Many people serving a singular interest.

In the case of government that interest they serve is the interest of the people guided by the constitution. In the case of corporatism it's the interest of making money under the guide of government mandated law.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

Government is too big and self reliance is the new order of the day. Don't be sucked in to this collectivist garbage!
Free will, individualism, hard work, perseverance, dedication, commitment, etc are what makes business and the country work.

Some folks are so freaking shallow minded. Do you really think a collectivist doesn't value free will, individualism, hard work, perseverance, dedication, and commitment just as much as you do?

If self reliance is the new order of the day, then maybe all of us collectivists that you despise so much should just STOP. I think its time for us to give people like you a big dose of reality. Once the world gets just a little taste of what we can do as a collective when we remove our tapeworms, you will become the last of your kind.

Contrasts in Emphasis between Common Collectivistic and Individualistic Values

Collectivistic vs. Individualistic

Interdependence, Independence

Obligations to others, Individual rights

Rely on group, Self-sufficiency

Adhere to traditional values, True to own values and beliefs

Maintain traditional practices, Continuously improve practices (progress)

Fulfill roles within group, Pursue individual goals/interests

Group achievement, Individual achievement

Competition between groups, Competition between individuals

Group or hierarchical decision-making, Self-determination and individual choice

Shame/guilt due to failing group, Shame/guilt due to individual failure

Living with kin, Independent living

Take care of own, Seek help if needed

Property shared within group, Strong individual property rights

Elders transmit knowledge (often oral), Individuals seek knowledge (often textual)

Objects valued for social uses, Objects valued for technological uses

edit on 15-7-2012 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

Seabag, 
the system is broke, you dont have to be a cheerleader. And it wont be fixed any time soon.

Are you suggesting we give up on the system?

What do you propose we do then, rebellender? 

Do you know where the money for unemployment compensation and welfare comes from? Many people gladly milk it while the rest of us work for food and shelter.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

What's wrong with eliminating poverty, starvation, crime, disease, pollution, stress, abortion, banks, insurance companies, mortgage companies, salesmen, hard labor, and taxes?

Hahahahahaha... oh and did I say hahahahahahaha? Your kind of idealism is so naive. Please do study some history. I don't want to live in the kind of society folks with your kind of ideas want to forcefully bring about. Tell you what, the United States is the wrong place for you and your friends to try. We have a constitution to protect us from people with ideas such as yours. Perhaps you should relocate to somewhere where your hopes and dreams can be recognized.

What makes you think it is ok to completely change the entire framework of this great nation?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Seabag, 
the system is broke, you dont have to be a cheerleader. And it wont be fixed any time soon.

Are you suggesting we give up on the system?

What do you propose we do then, rebellender? 

Do you know where the money for unemployment compensation and welfare comes from? Many people gladly milk it while the rest of us work for food and shelter.

It comes from taxes taken from the pay checks of government workers like yourself. How does that work? Government gives you money, you give government money via taxes, government gives that money to the unemployed via wellfare, the unemployed spend it on goods made in China so the businessman can send it back to China and make more sub-par goods while keeping a bit of it so he can live better than you or I will ever know. Then you pay your ISP that got their business loan from the government so you can come to ATS and complain about Occupy. That's the system you speak of! Am I the only one that can see where the system is messed up?

Why not just cut out the middle men and send everything the government has to those that are already billionaires? We can give the country back to the native Americans and get our worthless butt's off their land!

edit on 15-7-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Of course they don't.

The only people who want collectivism are the underachievers who can't figure out how to make it in a free market. 

If self reliance is the new order of the day, then maybe all of us collectivists that you despise so much should just STOP.

Many have which is why we have Occupy and liberals seeking wealth redistribution.

I think its time for us to give people like you a big dose of reality. Once the world gets just a little taste of what we can do as a collective when we remove our tapeworms, you will become the last of your kind.

All 1% of you?

Most Americans make it just fine and don't look to DC and their state to carry their pack for them (shoulder their load).

Stop crying and show some of that self reliance you claim to have. If you can do it on your own why then are you after what others have?? 
edit on 15-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

its a little late for go team go

ya know what I mean?

and oh, about the thread where collapse was to happen this month. you have 16 days and your a false prophet

so which is it

GO Team!!!

or imminent DOOM!!

BTW:I have no idea, I am the American Small businessman failure.
I'm not entitled to any OBAMA Money.
and Im not getting any Oil money either.
and I dont sell friday the 13th bunkers either]
edit on 15-7-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

its a little late for go team go 

ya know what I mean?

Maybe for you. Things are working well over here. It's always been 'go team go' for me. 

and oh, about the thread where collapse was to happen this month. you have 16 days and your a false prophet 

so which is it 

GO Team!!! 

or imminent DOOM!!

I don't make predictions, bud. I make threads about what I read that worries/interests/amazes/entertains me. If you're looking to me to predict events then you're as lost as I am.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I don't argue that his speach is wrong but when he takes those increased taxes where do you people think it will go? If you think it will go to those that need it,you are wrong! It's quite clear that there is a redistibution of wealth going on today from the bottom 90% to the top 10% and if you think this will be anything other then that you will find another thing coming your way, which is more heartache, homelessness and hunger! Just like the healthcare bill will do! Wakeup people, cause he is selling something other then what you think!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by stanats

You keep quoting a different line to try to deflect from what Obama said.....the rabid defending of Obama seems to mess with people's comprehension skills.

This is what he said from the official transcript from the official White House website...are they lying?

look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.) If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

www.whitehouse.gov...

" If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen"

See it?? That's what he said and it's disgusting.....if you agree with him you are anti-american....

It is a collectivist word trick.....
edit on 15-7-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

Let me just repeat the line since you seem to have a phobia about it

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires. "

So what is so hard to understand about Obama praising business owners for their individual initiative in creating their business?

BTW, I really don't think that getting as much info as possible by way of reading a person's entire speech rather than slandering them by taking tiny quotes out of context is anti-American.

edit on 15-7-2012 by stanats because: added point

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Bone75

Of course they don't.

The only people who want collectivism are the underachievers who can't figure out how to make it in a free market. 

If self reliance is the new order of the day, then maybe all of us collectivists that you despise so much should just STOP.

Many have which is why we have Occupy and liberals seeking wealth redistribution.

I think its time for us to give people like you a big dose of reality. Once the world gets just a little taste of what we can do as a collective when we remove our tapeworms, you will become the last of your kind.

All 1% of you?

Most Americans make it just fine and don't look to DC and their state to carry their pack for them (shoulder their load).

Stop crying and show some of that self reliance you claim to have. If you can do it on your own why then are you after what others have?? 
edit on 15-7-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

What's a free market? Cause one has'nt existed in almost a century!

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

glad we cleared up your position

and its nice to know that the issues facing our nation are pocket local.

Go Team

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

reply to post by stanats

The only thing OP found is a quote that twists the meaning of Obama's speech by taking a tiny part of it out of context. 

Line immediately following OP's out of context quote: 
"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

Obama is a collectivist. I got it!

Collectivism is the death of freedom. Individualism is the foundation of western civilization. 

Lets get real here. He's dead wrong because it is the businessman that creates business not the employee. It is the businessman taking the risks and investing capital not the employee. It is the businessman putting his neck on the line each week to make payroll for everyone in his company not the employee. Obama and some of you would know this if you had any experience at all in the business world (as a businessman not an employee). 

Meh..

Here is another quote from same speech:
"There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires."

Unless you are like Fire Marshall Seabag where Fire Departments comprised of more than one person are collectivists whatever the f... that means.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join