It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Draft Our Kids?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I find this pretty shocking because it's an article in the NY Times. It's an opinion piece, but it's still pretty shocking to find it there.

Original Article

And libertarians who object to a draft could opt out. Those who declined to help Uncle Sam would in return pledge to ask nothing from him — no Medicare, no subsidized college loans and no mortgage guarantees. Those who want minimal government can have it.

If they also agree that my taxes won't go to fund any of these things and that my tax rate will reflect this, then I'll be happy to oblige them.

But that's the trick in all of this: more and more it seems as though we must submit to these sorts of things or be punished by crippling fines, social stigma, or prison time.

For my own self, if I was drafted, I would turn myself over to enemy forces and cooperate with any and all questioning, doing my dead level best to be the best informant I could possible be.

Conscription = slavery, and as a slave, I owe allegiance to nobody but myself. With attitudes like these being published in national papers, it might be time to start thinking about just how much allegiance we really want to be paying in the name of a country with ideals that our leaders don't believe in anymore.
edit on 14-7-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
For my own self, if I was drafted, I would turn myself over to enemy forces and cooperate with any and all questioning, doing my dead level best to be the best informant I could possible be.

ooooh I hope your ready to have your arse ripped off

But I agree, If I was drafted I'd make sure I was of no use whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I see some problems already- They say these soldiers would not be deployed BUT unfortunately this is not true. There are stories of soldiers who were originally tasked to perform non-combat duties but soon found themselves in some of the hottest battle zones, and were told that they would be stop-lossed... Many stories like this.

Also it's unfair- No reason to deny anyone medicare or any of the entitlements listed since if they do pay income tax and other taxes they should be entitled to these government programs that they paid for with their taxes.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

Holy hell. For some reason just hearing somebody say this is shocking in a spine-tingling way. Regardless, it is good for my soul to hear somebody utter them.

As long as we live in a representative "democracy", we will not be actually represented as individuals. This means we should never be called against our wills to represent our nation as individuals.

Thanks for the shock.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I agree with some of your talking points, but the above quote is asinine as hell...

Everyone serving is deserving of that..? Why don't you just eat a round and be done with it; or like most others who can't just leave the planet on their own, they need to take a few people with them..?

Weak sauce...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think the people on the top of the draft list should be the congressmen that vote for war. If they really believe that strongly that we should go to war, they should have no complaints about serving. Second on the list should be the offspring of congressmen and the president. If they are willing to sacrifice other people's children, they should be willing to sacrifice their own.

And they should have to serve on the front lines. No non-combat duty.
edit on 14-7-2012 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thanks but no thanks. The soldiers I serve with WANT to be there. I dont want people who HAVE TO be there. A volunteer is a far more motivated and dedicated soldier than any draftee could ever be. And the audacious notion that this article proposes, that the fruits of citizenship would only be given to those who serve is counter the principles we joined to protect in the first place.

I find the article and its writer offensive and utterly out of touch. Not just with the military but with America as a whole.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

And this right here is exactly why I don't want draftees.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
Why don't you just eat a round and be done with it; or like most others who can't just leave the planet on their own, they need to take a few people with them..?

Weak sauce...

you shouldn't use such strong words
they make you sound weak

why not make the leaders who'd vote for a draft eat a round?
but naw you won't you'd eat one 1st in the service of these blood thirsty psychopaths
that get off on torturing and murdering women and children

Originally posted by projectvxn
Thanks but no thanks. The soldiers I serve with WANT to be there. I dont want people who HAVE TO be there. A volunteer is a far more motivated and dedicated soldier than any draftee could ever be. And the audacious notion that this article proposes, that the fruits of citizenship would only be given to those who serve is counter the principles we joined to protect in the first place.

I find the article and its writer offensive and utterly out of touch. Not just with the military but with America as a whole.

i'm 100% with you on that
great way to cull the most violent elements of society

edit on 14-7-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

Why not just vote for those that do not favor a draft..? As to the rest of your fodder, you're a tool to generalize so loosely, but I have a feeling you already knew that.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The draft was a terrible idea in the 60s and it is still a terrible idea now.
I for one do not want to work with someone who does not want to be there. We have more than enough people in the military as it is.

With that being said though, it pisses me off when people start crying about the stop loss crap. If those idiots would have taken the time to read their contract instead of just blindly signing stuff. They would have read the part where it says 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive reserve. They signed the contract stop crying about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Yeah every morning i get up and I think about all the women and children who look just like my wife and nieces and how I'd love to murder all of them.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yeah but a lot of them sign up thinking it's gonna be Call of Duty and Medal Of Honor. They didn't bother learning the attention to detail part of the whole deal.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Yeah every morning i get up and I think about all the women and children who look just like my wife and nieces and how I'd love to murder all of them.

it's been known to happen
pray it doesn't happen to you

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Why not just vote for those that do not favor a draft..? As to the rest of your fodder, you're a tool to generalize so loosely, but I have a feeling you already knew that.

naw,
a tool is somebody who defends that trash
and the system you seek to justify
need i say more?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I can't make you understand. Mostly because you've already made up your mind on the matter. But I'll say it anyway. People who do those things go to jail when they are caught. They are criminals. And like criminals in any society, they are the abberant minority.
edit on 14-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

reply to post by watchitburn

Yeah but a lot of them sign up thinking it's gonna be Call of Duty and Medal Of Honor. They didn't bother learning the attention to detail part of the whole deal.

Recently in the uk a soldier was sent home in a box. We had the usual "What a hero he was" nonsense splashed all over the tv. On the tv news the reporter asked somebody in the street-
"What makes these fine boys of ours become so heroic?"
The plant in the street said-
"They've all played Medal Of Honor and Call of duty, they know what it takes to be a man and serve their country"

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
How about rather than drafting those with no interest in joining, we instead recruit those who have a very strong interest but were turned away from MEPS for trivial issues such as juvenile records, minor health issues or lack of education. Up to 75% of all people who apply to the military are turned away. I am sure we could use a good 25% of those to fill our quotas and have no need for a draft.

Giving rifles to soldiers who have no desire to use this is nonsensical. In my opinion it is one of the number one reasons that there was such little support for the war in Vietnam. I would rather NOT see our soldiers getting bags of dog poop thrown on them spit on and called baby killers because their liberal college friends were forced to fight and die in a military they desired to take no part in.

War is not for everyone but those that desire to serve in the military should not be shown the door. Surely there is some role, some niche they could fill. There are many brilliant handicapped people we could use to sit behind computers stateside and file records or type letters. I am sure there are many uneducated individuals who would enjoy the opportunity to learn how to repair an engine and learn a trade.

I fail to see why our military is so prejudice against fellow human beings rather than finding a niche and a role for them to fill. It reminds me of the mighty Leonidas who turned away Ephialtes who begged to honorably serve and fight. Leonidas could have told him to stand in the back and toss spears but instead his pride caused him to perish after Ephialtes went to the other side to ask to fight with them and led the Persians through the goat path.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

you couldn't be more wrong
i understand perfectly
you are a soldier
some one who kills for pay
don't get butt hurt with me
because i refuse to share your delusions of being special

as you and others point out too many people
but have no idea what the stakes involved are
or have any real experience with violence
other than arrested-adolescent fantasies from TV or video games
these are the ones who wind up losing their sheeiit and do that kind of stuff

you haven't lost you're poop because you either
enjoy your work
or have had no real close up and personal experience
or you're just talk
if i missed any possibilities feel free to point that out
you seem to be [judging by your posts] intelligent
but...

so please,
when you have the experience of ripping out a chunk of flesh
out of your own father [a violent murderous sociopath]
in order to get him to stop strangling your grandma
we can talk as warrior to warrior

so until you've experianced the levels of violence i have in the
1st 2 decades of my life and properly Passed through the Flames
i'll leave you to your self important blustering

yours truly,

DerepentLEstranger,
Survivor of the 20th century

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DirectDemocracy

The military is not all-inclusive nor should it be.There are standards and if you can't meet those standards then you shouldn't be in the military.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join