It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUCH my back!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hello all,

Not been around recently for a number of issues but I'll save that story for another day. Unfortunately, I've found myself in a position of late where I've had to take time off work following a back injury; I lifted a coffee table probably weighing no more than 2Kg and basically fell to the floor in agony, fighting back tears.

I'm currently undergoing physio, I've been to the doctors 3 times now and also sought independent advice. Getting a bit sick of being immobile if Im completely honest.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread wasn't for me to vent my frustration - enough of my family have already felt that anger.

Through my own research and self opinion, I seriously believe a lot of my lower back issues come from my posture. Now bear in mind that I'm only young in comparison to the majority of members on here and I'll happily admit that "Posture at work" reports I receive on a monthly basis through H&S briefings are something I've never taken any notice too.

Just a quick note really to say, whatever your age, have a look at your posture and if it can be improved, then do so ASAP. If I can get this being nearly mid 20's then anyone can...

Peace,

DK

edit on 14/7/12 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

JAK

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You might find it interesting to take a peek at the Alexander technique

Alexander was a Shakespearean orator who developed voice loss during his performances. After doctors of the era informed him they could find no physical cause, Alexander reasoned that he was doing something to himself while speaking to cause his problem. His self-observation in multiple mirrors revealed that he was contracting his whole body prior to phonation in preparation for all verbal response. He developed the hypothesis that this habitual pattern of pulling the head backwards and downwards needlessly disrupted the normal working of the total postural, breathing and vocal mechanisms. After experimenting to develop his ability to stop the unnecessary and habitual contracting in his neck, he found that his problem with recurrent voice loss was resolved. While on a recital tour in New Zealand (1895) he began to realise the wider significance of head carriage for overall physical functioning.[citation needed] Further, Alexander observed that many individuals commonly tightened the musculature of the upper torso as he had done, in anticipation of many other activities besides speech.

Alexander believed his work could be applied to improve individual health and well being. He further refined his technique of self-observation and re-training to teach his discoveries to others. He explained his reasoning in four books published in 1918, 1923, 1931 (1932 in the UK) and 1942. He also trained teachers to teach his work from 1930 until his death in 1955. Teacher training was interrupted during World War II between 1941 and 1943, when Alexander accompanied children and teachers of the Little School to Stow, Massachusetts to join his brother. A.R. Alexander also taught his brother's technique.

Famous people who have studied the Alexander Technique include writers Aldous Huxley, Robertson Davies and Roald Dahl, playwright George Bernard Shaw, actors Judy Dench, Hilary Swank, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Jeremy Irons, John Cleese, Kevin Kline, William Hurt, Jamie Lee Curtis, Paul Newman, Mary Steenburgen, Robin Williams and Patti Lupone, musicians Paul McCartney, Madonna, Yehudi Menuhin and Sting, and Nobel Prize winner for medicine and physiology Nikolaas Tinbergen

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Believe it or not, I was actually reading about it earlier this evening. Seems very interesting, I'll take a look at that link, thanks JAK

join