It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not jobs people want. It's a paycheck!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Where do you live? I have a friend who will take you up on it, provided you live in Montanna near Helena.

CJ

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I see these kinds of posts all the time on this forum and the OPs always infer that workers want a pay check without having to work for it. The OPs and those who are like minded always convienienty say nothing about the amount of corporate welfare that is handed out.

Things like
tax breaks
endless tax deductions
grants for which there is very often no auditing of to ensure that every last cent has been used or given back to the taxpayer.
cheap utilities
favourable treatment by local government authorities for things like use of council facilities free of charge or at a discount.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I think the problem is people don't have a dream job to strive for. We as a society is stuck in a comfort zone where even dream jobs are a hassle. A few years ago, a dream job was something you aspired towards. Now it's just another job, another hassle. It's not strange we're in an economic crisis these days with that kind of mindset floating around in society.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The way a lot of companies are treating workers is anyone surprised? Big business is making more and more in profit on the backs of employees. Employees are now being asked to do not only their job but two others because companies are reducing payroll. Many companies are treating people like livestock and people are getting fed up.

I am not advocating people to become welfare kings and queens but I can acknowledge what is contributing to the fact we are having jobs and labor problems in our country.

The other problem I see is that you just can't get a job anymore receive your pay and go home to your family. Working for many employers comes with all kinds of additional abuse and stress. Many employers are not being upfront with what is expected to perform the job. Many are tricking people into believing they are full time employees only to find out later they were classified as temporary or part time to avoid paying benefits and consistent hours. It's not about trading your skills and time to an employer for set duties and responsibilities anymore.

Personally I believe we have a labor crisis on our hands. Educated and skilled workers are now "being forced" into taking low paid part time jobs. A friend of mine that has a degree in graphic design from a well respected university in the Midwest just accepted a part time job at Staples as a copy center associate after a long job search. That may be good for Staples, but not for my friend that spent 4 years earning a degree to end up working for 50 cents above minimum wage.

I personally believe the solution to this labor problem is for workers to refuse to take low paying jobs. If people want to be paid a living wage for their skills then they need to say no to employers offering low wages. If there are enough people refusing to take low wages then employers will have to reevaluate what they pay their employees.

How do people do this when they are basically a few paychecks from being homeless? I think self employment is the answer there. If you have something valuable to market to an employer, then you should have something of value to offer other people. We also need to be better with our money. Discretionary spending needs to be limited. Every pizza you order, every trip to Best Buy and every 4 dollar coffee from Starbucks further enslaves people to their "job". If people are stuck in a low paying slave job every unneeded purchase further keeps them enslaved.
edit on 15-7-2012 by AssiduousSpook because: no reason

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Update - A couple of days later.

So all in all I took about 30 applicants in the last three days. Here is the breakdown:

I asked for no resumes - about ten sent me resumes.
About five answered my ad with "text speak".
Another five did not spell a couple of words properly in each sentence.
Another ten got a second email from me as they seemed like good possible candidates.

I sent each of the ten people an email saying that I liked what they had to say and that they are serious contendors for the gig. Being as how we get up before dawn I thought I would have all the applicants show up on-site over two days (5 per day). The fail point was that they actually had to be on-site at 5:00am the next day or the day after next. All ten said they would show, none did.

So here I am offering $75.00 for three hours a morning and NO TAKERS! So I stand by my original thread title.

Great freaking gig, the coolest in Northern California and no one was willing to get up at 4:00am to make it happen.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
Update - A couple of days later.

So all in all I took about 30 applicants in the last three days. Here is the breakdown:

I asked for no resumes - about ten sent me resumes.
About five answered my ad with "text speak".
Another five did not spell a couple of words properly in each sentence.
Another ten got a second email from me as they seemed like good possible candidates.

I sent each of the ten people an email saying that I liked what they had to say and that they are serious contendors for the gig. Being as how we get up before dawn I thought I would have all the applicants show up on-site over two days (5 per day). The fail point was that they actually had to be on-site at 5:00am the next day or the day after next. All ten said they would show, none did.

So here I am offering $75.00 for three hours a morning and NO TAKERS! So I stand by my original thread title.

Great freaking gig, the coolest in Northern California and no one was willing to get up at 4:00am to make it happen.

I don't think these people trust you. You sound creepy dude. You are probably turning them off. No real employer responds via e-mail like you did and makes weird demands. Also, why do you care so much about how they write ? The job is a driving job. You do NOT sound legit or real at all. And I'm starting to really dislike you and I'm not even the one looking for a job.

You are very shady.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
My guess is those out of work are unemployment. Any income would disrupt their unemployment, but you don't pay as much as they are getting.

And most people are probably looking for full time jobs.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You got it! I have been asked several times if I would pay under the table so it would not interfere with their unemployment. Like I said in the op, It is not work they want, it is a paycheck. We work from 5:00am to 8:30am on average 3.5 hours a day. With $75.00 in hand It then gives folks the entire day to go make more money!

Tell you what, I have a lot more respect for fast food and retail workers than I used to. They work all day for minimum wage and seldom get a chance to even go out to a better job interview. The real slavery is a minimum wage job that eats your life and gives you little more than a roof (with two roommates) and some crappy cheap food.

When people know they can't rely on unemployment or welfare they have two choices, be industrious, creative and driven to make something on your own, or starve. They seldom choose starving.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I would happily do a labor job, but my bad joints won't let me.

I think they are fun.

I would love to make extra cash mowing yards.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Lol @ mowing yards.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I just think cutting grass if very therapeutic, lol.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Nice some asshat can call me shady but when I respond I get a TnC violation.......

Like this site less and less everyday.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join