It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Draft Our Kids?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

I don't think I'm any better than you.

But please dont pretend that you hold some kind of moral superiority. You dont.

Also I haven't said anything to allude to my experience. Nor have I made any claims. I am simply stating, depite your need to insult, that your assumptions are erroneous.

In fact you have no clue what you're talking about.
edit on 14-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by watchitburn

Yeah but a lot of them sign up thinking it's gonna be Call of Duty and Medal Of Honor. They didn't bother learning the attention to detail part of the whole deal.

Recently in the uk a soldier was sent home in a box. We had the usual "What a hero he was" nonsense splashed all over the tv. On the tv news the reporter asked somebody in the street-
"What makes these fine boys of ours become so heroic?"
The plant in the street said-
"They've all played Medal Of Honor and Call of duty, they know what it takes to be a man and serve their country"

and then people ignorantly claim
those simulators/desensitizers are harmless

never mind that DOOM and the like were originally used by the military

the purpose of the draft if comes to pass
is to destroy and kill off more of the younger generations

just another form of human sacrifice
like the florid wars of ancient meso-america
or the canaanites sacrificing their children to mammon and moloch

killing off their future in order to enjoy prosperity NOW

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I would argue those standards do not apply to all job positions. Does a soldier sitting in Las Vegas Nevada playing shoot the Paki with a UAV from a satellite need to meet these "standards"?

Does the person filing papers in the personnel department have to be able to pull a person out of a burning Hummv?

Hell the majority of the pukes working at NORAD are non comm REMF POG'S. Send them into battle and replace them with disabled people with college degrees.

You would seriously rather draft liberal college kids who are completely unwilling instead of the turned away 75% who are very eager and anxious to enlist?

That makes perfect sense.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I don't think I'm any better than you.

But please dont pretend that you hold some kind of moral superiority. You dont.

LOL
your previous post
and your quick comeback
tell another story

tell it to the marines

i'm not the one pretending here

good night and pleasant dreams

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DirectDemocracy

Those liberal college kids are a bunch of Bradley Mannings, waiting to happen. Every soldier and airman and Marine has to go through basic. If they can't learn basic soldiering skills then they can't really be soldiers. I do not want draft as previously stated. I want the military to stay all volunteer.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

My previous post was to let you know that although I knew you would retort with some high and mighty moralist BS that you are, in fact, generalizing and assuming to know more than you actually do.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I am afraid we disagree with Bradley Manning. That guy has more balls than many Medal of honor winners. I consider his acts more patriotic than jumping on a grenade or taking a bullet for the president. You go against your country, your leadership, your brothers and sisters when you know in your heart that it is the right thing to do. That takes more courage then I could ever muster. He didn't do it for profit, or for fame, or for power. He did it for truth. The truth.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
It's a bit ironic, but government aid creates ailments within systems; it manipulates markets. It comes down to supply and demand; if nobody can afford to pay 40-50 grand a year to attend college, the price of tuition will drop. When the government, however, lends out "aid," institutions realize that they can charge obnoxious prices and see them met, and thus bubbles form.

Basically, without government aid things would be much cheaper because markets would adjust their prices or go out of business.

ETA:

I don't think a draft would go over too well, especially in our society where kids stay sheltered until their mid twenties by their parents.
edit on 15-7-2012 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"Lets Draft Our Kids"

Lets not

who comes up with these ideas? how do they even get hired?
edit on 15-7-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Starship troopers, here we come. You wanna be a citizen, buy your way in or serve in the military.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
2 pages of comments and the single most startling thing in the entire article hasn't even been mentioned? (Yeah, slightly off topic, but certainly on topic in regards to the OP being based off the same article I'm quoting from...)

Imagine how many local parks could be cleaned and how much could be saved if a few hundred New York City school custodians were 19, energetic and making $15,000 plus room and board, instead of 50, tired and making $106,329, the top base salary for the city’s public school custodians, before overtime.

NYC pays senior janitors $106,000 a year in base salary!?!?

Jesus Christ that is an assinine amount of money to pay any public service worker, let alone a janitor...ERRRR custodian. And people have the grapefruits to question why some of us say public worker unions are largely to blame for all the government fiscal disasters we're seeing materialize in front of us? It takes a large set to look at any laborer making 6 figures of tax payer dollars for working 5-8s and not identify a serious disconnect there.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

It's similar to the Israeli system however at some point IDF veterans get shafted and the buck stops as the veterans like up like the rest of us civilians looking for jobs to put a roof over our heads and decent food in our mouths!

Politicians can NOT be trusted, least of all those in the White House including those yet to come in the future because their hands are also tied - they too will have their masters to tell Presidents what to do.....or else!

I think you'll find a majority of people WOULD fight for their nation....but not a rich man's war that includes invading another nation for it's natural resources, gold and cash. Fighting for their nations means ON HOME SOIL !
edit on 15-7-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I'm trying to figure the youtube thing out but it should show:
www.youtube.com... - 2008

This is also related, and it's most impressive because MSNBC ran the story.

www.youtube.com...

I remember when Obama uttered the words "mandatory drafting of 18-25 year olds during summer vacation" many years ago. It sends shivers down my spine.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Im confused by this draft thing maybe someone can explain it to me.

i moved to the states and became a citizen.
Now when i remember registering to vote(when i got my drivers license) and thinking if i want to vote then i have to sign this paper that says i'll be eligible for a service(i assume draft?) does that mean if i didn't register i would not be included in a draft

Side note i hope there won't be a draft. there are plenty of volunteers who join up to the military to take part in oppression.
the last war for freedom was WW2 everything since then all war has been about is money, money and ensuring imperial control.
Why would i want to be apart of that?
edit on 15-7-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Why only libertarians?

And why bother with a draft?

All war is futile. It's a short-term "fix" to a problem that humanity as a collective, wishes to face in a rational manner.
edit on 15-7-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
simply put people this is a draft:

your government tells you, no FORCES you to go kill other people, or you go to jail or something.

its just so wrong.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Anyone who has been in the military knows a draft would be very counter productive and not only that- dangerous.

Too many variables.

They want their troops and soldiers fit and mentally capable of handling certain duties. Not everyone is capable.

When I was in Basic for the Marines- we started off with 90+ people. I graduated with less than 40.

Not everyone is capable of military service, and to force people to do so is irresponsible and unconstitutional.
Cant even MAKE people do CIVIC DUTIES- like the article explains.

Then when people want out- they do whatever they can to get out- then their entire future after that is at risk.
Its very hard for a service member to make it once they get out of the service with anything other than an "Honorable Discharge".

Forcing people to do ANYTHING- goes against everything our constitution stands for.

edit on 15-7-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea. I was 18 in 1968 -- most of the protest against the war was driven by people who were eligible to be drafted. The protests brought an end to the war. Fast forward to Bush's invasion of Iraq -- where was the meaningful protest -- crickets. The country had nothing up for stake the the idiot in charge lowered taxes.

When we go to war if the conflict is not ended with in 90 days -- two things need to happen 1) the draft needs to recommence 2) Taxes need to be increased. War needs to cost the citizens otherwise they don't have a dog in the fight and they don't really care. We end up having wars that last decades.

The draft isn't so bad for everyone Romney spent the time in Paris being a missionary, and when he came back he protested against the war protesters.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Just wondering (since we've had similar debates here), but isn't it unfair to only draft kids, and refuse social and medical services to those kids who opt out, as if they are suddenly undeserving leaches?

What about all those older people who never enlisted or had a draft since 1973, and they potentially enjoyed full social and medical benefits?
Aren't they also then undeserving leaches?
Why should they get away with it since 1973, but not this generation of kids?

Wouldn't it be more fair to draft them first (all those who haven't enlisted before), to pay for what they already got?
A kind of "pa" and "grandpa" army to free up jobs for the youngsters?

If I was a kid and put before that option, when at least two generations before me (since 1973) got a totally free ride concerning the choice of military service in exchange for basic benefits, it would make me feel extremely bitter about having this imposed, probably by a generation that wouldn't have stood for it either.
edit on 15-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

As others in the thread have pointed out, it's very Robert Heinlein "Service equals citizenship" in action. That said, why should we only be an Orwellian dystopia? There's plenty of room for us to embrace policies that transform us into a Frankenstein's monster of dystopias, incorporating elements of Heinlein, Orwell, Rand, and, dare I say it now that we've allowed Obamacare to take hold, Nolan and Johnson.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join