It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular video game reveals villain as “leader of the 99%”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

The military uses simulations, which is not in anyway like a CoD game.

Enter:

ARMA 2

Call of Duty...hahahaha

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

CoD resembles DoD to a point that it's not fun to play CoD if you have played DoD. It's all 15 different flavors of Doom with minor improvements.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristaneldritch
Interestingly, when I saw the headline for this thread, it immediately made me think of the fact that The Dark Knight Rises apparently features the villain Bane as the leader of an occupy-type movement. Then when I watched the trailer for the game, it turns to be written by the co-writer of Dark Knight Rises, David S Goyer. Curious.

I haven't seen the batman movie or the trailer for it, but hey that is interesting isn't it?

Don't know anything about the guy, but it looks like he got right out of college and somehow started selling his scripts immediately.

Wikipedia
edit on 15-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by darkbake
Back in the day, video games used to take pride in having the hero take down corrupt corporate or government leaders.

It's funny how the term back in the day is relative, from my perspective back in the day video games didnt have storylines.

That game is the ongoing stuggle between 'us' and 'them' man. Can't you see it?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Personally, Call of Duty storylines can be deceptively deep. I watch my little bro play, and it actually presents some pretty nice stories.

The only problem, Tsuki, is that it's also teaching your little brother to think that war is awesome, so when he reaches the appropriate age, he'll be more than happy to run down to the recruitment office and enlist, in order to kill brown people to protect Dick Cheney's bottom line.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

Originally posted by tristaneldritch
Interestingly, when I saw the headline for this thread, it immediately made me think of the fact that The Dark Knight Rises apparently features the villain Bane as the leader of an occupy-type movement. Then when I watched the trailer for the game, it turns to be written by the co-writer of Dark Knight Rises, David S Goyer. Curious.

I haven't seen the batman movie or the trailer for it, but hey that is interesting isn't it?

This is reading slightly too much into it. In the movie, Bane is a member of the League of Shadows, the terrorist org that taught Bruce to be a ninja in the first film, and who wanted to destroy Gotham because they thought it was corrupt. At the time of the first film, Occupy didn't even exist, so the subtext likely doesn't reach that far.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
I don’t play video games these days…and no need for name calling.

Do you think government monitors instruct video game makers on proper use of propaganda? Paranoid are we?

Yes, they actually do.

Would you like the names of some of the military consultants that work on these games? You know who runs the military, right?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

My apologies Evolutionsend, I obviously misunderstood your intent but regardless I did not mean to come off as sharply as my post reads in making my point.

Internet forums are a rather sterile communication medium and sometimes it is difficult to guage where somebody is coming from in conversation through print alone.

You seem like a decent person so I added you to my friends list as a reminder to take more care in the future before clicking the reply button.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Is there another group that calls themselves the “99%”?

Any group of people just 1 percent short of a hundred.

You have no idea what the term even means do you? Occupy does not say it is THE 99%. They say they are part of and stand up for the 99%. The vast majority of the 99% have not lifted a damn finger or attended any protests.

Some people just can’t seem to escape logical fallacy.

I cannot wait for you to tell me what that is.

So because I despise the actions of Occupy I somehow support the governments of the world and all of their baggage?

DID YOU EVEN READ YOUR OPENING POST?
It was not "I hate occupy but I would not serve my government masters like this"
It was "I hate occupy and this is awesome!"

Read it a couple times until you understand it.

You really should think these things through before hitting the "reply" button.

Meh…

I did. Now if you had thought about what you said before you posted it we would not be having this issue. Your entire post is all about, as long as the government tells you to shoot something you do not like anyway, the government must be right.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
'm not a massive gamer, but the call of duty games I've played have allowed gamers to control characters just before they are killed from first person perspective. Often these deaths are brutal and senseless executions or horrific ways to die. I've never seen a game discourage a person more from being a soldier and it's a giant step forward from games that were just senseless killing of foriegn power's militaries.

WHAT THE # ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
When you die, the screen flashes red and white until it goes blank.
Where the hell is this gore you are talking about?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Its the matrix?

Yes, the only other option is that is the the matrix. I have games that I would say are not just games because they are also stunning films with great stories but you go off into crazy land.

The military uses simulations, which is not in anyway like a CoD game.

Did you read what I #ing wrote?
I did not say the military uses CoD to train anyway. Jesus I hate repeating myself here. Are you arguing with me that these games are NOT made with the military with the idea of recruitment heavily involved? #ing "Transformers" was a recruitment film by the military advisor's admission. I thought people with opinions about this stuff knew something about them.
Yes, the military does indeed help design these games.

Says you!

Very good, I am the one that said it. I do not care for games that tell me exactly what to press and when to press it or else I have to....try again.
That is just too retarded for me. But hey, if it entertains you.

CoD is a Tactical Shooter. Strategy is kinda the whole point.

No it isn't. Jesus have you played any of them? They are all FPSs. None of them involve strategy of any kind.

I guess thats why I felt no guilt over all those hookers I killed, you maybe onto something here...

Feels like I am talking to children today. So I say that a military game, designed in part with the military who has a goal of getting people to want to be them, is also a propaganda tool then you assume every game must be DESIGNED as a propaganda tool?

How the hell does your brain do that trick?
I would think it would present challenges to you in every day life when doing things like being awake.

Well not anymore it sure isn't!

Oh and you are funny.

If you think thats bad, you should play GTA. I continue to rack up the body counts long after I set down the controller. In fact, I thinks its time for a nice drive...

I love GTA. I forget now which government is telling me to kill random strangers because they are the enemy in GTA. Help me out.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
not everything is a conspiracy.
nuff said

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by habitforming

Yes, the only other option is that is the the matrix. I have games that I would say are not just games because they are also stunning films with great stories but you go off into crazy land.

Hey man, i was just trailing you. You are the expert after all, lol.

Did you read what I #ing wrote? I did not say the military uses CoD to train anyway. Jesus I hate repeating myself here. Are you arguing with me that these games are NOT made with the military with the idea of recruitment heavily involved? #ing "Transformers" was a recruitment film by the military advisor's admission. I thought people with opinions about this stuff knew something about them. Yes, the military does indeed help design these games.

No, they act as consultants at best.

Very good, I am the one that said it. I do not care for games that tell me exactly what to press and when to press it or else I have to....try again. That is just too retarded for me. But hey, if it entertains you.

Oh I freaking LOVE it. You should try the online sometimes, that stuff gets intense. Though I understand if you dont have the motor skills for it.

No it isn't. Jesus have you played any of them? They are all FPSs. None of them involve strategy of any kind.

No, they are FPS tactical shooters, just shooting at every enemy regardless of position is a bad idea. Even easy mode requires a lvl of competence, something you would understand if you had played one of the games.

Feels like I am talking to children today. So I say that a military game, designed in part with the military who has a goal of getting people to want to be them, is also a propaganda tool then you assume every game must be DESIGNED as a propaganda tool?

Arent you the one who assumed that about these games? Despite you insisting that it is "propaganda" you are still talking out your ass.

How the hell does your brain do that trick?

I learned from the best(you).

I love GTA. I forget now which government is telling me to kill random strangers because they are the enemy in GTA. Help me out.

Right, I suppose it went over your head. Well since you can classify CoD as propaganda for military it only makes sense that GTA is gang propaganda. And Mass effect is Alien propaganda. And Skyrim is anti-dragon propaganda.

After all, no one would ever make games set in a military setting without the hidden agenda of brain washing youngsters.

Just following your thought processes man.

Enjoyed talking to you, I hope some day you get a sense of humor.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

The only problem, Tsuki, is that it's also teaching your little brother to think that war is awesome, so when he reaches the appropriate age, he'll be more than happy to run down to the recruitment office and enlist, in order to kill brown people to protect Dick Cheney's bottom line.

Hey, I forgive you since you did not know this, but my little bros dad is from Afghanistan. He is one of those "brown people". Him and his dad have no problem playing the game, because they understand it is not real.

Just like how I can kill fictional white people in cold blood, they have no problem killing fictional "brown people" in cold blood. Because its fiction.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Hey man, i was just trailing you. You are the expert after all, lol.

Show me where I lead you to anything as crazy as to suggest that video games are really the matrix.

No, they act as consultants at best.

So you don't really know, but you have this opinion. I never said they write code but they sure do brag about how much input they get from the military.

Oh I freaking LOVE it. You should try the online sometimes, that stuff gets intense. Though I understand if you dont have the motor skills for it.

Oh I never said I could not do it, I said it was boring as hell to just wait to be told to press a button and then press it. Wow, that takes brains.

No, they are FPS tactical shooters, just shooting at every enemy regardless of position is a bad idea. Even easy mode requires a lvl of competence, something you would understand if you had played one of the games.

I have all of them and you are apparently not the least bit familiar with them. They are not tactical shooters. Rainbow Six is a tactical shooter and even they did away with most of that in Vegas and Vegas 2.

Arent you the one who assumed that about these games? Despite you insisting that it is "propaganda" you are still talking out your ass.

I have not assumed a damn thing. Everything I have written is a fact.

I learned from the best(you).

I bet you are the wittiest kid in all 5th grade.

Right, I suppose it went over your head. Well since you can classify CoD as propaganda for military it only makes sense that GTA is gang propaganda. And Mass effect is Alien propaganda. And Skyrim is anti-dragon propaganda.

Apparently it is all going way over your head. The military helps create COD and infuses the message they want. Show me that gangs do that for GTA or aliens do that for ME or else get a clue. I cannot believe you do not understand the difference here. I spelled it out twice now.

After all, no one would ever make games set in a military setting without the hidden agenda of brain washing youngsters.

Actually I specifically addressed this "point" already. No one ever said all games set in military environments are propaganda. We are talking about a specific series here that is created with military recruitment in mind.

Just following your thought processes man.

Enjoyed talking to you, I hope some day you get a sense of humor.

I hope you learn how to respond to what I say instead of thinking you are funny and just randomly flinging nonsense at me.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by habitforming

So you don't really know, but you have this opinion.

No, I know.

I never said they write code but they sure do brag about how much input they get from the military.

Of course they do, that's the selling point.

Oh I never said I could not do it, I said it was boring as hell to just wait to be told to press a button and then press it. Wow, that takes brains.

What ARE you talking about? You said this before, it still make no sense. Its a tactical (because to beat the campaign you need to use tactics)shooter. I only play modern warfare, I don't encounter those pop up button instances very often. They certainly don't happen often enough to make the game feel THAT repetitive.

I think you are exaggerating.

I have all of them and you are apparently not the least bit familiar with them. They are not tactical shooters. Rainbow Six is a tactical shooter and even they did away with most of that in Vegas and Vegas 2.

Yes yes, tactics only work when you can perform stealth attacks and whatnot. I get it. You are right.

I have not assumed a damn thing. Everything I have written is a fact.

Okay then.

I bet you are the wittiest kid in all 5th grade.

What a strange put down.

Apparently it is all going way over your head. The military helps create COD and infuses the message they want. Show me that gangs do that for GTA or aliens do that for ME or else get a clue. I cannot believe you do not understand the difference here. I spelled it out twice now.

And you were wrong twice. If people who play that game do join the military, then its probably because they already had an interest in the military. Not because they took a look at the game and decide to on whim.

Actually I specifically addressed this "point" already. No one ever said all games set in military environments are propaganda. We are talking about a specific series here that is created with military recruitment in mind.

And yet no one I have ever played with has said "Man, I wish I could get shot in the face in real life. Looks like so much fun."

I hope you learn how to respond to what I say instead of thinking you are funny and just randomly flinging nonsense at me.

First off, I am funny. Second, why do you even care about responding? You find me so annoying(though I find you entertaining) that one would think you would just quietly curse my stupidity and move on.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by habitforming

I doubt that it would be unfair to say, that most contemporary ones are. Doom, Quake, the early ones; they weren't. They were about soldiers yes, but they were science fiction. The more recent ones are closer to being based around real people. Fidel Castro, etc.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

This is enlightening; and disturbing.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If you want a video game that actually about conspiracies and doesn't end in 5 hours of corridor gameplay you should play Deus Ex.
To be honest I don't think the majority of people who play don't really care about the story just the online and zombies mode.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

So what you really mean to say is that the player is on the wrong side.

I bet the ATS site owners will be the main bad guys at the end of The Secret World.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join