It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costa Rica's Massive Ancient Star Chart?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+62 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

They are Back!

Hello again.

I haven't written a Ancient and Lost Civilization thread in a while and I thought I'd toss out some more speculation and theories about an Idea I've entertained for many years. I was surfing through some of the older threads here at ATS and came across this jewel of a thread titled, Mysterious Stone Spheres of Costa Rica and a US Agent. Written by our very own Kandinsky.

It's a fascinating read, Well worth the time to take a gander. ATS Member Chamberf=6 and I were thinking along the same lines...

I had never heard of these before and I am quite intrigued. Wow. I wonder if these were meant to represent constellations and/or planets laid out (in their original locations) in a sort of star map on the ground?

This recently sent me on a search for the latest information regarding these strange and enigmatic ancient creations that have fascinated me ever since I first read about them in an old beautifully illustrated book at my local library between little league seasons. I came across this little recent tidbit

New find of mysterious stone spheres in Costa Rica

Workers digging a secondary drainage canal for a banana plantation in Costa Rica’s Osa canton discovered what is just the latest in series of stone spheres that raise more questions than they answer for archaeologists.

Locally the stone spheres are known as Las Bolas. Over the years just over three hundred of them have been discovered across the Diqius Delta and on Isla del Cano in Costa Rica. The stone spheres range in size from just a few inches to over six and a half feet in diameter. Some of them weigh as much as fifteen tons. This latest Las Bolas artifact measures fifty-five centimeters in diameter.

Work on the drainage canal stopped immediately when the sphere was found and workers called the National Museum. The sphere is already being prepped for safe shipment back to the museum in San Jose. Along with the Las Bolas the remains of pre-Columbian pottery and tools were discovered at the site, a former rice field, which has never before been excavated.

It's good to know that they are still discovering these stone balls. I question, should the star/constellation pattern theory be looked at a bit more seriously? This then raises the question as to what were their original purposes. Over the centuries I'm sure those preceding us have asked the same questions as to who and why. Not only have many been moved to museums and private collections from their original spot in the relatively modern era, there is not telling how many in Pre-Columbian periods have been moved as well.

Were they originally meant to represent star constellations? The various sizes could represent star brightness. The larger ones are brighter stars and the lesser ones smaller ones and so on etc. The locations could represent star patterns important to them [For whatever reason] which to our modern view of constellation may not be the same. Now there is an interesting idea.

Astronomical Devices

Ironically, while the sphere seems a natural choice in astronomical observations, it is probably also the least likely use of these balls.

It is important to remember where these balls were made and deployed. This is a region of dense tropical rain forests. Placing a large number of spheres in an astrological alignment, presumes that you can view this alignment. In most cases, that would be prohibitive, unless there were large tracks of cleared lands in this region 1,000 years ago. It is not impossible, just very improbable.

Dr. Tim McGuinness
Florida USA
1999-2007

That sounds pretty definitive but it's an educated guess. This is why in my opinion that these new discoveries are so important. GPS readings should be taken of all known balls that are still in their original locations for comparison.

This theory/idea was looked at and considered by some but with the wrong objective in my opinion. That was for they representing "Astronomical Devices" The deal with that is that most of the time they are looking for specific alignments rather than an overall Earthly reflection of a night sky view of the heavens possibly spread out over vast areas of the region for reasons still unknown.

I believe the evidence [albeit circumstantial] is starting to build that there was more to the sizes and locations of these mysterious stone balls which we just needed to find the primer. Some feel that we may have already.

One investigator noted that the images carved on one ancient sphere corresponded to a star chart of constellations

Star chart showing exact constellation believed to be depicted on the stone

1- M31 Andromeda's galaxy; 2- Mirach (Beta Andromeda); 3- Alpheratz (Alpha Andromeda); 4- Omicron Andromeda; 5- HR8632 in the Lacerta constellation (Yale catalogue of stars); 6- Scheat (Beta Pegasus); 7- Psi Pegasus; 8- Pi Pegasus; 9- Algenib (Gamma Pegasus); 10- Theta, Iota, Lambda, Kappa, Gamma and Omega Pisces; 11- Beta Pisces; 12- Eta Aquarius; 13- Markab (Alpha Pegasus); 14- Homam (Zeta Pegasus); 15- Theta Pegasus; 16- Ancha (Theta Aquarius); 17- Sadalsud (Beta Aquarius); 18- Alpha Equuleus; 19- Enif (Epsilon Pegasus); 20- HR8313 in the Pegasus constellation (Yale catalogue of stars); 21- HR8173 in the Pegasus constellation (Yale catalogue of stars); 22- Delphinus constellation; ?- Figure not yet defined in astronomical context.

It is true that the spheres are often found in groups of a dozen to twenty stones and that these groupings have shown to be aligned to North and South. A stone has also been found carved with petroglyphs that have been attributed to stellar constellations, adding to the "un-earthliness" of their origin.

The photos posted and discussed supposedly show a stone with carvings of stellar constellations, with depictions of the 'bright box' shape of Pegasus and Andromeda. Is that possible? Possibly, how probable though?

Source
The construction of the spheres would have required a high degree of measurement and mathematics. One perplexing question is why this same level of skill and precision has not been found in any other artifacts of this era and region.

Source
In addition to what has been discussed are the 1943 drawings of Doris Stone. The two map plans were taken by Lothrop from Stone's article in American Antiquity titled, A Preliminary Investigation of the Flood Plain of the Rio Grande de Terraba, Costa Rica, Vol. 9, No.1, pg. 78. Left: A mound with 14 balls on Farm 5. Right: Ten large balls on Farm 7

In the end it's just a theory that should be looked at a bit more seriously. We do not know what their original purpose was. There is much speculation about to their true purpose. I for one believe they once were locations for certain stars and or constellations that were important to them. We may never know for sure because so many have been moved, destroyed and not to mention those of which are still to be discovered and which may never be.

If any of you reading this have ever been away from city lights [or any man made lights for that matter] either camping, hiking or on long road trips and viewed the heavens on a clear night you know what I'm talking about and just how amazing and immense the view truly is.

I have no doubt that man of that period with no TV, Movies, Interwebs etc etc etc probably enjoyed their free night time just with a camp fire and would look up and ask in amazement 'what’s it all about?' I know I still ask that....

As always
Thank you.

edit on 14-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Seen these off and on for years with so many theories.

From Star Charts to Art and even some have suggested a Natural Phenomenon. Can't see it being natural tho.

Good read as always Slayer.

Please U2U me when you are the one to uncover the mystery...

Peace

S&F

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Nice !!!

Ok, heres one for you Slayer.

Are we talking "local" areas, where these are found, or are we talking a Star map, that encompasses the whole of Costa Rica? I could imagine, when these things weren't buried, or moved to be laying out, all over the place........

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I feel they possibly could have been spread out over a vast area not just within the region presently known as Costa Rica by an ancient culture/civilization whose territory covered a much larger area at one time...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nice thread! First time I have ever heard of these. Thanks for the info!

ps- it's obviously Nibiru connected.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
ps- it's obviously Nibiru connected.

Obviously.

RUN!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Well, I sent you another link to consider. Could a calamity, in that region, have amounted to these things being shot out, all over the place, via Volcanic, or meteor ? Just throwing it out there..

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Could be astronomy related but the other day i was refreshing myself with some basic chemistry and the stone balls could be related to the elements protons,neutrons,electrons.

Just threw that out there but both are similar.
edit on 14-7-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Have the spheres been found anywhere else?

great read!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Great thread slayer ! snf
these huge balls are very interesting and beautiful

Old people like to play "Petanque" because its a very old game
maybe the gods in space understand the game and though to create their own
by imitating humans

or humans immiting the gods ?
like the mayan "ball to the hips" game through a circle
edit on 7/14/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
From Star Charts to Art and even some have suggested a Natural Phenomenon. Can't see it being natural tho.F

There are plenty of "Natural Stone balls" found all over the world. I'm theorizing on their placement to possibly correspond with the night sky of their time. I'm more than sure that some are man made and some may be natural.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Spheres have been found all over the world but never this many and in such a relatively small area [Costa Rica] so far there have been over 300 + perfect spheres of various sizes located near each other.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by beezzer

Spheres have been found all over the world but never this many and in such a relatively small area [Costa Rica] so far there have been over 300 + perfect spheres of various sizes located near each other.

I remember a Discovery Channel show on those. A true mystery.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

actually, yes..........

Most of the stone balls I saw ranged from one to two meters in diameter, many still half-buried in volcanic tuff, and, yes, a great many of them were very close to spherical. As Tony Burton stated in Western Mexico, a Traveller's Treasury, "Nothing quite like them exists elsewhere in Mexico or, according to current scientific opinion, anywhere else in the world."

Las Piedras Bola: the great stone balls of Ahualulco

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

That's an interesting idea. I wrote a thread a few years ago here at ATS about the Olmec Giant heads and those ancient ball courts....

Olmec Giant Stone Heads Mystery Solved?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Great thread chief...

And the first picture in your thread would have garnered a Flag and Star alone - reminds me of a past stud member...

If any of you reading this have ever been away from city lights [or any man made lights for that matter] either camping, hiking or on long road trips and viewed the heavens on a clear night you know what I'm talking about and just how amazing and immense the view truly is.

Indeed...the opportunity to avoid light pollution in So Cal is a no-go, so every time I leave this county the first thing I do is look up.

Great connections as one other member pointed out...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I feel like that's kind like saying there are star charts on my stucco ceiling. You could literally get any pattern you want out of it.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by soyentist
I feel like that's kind like saying there are star charts on my stucco ceiling. You could literally get any pattern you want out of it.

Two more posts and you'll have your twenty. I suppose anything is possible eh?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
So the CR balls come from two sources a natural one and a man-made one. As to the man made ones there has been a great deal od speculation on the purpose. I would add to that found with the stone balls, but much rarer are stone 'barrels' (Barriles)about the size that would be appropriate to sit on

I tend to favour them either being an artistic expression, a marker of property or spiritually or more practically the makers may have seen them like Rai Stones in the Pacific, being a type of currency of influence

A study and theory on the stones
edit on 14/7/12 by Hanslune because: Added image of yap wheel

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Could they all have come from a Natural source, and moved, for spiritual/religious, or Heavenly purposes ?

I only ask, because many stones, like this are found all around the world.

Large spherical concretions, similar in size and shape to the Moeraki Boulders have been found elsewhere in the world. For example, large spherical concretions as large as 3 metres (10 feet) in diameter are along the Cannonball River within Morton and Sioux Counties, North Dakota. Large spherical concretions as much as 4 to 6 metres (13.2 to 20 feet) in diameter occur within sandstone outcrops of the Frontier Formation in northeast Utah and central Wyoming. Similar somewhat weathered and eroded giant spheroidal concretions, as large as 6 metres (20 feet) in diameter, are at Rock City in Ottawa County, Kansas. Smaller spherical concretions are found on the shore of Lake Huron near Kettle Point, Ontario, where they are known as "kettles".

Moeraki Boulders

I do tend to think, that they might be Star charts. Would have loved to have an aerial view, of them, before they were moved or buried. That must have been a sight to see.

edit on 14-7-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join