It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+86 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
President Obama: ‘If You’ve Got a Business — You Didn’t Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen’

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

www.theblaze.com...

Just a few quotes from President Obama's speech in Roanoke, Virginia and it speaks volumes of how that individual thinks. To me, those statements suggest we all should be so very thankful of the government, of how "they" built the infrastructure we all enjoy, and don't mind when we raise your taxes...it is paying back the government, who really built your business.

What a load of garbage, the government didn't build a damn thing. It is the people, their sweat, their tears and their blood that builds a nation. It seems that those in government, from both parties, have forgotten this. Without the people, the government is nothing.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Is this for real? And to think that I was almost ready to concede and vote for him.

Nearly all of the business owners who I've met have broken their backs for success.
edit on 14-7-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is why we need self made men or men who have been truly successful in life in whatever else they chose to pursue. He's out of his league for lack of a better way of saying it...and he;s surrounded by amateurs with the exception of Clinton and..well..I'm still not sure what her real agenda is.

He can't even conceive of someone like Bill Gates or thousands of others who MADE new money and became first generation millionaires over the 10 years or so before the bubble blew all to pieces. Wow.... I can't believe the American President is saying all that. It's what I'd expect to see in subtitles to a Russian address.

+48 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Obama's agenda is clear. Every person being as dependent as possible on government hand outs. There are even commercials now saying how great it is to be on food stamps. He wants everyone to believe they can do nothing without support from his administration. It is frightening to watch him and know his main concern is to control every aspect of your life. We are royally screwed.

+42 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Look, I am not a fan or a detractor of the man. He is just another politician. However...

To a degree he is correct. If you are successful today at almost anything, it comes on the backs of those who have come before you. It comes on the backs of those around you. Of course, you have a good deal to do with it too. There are many a lazy individuals with similar avenues open to them as the successful person but do not take advantage of it.

While I have no clue what the man is thinking (unlike many of the other gifted mind readers commenting) I agree there are too many who feel they are "their own man", "I did it my way", "pulled up by my own boot straps", etc. That is self absorbed, self aggrandizing nonsense.

I do not believe we need more government in our lives (if that was indeed the snake oil he was selling) but things like infrastructure allows us to build what we do. Emergency services allow us to do it with a degree of confidence we have someone to call if it gets crazy. The military allows us a bubble in which to build our future. All those things come with some degree of collectivism or government.

+38 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

He's telling the truth, but selfish and greedy people can not see the truth.

Great socities and civilizations require a collective effort. Business owners and entrepreneurs are like chefs. While they might be the ones mixing everything together, if their vegetables are rotten or their blender is broken, then they can't make a succesful meal. The quality of the ingredients and tools are just as important as the person who combines everything.

In this case, the raw ingredients are the American people and the tools are this country's infastructure, which was created and is maintained by even more Americans. It's really about acknowledging and paying dues to the people who helped you to get where you are because in truth you can not do it on your own. Companies who don't bother to keep their office bathrooms clean are not going to retain the highest quality professionals, who are smart and help keep them successful. So remember that even the janitors play a part in making business owners successful.

edit on 14-7-2012 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
There's science and applied science. The statement is accurate, don't think it could be argued. But the applied part is what is debatable and what people have an issue with.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Most every wealthy individual didn't get there on their own. They had some help somewhere along the way from society. Whether it be safe roads or reliable energy sources or public education.

Bill Gates was brought up as an example...you realize he agrees with the president on this issue, right? He's giving away more than half of his fortune along with Warren Buffet. Warren Buffet went to a public school, all of his kids did too.

Society, in the form of government, built the foundation for the rich to become rich.
edit on 14-7-2012 by links234 because: Bad grammar.

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

What a load of garbage, the government didn't build a damn thing. It is the people, their sweat, their tears and their blood that builds a nation. It seems that those in government, from both parties, have forgotten this. Without the people, the government is nothing.

You might want to review US history. Government is made of people. Government IS people. The US Government built the infrastructure we all enjoy. It was not made just by private corporations, or by individuals acting alone. It was co-ordinated by the Government, and would not exist as it does today with the Government

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Way to completely overshoot his point, ATS.

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Obama is right. Everyone who is wealthy in this nation has gotten help in some way or another in their life. Anyone that says I became wealthy on my own is a liar.

+29 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well I could use some help with my bakery but I don't see any politicians coming in to wash pots and pans for me.

Nope...I DO THAT.

Obama..pfffttt...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
Is this for real? And to think that I was almost ready to concede and vote for him.

Nearly all of the business owners who I've met have broken their backs for success.
edit on 14-7-2012 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

I've broken my back and I'm still not successful. Hogwash.

I agree with him on that statement. Before they made it successful, someone had to be there to help them.

Everything else, I disagree with.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

wow....

this writing team he has is coming up with comedy gold left and right.

can't believe this is serious.

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Regardless of whoever you are, society has helped you in one way or another. I have been greatly helped by highways, postal service, public schooling, community college, libraries, paved roads, public parks, and a million other things. Certain individualistic rhetoric wants you to forget this...people with common sense can see through it though.

A business would be nothing without it's customers

edit on 14-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I agree with everything he said. People make the BS argument for instance that if they don't have kids they shouldn't fund schools. Preposterous. Those kids are going to be taking care of you and paying taxes. Same thing here. There really is no such thing as a self made businessman. School, roads, other business, agriculture, everything is connected. When one part falls so do the rest. See how well your restaraunt does without truckers.

you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

That was a poor choice of words though.
edit on 14-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Entrepreneurs bring energy and ideas that others could never conceive. They have a form of leadership that few are capable of. To diminish the talent of a successful business starter/owner is ridiculous. No a janitor is not an equal. A janitor should however be grateful for the successful and talented business owner who employs them and gives them security. The entrepreneur puts his OWN money on the line, or borrows and pays it back in order to bring his ideas into fruition. Government employees would not have jobs and the ability to be paid without the tax revenue brought in by private enterprise.

Small business is the backbone of the country.

Those who are employed by a business owner should be grateful to the person who hired them. They should be happy to have an opportunity to earn a living under the leadership of one who was willing to take the risk and do the hard work of running a business. Small business owners never get to fully relax, the risk and the reward are both far greater for them than anyone they employ.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Well I could use some help with my bakery but I don't see any politicians coming in to wash pots and pans for me.

Nope...I DO THAT.

Obama..pfffttt...

But the government built the road that brings you supplies, and customers. They built the waterlines you use to bring water effortlessly into your dish pit. Since you live in Canada, they have also paved the way for the settlement that brought farms to your region in the first place, by subsidizing homesteaders and even giving away land.

To deny the benefits you gain from living in a country with a healthy government sponsored infrastructure is the ultimate first world delusion.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Nope...I DO THAT.

Obama..pfffttt...

No but depending on which state you live in they might find some way to fine you for how you are washing those pans.

People just have no clue how business owners are being treated in this country. Government over-reach is at an all time high. They've got to find revenue to pay their ridiculous bills...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Those who are employed by a business owner should be grateful to the person who hired them.

Of course they should. Employers should also be grateful for employees and the delivery people etc. Also, customers.

Someone helped you open a business. Either wealthy parents, or a loan or something. To pretend we are not all connected is foolish.

I do agree that small business owners have it rough right now though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join