It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Khufu's little known satellite pyramid, G1-d

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Less than two decades ago while clearing away a road that ran in front of Khufu's pyramid another pyramid, hereunto unknown was discovered. it measures 23 x 23m, with an angle of inclination of 52° . This satellite pyramid was only found in 1993 and is interpreted as a cult pyramid (like the small pyramid G2a near Khafre's pyramid).

What was its purpose? Speculation is; it was used as a 'model' of what the larger pyramid was to suppose to look like - to show to workers, it was built after the work on Khufu's was done and was part of the mortuary temple or...what?

The pyramid is built in a near approximation of the size and angles of its larger companion

Where is it?

A top down view of the necropolis that surrounds Khufu's pyramid. By comparing this image with the next one below you can locate where G1-d is

In the image below it is labeled 'o' this diagram shows it how it might have looked in the past and complete while it is now just ruins

A large scale map showing in detail the tombs, satellite pyramids and boat bits around Khufu's tomb. The pyramid G1-d is noted as '11'

Small aerial view of the excavation

Excavation map - okay okay only a hardcore archy would like this but just watch when a Certain Canadian poster sees it, lol

A few black and white image (from the PDF) showing people so you can get the scale of this pyramid. I hope I don't need to mention that the cable is ...modern

An image of the substructure of the pyramid

An image of one of the stones with the original builders mark on it; with the rather pedestrian comment

"which is on the south (back) side"

Pyramid G1-d as it is today, in the picture on the left side you can see the pyramidion

Link to detailed PDF on G1-d and other related structures nearby

edit on 14/7/12 by Hanslune because: Added missing image of inscription

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Extremely cool post Hans!

So little of it is left, yet there is the distinctive base course and the clear footprint of what was there, along with the pyramidion.

The PDF was a good read, I think it helps show how fluid the design of the Giza pyramid complex was, how it changed with the whims of it's builders and was not a single grand scheme. There were inclusions, exclusions, alterations, (even abandonment of structures), all based on the evolving religious practices of the Pharaohs.

S+F!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Awesome post! Just downloaded the pdf for review, and will try to get back with some thoughts and opinions...

A few black and white image (from the PDF) showing people so you can get the scale of this pyramid. I hope I don't need to mention that the cable is ...modern

Whoa! Just stop right there!!! You have NOT proven this!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yes, there appears to have been constant change probably up to the intermediate period and later modifications in the middle and new kingsdoms- I suspect that Pharoahs and their officials were as whimsical as more modern aristocrats - so who know what whims and fads they thought up. I find it interesting that there was another foundation for yet another satellite pyramid that was not completed.

A favorite item on the east edge of the tomb is the 'model' for the internal structure of Khufu's Pyramid which I'll cover in a later thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I love everything about Ancient Egypt, but this is my first time reading about that smaller pyramid. You learn something new every day

Just curious, but were any remains found in close proximity to the satellite pyramid?

You should definitely do your next thread on the Osirian Temple at Abydos.
edit on 7/14/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9

I love everything about Ancient Egypt, but this is my first time reading about that smaller pyramid. You learn something new every day

Just curious, but were any remains found in close proximity to the satellite pyramid?

You should definitely do your next thread on the Osirian Temple at Abydos.
edit on 7/14/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

The pyramid had been leveled even the limestone paving of the burial chamber was removed in ancient times so as far as I know no remains. Which is why I believe Egyptologists assigned it a 'cult' status as there is no clue as to who the pyramid might have been for....a tomb, model, or 'x'

The Osirian temple has been done a number of times here I believe. Check with a poster named Slayer he has done a number of high quality postings on a variety of subjects
edit on 14/7/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Very cool finding. I read about Ancient Egypt often and this is the first time I have read about this smaller satellite pyramid.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 304edgewood

Yes it was rather under noticed on the Internet. I made up a wikipage for it and that should be thru the vetting process in a few days

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

gotta say much as the small 'model' pyramid is interesting, a model of the interior is more so. personally i never liked explantions i have heard for the purpose of different areas but hey what do i know. so cant wait to read that thread.

by the way it seems that this pyramid might tend to undermine many of the more ancient age for the pyramids type of ideas.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by 304edgewood

Yes it was rather under noticed on the Internet. I made up a wikipage for it and that should be thru the vetting process in a few days

Wikipedia page for pyramid G1-d

I'll be adding more information to the wikipage after I get some of the new info translated from French and Arabic
edit on 14/9/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

top topics

join