It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite units of European countries and other nations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
OK - everyone knows about SF like the US SEALs and D boys, and the SAS ect.

But can anyone tell me of some lesser known elite units from non US countries that are the equal to say the Army Rangers, 82nd and 101st airborn, Marine force recon ect?

Basically, is the US military just that much bigger that we have all of these different elite units, or do other nations have just as many but I don't hear about them.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Heres one lesser known SF the French GIGN. I think they are the French version of something like the SAS.

www.specialoperations.com...

China seems they are a bit late getting into the SF game."the PLA did not possess a dedicated special operations forces (SOFs) until the early 1990s" It seems they were impressed by the capabilities of the U.S. and coalition SOFs during the 1991 Gulf War.

I havent been able to find a name for any of thier teams yet though.

www.sinodefence.com...

[edit on 8-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
In Finland we have special Jaegers
...as along every other jaeger troop they kick ass..

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Bloody hell! the SAS are not supposed to be well known! They only recently (earlier this year) confirmed there existance by having a recruitment drive or something along those lines by placing a number on British Forces web page

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
www.specialoperations.com...

this should help ya out.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
How does Canada's JTF-2 stack up when compared to other special forces?
Here is a link with some good info
www.forces.gc.ca...

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Wask]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by viciouslyannihilated
Bloody hell! the SAS are not supposed to be well known! They only recently (earlier this year) confirmed there existance by having a recruitment drive or something along those lines by placing a number on British Forces web page

So true - the same goes for Delta Force - they still aren't official yet - but everyone knows they exist.

On another note - I'm not trying to get a list of SOF - I am looking for larger units that are elite/ require special training.

Something akin to the US Rangers - elite soldiers, but not quite SF.

I guess Royal Marines would fall into that catagory(?) but I am interested in more obscure countries and their units.

new topics

top topics

join