It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

theChristianatheist Introduction

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Good day ATS'ers, After following ATS for several years i think it's time i joined the community of truth seekers and questioners as i myself am both.

I look forward to sharing opinions with you and debating on all things alternative.

For your entertainment, Here's a little about me.

As my username suggest i consider myself a Christian Atheist.
I was born and baptized catholic but we never followed the religion or attended church, Then my family converted when i was 10 to Johavas witness' and they did follow....for a short time. When i was 16 i began searching my own faith and in Catholic and Johavas witness i found i wasn't allowed to ask too many questions. As i was only 16 i had a very big problem with just settling for that as fact. I have always been very opinionated and liked to question things around me and consider myself quite a logical person.

On the way back home one day from church i visited a little christian bookstore which had a book titled "The Christian Atheist" with the headline "Believing in God, But living like he doesn't exist" Of course i purchased it straight away and it didn't take me long to read. This book was (i believe) Gods way of telling me that my life my faith my searching is normal. In the church i attended i was allowed to ask questions, and seek truth. We even founded a little group within the church which we dedicated to researching the Bible. This to me felt like the religion i was supposed to be part of.

One of the reasons i joined ATS was because as of late i have been seeing more and more Islam and Christian hate threads and comments coming up. I will not repeat the comments or defend religion for this because in truth there are so many sectors which also make me feel the way i do towards religion. I do ask those people though who think so negatively and hatefully of religion to answer a question. Did you ever feel like i did when i had no faith? Something was missing or you felt something calling to you or even though you strongly stood by your Atheism you still read and watched religious things now and then like a second nature that didn't bother you it ws there?

Read the book. It's written for both parties and carries with it some good truth. Faith has turned my life around and i will never go back. I still Sin, Sometimes i don't go to church and i lie. I do things people do everyday but i know i am forgiven. I live my life more to Gods will now than i ever did and the feelings that i had are no more.

I'm a Christian Atheist. I ask questions and seek truth in my faith, Not to debunk it but to strengthen it. I believe in one creator which allows me to also believe in extra terrestrial life (The Universe is to big for us to be alone) and that something is waiting for me later. I don't believe in ghosts or spirits or demons and i don't like the religious nuts that run around screaming "PRAISE THE LAWWD" and high fiving each other. Anyone who forces a bible down someones throat unwillingly is not acting on Gods behalf. I believe one day people will rule the world again not corporations and i believe it may be soon. I don't believe in the Armageddon or the end of times prophecy. I think if we go it will be because we screwed up not the wrath of god. I believe in miracles but also coincidence. I believe we were given logic and will so we could grow but we are also guided. I dislike the people that blame god for all the problems in their lives, We have the power to change or prevent things and make choices.

I also believe we have a path and my path has led me here to promote faith in the most unusual way.

I ask if you don't believe, please don't comment any hateful opinions. If my words got through to you in any way or you would like to ask a question please do.

Thank you ATS'ers. That's my introduction.




posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by theChristianatheist
 


so you believe what you want because your to afraid to live with what might be reality..

Its not really something to be ashamed of... all children go through stages like this. I can only hope someday youll mature and grow out of it.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by theChristianatheist
 


so you believe what you want because your to afraid to live with what might be reality..

Its not really something to be ashamed of... all children go through stages like this. I can only hope someday youll mature and grow out of it.


Thank you for the warm welcome. Children also never listen or do as they're told and/or asked, I hope that is something you can grow out of.

As stated in my post, Please don't post any hate here.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by theChristianatheist
Did you ever feel like i did when i had no faith? Something was missing or you felt something calling to you or even though you strongly stood by your Atheism you still read and watched religious things now and then like a second nature that didn't bother you it ws there?


Absolutely..NOT.

As a non believer (Athiest is a label) I am free to follow my own mind.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by theChristianatheist
Did you ever feel like i did when i had no faith? Something was missing or you felt something calling to you or even though you strongly stood by your Atheism you still read and watched religious things now and then like a second nature that didn't bother you it ws there?


Absolutely..NOT.

As a non believer (Athiest is a label) I am free to follow my own mind.


That's awesome VoidHawk, I am glad you've found your place with faith/none faith. Life is always easier and better when people know where they stand. Thank you for posting.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've never been both at the same time, but I have been both in different stages, which gives me an insight into both viewpoints.
The exact sequence was Nominal-Christian/-Atheist/-Christian.
(I did a thread on the subject in the Theology forum)
I hope you'll continue exploring, but you'll find on this site a lot of fierce sniping between the two groups.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by theChristianatheist
 


I believe in one creator.


Not bashing you. I'm just going to suggest that you don't actually believe in a creator (a god). What you call belief is nothing more than being conditioned to accept this idea from others. Someone - or many someones - told you about a god. They either told you outright, or you overheard them talking about a god. So, as you grew, you had no choice but to accept that the belief in some kind of god is valid.

Little story for ya:

In another life you were brought up in a small tribe where, once a year, men competed with each other to see who would be the first one to find tiger poop and bring it back to the tribe. Your parents talked about it all of your life. Your father would pat you on the head and say, "You are going to be an awesome tiger poop catcher when you grow up."

Each year you witness the winner of the tiger poop contest being praised and bestowed with gifts. Songs are written about great tiger poop catchers of the past. Also, you see how the losers are shamed and humiliated.

When you turned 16 you entered your first tiger poop contest. You've been training hard all of your life for this. You are so ready! You run like the wind and find a nice fresh batch of tiger poop. You race back to the tribe, only to find that someone has already won.

You are feeling miserable and go off to be alone for a while. I'm not from your tribe, but I see you and ask you what's wrong. You explain what happened.

I say, "DUDE! You're chasing after TIGER POOP!"

And yet, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of the tiger poop contest. You can't understand because you were brought up to believe that this contest is thee most important thing on earth. You can't mentally step away to see how ridiculous it is.

So, even though you don't adhere to any given religion, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of it when I say, "DUDE! You're believing in an all-knowing, all-powerful, invisible being who created the WHOLE universe and creates miracles and lives in another dimension called heaven!"



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
I've never been both at the same time, but I have been both in different stages, which gives me an insight into both viewpoints.
The exact sequence was Nominal-Christian/-Atheist/-Christian.
(I did a thread on the subject in the Theology forum)
I hope you'll continue exploring, but you'll find on this site a lot of fierce sniping between the two groups.


Thank you DISRAELI, I'd love to read your thread. I can imagine the type of comments that came with it too.
Also thanks for the advice, I'll try to stay neutral but i imagine even then something will be said that there was no need for. Like i said before I've been an ATS observer for some time, It's really changed from a debate and opinionated board to a troll dungeon over time.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   


Two of my favorite groups to debate with combined into one?!?!

Oh i can't wait... Have a flag!

talk to ya soon im sure


edit on 14-7-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by theChristianatheist
 


I believe in one creator.


Not bashing you. I'm just going to suggest that you don't actually believe in a creator (a god). What you call belief is nothing more than being conditioned to accept this idea from others. Someone - or many someones - told you about a god. They either told you outright, or you overheard them talking about a god. So, as you grew, you had no choice but to accept that the belief in some kind of god is valid.

Little story for ya:

In another life you were brought up in a small tribe where, once a year, men competed with each other to see who would be the first one to find tiger poop and bring it back to the tribe. Your parents talked about it all of your life. Your father would pat you on the head and say, "You are going to be an awesome tiger poop catcher when you grow up."

Each year you witness the winner of the tiger poop contest being praised and bestowed with gifts. Songs are written about great tiger poop catchers of the past. Also, you see how the losers are shamed and humiliated.

When you turned 16 you entered your first tiger poop contest. You've been training hard all of your life for this. You are so ready! You run like the wind and find a nice fresh batch of tiger poop. You race back to the tribe, only to find that someone has already won.

You are feeling miserable and go off to be alone for a while. I'm not from your tribe, but I see you and ask you what's wrong. You explain what happened.

I say, "DUDE! You're chasing after TIGER POOP!"

And yet, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of the tiger poop contest. You can't understand because you were brought up to believe that this contest is thee most important thing on earth. You can't mentally step away to see how ridiculous it is.

So, even though you don't adhere to any given religion, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of it when I say, "DUDE! You're believing in an all-knowing, all-powerful, invisible being who created the WHOLE universe and creates miracles and lives in another dimension called heaven!"


Jigger, That was seriously the best thing I've read on the internet for a long time. Even if it was sarcasm/subliminally insulting or sincere, You really put a good smile on my face.

It's a great story and a great way of looking at things and it some ways is perfectly acceptable as truth to some.

Quick question if you don't mind Jigger, If we don't look at this as a creator let's say all life is is waves affecting waves then where and what would the prime mover of those waves be classed as? There has to be a source for everything. My journey has been to find/know that source. Be it creator or prime mover. This is where i am so far on my journey but i know it's not over yet. I really enjoyed your outlook and the different view you gave me. Thank you.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by theChristianatheist

Thank you DISRAELI, I'd love to read your thread.

How an atheist became a Christian



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon


Two of my favorite groups to debate with combined into one?!?!

Oh i can't wait... Have a flag!

talk to ya soon im sure


edit on 14-7-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)


Looking forward to it Akragon, Feel free to message or post and have a good debate



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by theChristianatheist

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by theChristianatheist
 


I believe in one creator.


Not bashing you. I'm just going to suggest that you don't actually believe in a creator (a god). What you call belief is nothing more than being conditioned to accept this idea from others. Someone - or many someones - told you about a god. They either told you outright, or you overheard them talking about a god. So, as you grew, you had no choice but to accept that the belief in some kind of god is valid.

Little story for ya:

In another life you were brought up in a small tribe where, once a year, men competed with each other to see who would be the first one to find tiger poop and bring it back to the tribe. Your parents talked about it all of your life. Your father would pat you on the head and say, "You are going to be an awesome tiger poop catcher when you grow up."

Each year you witness the winner of the tiger poop contest being praised and bestowed with gifts. Songs are written about great tiger poop catchers of the past. Also, you see how the losers are shamed and humiliated.

When you turned 16 you entered your first tiger poop contest. You've been training hard all of your life for this. You are so ready! You run like the wind and find a nice fresh batch of tiger poop. You race back to the tribe, only to find that someone has already won.

You are feeling miserable and go off to be alone for a while. I'm not from your tribe, but I see you and ask you what's wrong. You explain what happened.

I say, "DUDE! You're chasing after TIGER POOP!"

And yet, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of the tiger poop contest. You can't understand because you were brought up to believe that this contest is thee most important thing on earth. You can't mentally step away to see how ridiculous it is.

So, even though you don't adhere to any given religion, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of it when I say, "DUDE! You're believing in an all-knowing, all-powerful, invisible being who created the WHOLE universe and creates miracles and lives in another dimension called heaven!"


Jigger, That was seriously the best thing I've read on the internet for a long time. Even if it was sarcasm/subliminally insulting or sincere, You really put a good smile on my face.

It's a great story and a great way of looking at things and it some ways is perfectly acceptable as truth to some.

Quick question if you don't mind Jigger, If we don't look at this as a creator let's say all life is is waves affecting waves then where and what would the prime mover of those waves be classed as? There has to be a source for everything. My journey has been to find/know that source. Be it creator or prime mover. This is where i am so far on my journey but i know it's not over yet. I really enjoyed your outlook and the different view you gave me. Thank you.


No sarcasm at all in the story. I actually enjoyed writing it.



If we don't look at this as a creator let's say all life is is waves affecting waves then where and what would the prime mover of those waves be classed as?


The answer is: I don't know. And I find this answer much more soothing than to think, If we can't figure out how life started, well then there must be a god. At this time the absolute best we can do is look at everything in the universe and see that everything (EVERYTHING) has a beginning and an end. How could it possibly be logical to even assume that something exists that was never born and will never die?

And yet, I'm not saying there isn't some form of a god. All I'm saying is that there is simply no evidence in the entire universe to substantiate this claim.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Originally posted by theChristianatheist

Thank you DISRAELI, I'd love to read your thread.

How an atheist became a Christian


Mind blowing.

Your story sounds allot like my transition Disraeli. Catholic background, Prayers in school. Not ever enforcing strict religious values but no trouble forcing a bible down your throat and making you listen to preachers and going to mass to hear droning of people singing with the same thing again and again. I think that's why i became a Christian.

I remember moving overseas where i am still currently located now which is mostly Islamic but it was here i found God. I visited a Christian Church with my girlfriend and instead of the expected i was greeting with a preacher wearing a t-shirt and jeans on stage making jokes and hearing laughter, Drinking coffee and eating snacks while surrounded by people smiling and generally happy. I first spoke to the pastor and told him a little about myself and my journey and i remember the words he said to me inspired me and do to this day. He said
"If questions give you faith, why would god be against you asking? To question something is natural and has to be a part of faith, We are made this way and find it hard to accept something someone has told us. We live in a world where If someone said "god exists the bible is his words" then you would believe, but if someone said "don't touch the walls the paint is wet" you would touch it to be sure. We have to question everything and get answers to reinforce, why would faith be any different?"

I've gone to that same Church for 3 years now and never looked back. I found my faith there, I was re-baptized there and that's where this journey has brought me so far.

Your story is also as inspiring as my pastors words. Thank you Disraeli



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by theChristianatheist

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by theChristianatheist
 


I believe in one creator.


Not bashing you. I'm just going to suggest that you don't actually believe in a creator (a god). What you call belief is nothing more than being conditioned to accept this idea from others. Someone - or many someones - told you about a god. They either told you outright, or you overheard them talking about a god. So, as you grew, you had no choice but to accept that the belief in some kind of god is valid.

Little story for ya:

In another life you were brought up in a small tribe where, once a year, men competed with each other to see who would be the first one to find tiger poop and bring it back to the tribe. Your parents talked about it all of your life. Your father would pat you on the head and say, "You are going to be an awesome tiger poop catcher when you grow up."

Each year you witness the winner of the tiger poop contest being praised and bestowed with gifts. Songs are written about great tiger poop catchers of the past. Also, you see how the losers are shamed and humiliated.

When you turned 16 you entered your first tiger poop contest. You've been training hard all of your life for this. You are so ready! You run like the wind and find a nice fresh batch of tiger poop. You race back to the tribe, only to find that someone has already won.

You are feeling miserable and go off to be alone for a while. I'm not from your tribe, but I see you and ask you what's wrong. You explain what happened.

I say, "DUDE! You're chasing after TIGER POOP!"

And yet, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of the tiger poop contest. You can't understand because you were brought up to believe that this contest is thee most important thing on earth. You can't mentally step away to see how ridiculous it is.

So, even though you don't adhere to any given religion, you won't understand how my statement reflects the absurdity of it when I say, "DUDE! You're believing in an all-knowing, all-powerful, invisible being who created the WHOLE universe and creates miracles and lives in another dimension called heaven!"


Jigger, That was seriously the best thing I've read on the internet for a long time. Even if it was sarcasm/subliminally insulting or sincere, You really put a good smile on my face.

It's a great story and a great way of looking at things and it some ways is perfectly acceptable as truth to some.

Quick question if you don't mind Jigger, If we don't look at this as a creator let's say all life is is waves affecting waves then where and what would the prime mover of those waves be classed as? There has to be a source for everything. My journey has been to find/know that source. Be it creator or prime mover. This is where i am so far on my journey but i know it's not over yet. I really enjoyed your outlook and the different view you gave me. Thank you.


No sarcasm at all in the story. I actually enjoyed writing it.



If we don't look at this as a creator let's say all life is is waves affecting waves then where and what would the prime mover of those waves be classed as?


The answer is: I don't know. And I find this answer much more soothing than to think, If we can't figure out how life started, well then there must be a god. At this time the absolute best we can do is look at everything in the universe and see that everything (EVERYTHING) has a beginning and an end. How could it possibly be logical to even assume that something exists that was never born and will never die?

And yet, I'm not saying there isn't some form of a god. All I'm saying is that there is simply no evidence in the entire universe to substantiate this claim.


Too many inconsistencies with today's religions, to many re-written words and meanings. To many hidden verses that talks about Alien life, how everything began, where everything is going. Maybe their is evidence we just haven't been allowed to see it or maybe their isn't and life is just chance.

It drives you insane to think the answers could be out there but we may never find them. I will say this though Jigger, In my opinion. If the bible was only written as a means of discipline and order and actually no god exists then i think the values it holds and gives in today's modern information age are great values to live by. We need to remove the medieval rules and modernize it. But i think the Christian bible would be a good tool to base law upon. If not and it's all true then it will be changed eventually.

I think me and you will have some interesting debates in the near future. I look forward to them.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by theChristianatheist
If the bible was only written as a means of discipline and order and actually no god exists then i think the values it holds and gives in today's modern information age are great values to live by.


Do you really need a bible to know that killing is wrong? Stealing? Taking another man's wife?

If you think about it, the good things in the bible are common sense. It's the bad things in the bible we don't need. Honor thy mother and thy father is great as long someone's father isn't a violent, abusive drunk, and the mother a drug addicted whore. Wouldn't common sense suggest respecting those that have earned it, no matter what relationship they are to you?

Love thy neighbor. Turn the other cheek.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
the C and the A word in one in hit ,

ughhh



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
revelation 18 "for she says in her heart i sit a queen and am no widow , and i shall not suffer the loss of children..

"

therefore who invented the moral law was not anyone currently or beforetimes presupposing to own the rights thereto .

the moral law and categorical punishment is hereby stated . futurism users being neither or



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by theChristianatheist
If the bible was only written as a means of discipline and order and actually no god exists then i think the values it holds and gives in today's modern information age are great values to live by.


Do you really need a bible to know that killing is wrong? Stealing? Taking another man's wife?

If you think about it, the good things in the bible are common sense. It's the bad things in the bible we don't need. Honor thy mother and thy father is great as long someone's father isn't a violent, abusive drunk, and the mother a drug addicted whore. Wouldn't common sense suggest respecting those that have earned it, no matter what relationship they are to you?

Love thy neighbor. Turn the other cheek.



posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
revelation 18 "for she says in her heart i sit a queen and am no widow , and i shall not suffer the loss of children..

"

therefore who invented the moral law was not anyone currently or beforetimes presupposing to own the rights thereto .

the moral law and categorical punishment is hereby stated . futurism users being neither or


Revelations 18 Verse ?? In which Bible?




top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join