It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anybody identify f15/f22 mig hybrid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Deffinately not an f22.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

There are only four possibilities with the outward canted twin tails. The F-18, the F-22, the F-35, and the Pak-FA. The Pak-Fa wasn't at Farnborough this year as far as I know. The F-35 is still in testing, and I don't believe any of them were there either. The F-22, might have been, and the F-18 definitely was. So it has to be one of those. I don't know of any other aircraft even close to flight testing that have the outward canting tails like that that would have been there.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

As it's air show season in the UK,they could conceivably be either Sukhoi Su 27,s or Su 35's they are very large aircraft with a twin tail configuration,only problem is, the twin tails are not canted outwards,could have seemed canted due to the angle of viewing though?

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 15-7-2012 by nake13 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2012 by nake13 because: addendum

edit on 15-7-2012 by nake13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by no1dea

There are only four possibilities with the outward canted twin tails. The F-18, the F-22, the F-35, and the Pak-FA. The Pak-Fa wasn't at Farnborough this year as far as I know. The F-35 is still in testing, and I don't believe any of them were there either. The F-22, might have been, and the F-18 definitely was. So it has to be one of those. I don't know of any other aircraft even close to flight testing that have the outward canting tails like that that would have been there.

If we are going to count prototypes and technology demonstration designs like Pak-FA, there is one more possibility...

Boeing F-15SE Silent Eagle

It's got the canted vertical stabilizers, definitely looks like an F-15 and there is one prototype flying (although I highly doubt it was what the OP reported seeing)

Edit: I just checked the aircraft display expected for Farnborough 2012 and both F-15 and F/A-18 are listed.
Static Display Aircraft
Flying Display Aircraft

Perhaps the OP saw them both up together and mistook the Superbug for what looked like a second Eagle with canted vertical stabs?
edit on 15-7-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: added content

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

reply to post by no1dea

If we are going to count prototypes and technology demonstration designs like Pak-FA, there is one more possibility...

It's got the canted vertical stabilizers, definitely looks like an F-15 and there is one prototype flying (although I highly doubt it was what the OP reported seeing)

I'm pretty sure there isn't a flying prototype that looks like that. The conformal bays were tested but no F-15 was modified with the canted tails. Whats in the picture is a mock up.

I think adding limited stealth to a very capable platform is better than a new platform with limited stealth and limited capabilities (f-35).

It would be different if the F-35 was fully stealthy like F-22 but it isn't.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

I'm pretty sure there isn't a flying prototype that looks like that. The conformal bays were tested but no F-15 was modified with the canted tails. Whats in the picture is a mock up.

I think adding limited stealth to a very capable platform is better than a new platform with limited stealth and limited capabilities (f-35).

I don't know if the photo is a mock up however the protype has been flying for 2 years.

Boeing Silent Eagle flight demonstrator makes 1st flight

ST. LOUIS, July 9, 2010 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] Silent Eagle flight demonstrator aircraft F-15E1 completed a successful first flight on July 8 from Lambert St. Louis International Airport.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

I don't know if the photo is a mock up however the protype has been flying for 2 years.

Boeing Silent Eagle flight demonstrator makes 1st flight

ST. LOUIS, July 9, 2010 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] Silent Eagle flight demonstrator aircraft F-15E1 completed a successful first flight on July 8 from Lambert St. Louis International Airport.

Yes, but its only an early production F-15 modified with the conformal bays to do release testing (the easier bit). The new tails were not on that demonstrator and I don't believe it has ever flown in that configuration.

www.koreatimes.co.kr...

If the full aircraft existed it would be competing as a prototype for the Korea requirement, it doesn't.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

reply to post by no1dea

Edit: I just checked the aircraft display expected for Farnborough 2012 and both F-15 and F/A-18 are listed.
Static Display Aircraft
Flying Display Aircraft

Perhaps the OP saw them both up together and mistook the Superbug for what looked like a second Eagle with canted vertical stabs?
edit on 15-7-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: added content

Whoa nice find!
Two identical planes, no f18.
other info i just found with pics. its either this and thats two of them, or two pak fa's.
personaly i think its more likely to have been the f15se, but two the over uk?

www.flightglobal.com...

That sure looks like what i saw.

www.flightglobal.com...

Bear in mid this was in may sometime...

edit on 15/7/12 by no1dea because: Added picture link

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The F-15SE hasn't flown yet. The E model with conformal weapons bays has, but the actual SE hasn't flown. The Pak-Fa was included in my list because it's made at least a couple of airshow rounds. The only aircraft I really think it could have been were the F-35, the F-22, and the F-18.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

I believe Justwokeup is correct, it would seem that the Boeing F-15SE program is dead in the water and the canted vertical stabs were never developed far enough beyond the cosmetic mock up to actually have flown on the prototype. .

It's a shame but understandable. The F-15 is unquestionably the most successful of the modern air superiority platform's however the F-X program was over 40 years ago and the technological challenges to survive in a modern threat environment have grown exponentially.

My curiosity is piqued on this. To be honest my first thought was simple misidentification however you seem reasonably knowledgeable about military aircraft and I am inclined to believe your claim (no offence intended however it is ATS
)

The UK has a very active aircraft spotter community ( the Tiffy's practically have their own fanclub, they can't taxi between hangers without somebody reporting on it ) There were undoubtedly other people who saw your mystery aircraft, perhaps somebody even got a photo?

Could you perhaps narrow down the date somewhat?

Were you close enough to see markings and were they carrying any kind of external stores?

On a related yet separate note, this seems like as good a time as any to post a couple of gratuitous aircraft photos for the enjoyment of the aviation fans reading along. Since the topic is U.K. aviation, a V-bomber trifecta seems appropriate...

Vickers Valiant
Avro Vulcan
Handley Page Victor (got to love the anti-flash white
)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

The SE is up in the air. Boeing has submitted it to Korea for their new fighter competition, but further development will probably depend on them winning the competition. It doesn't have the stealth of an F-35, but it does have the advantage that Korea already flies a pretty good number of F-15s, so they may decide to go with an updated version of the Eagle for commonality purposes.

Boeing: F-15SE
EADS: Eurofighter Typhoon
Lockheed Martin: F-35A/B
edit on 7/15/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Here is a link that may be of help

Military Aircraft and Helicopter Sightings - United Kingdom

Military Aircraft and Helicopter Sightings - United Kingdom exists to provide all aviation enthusiasts with the best information and resources to aid them in identifying or discussing military aircraft sightings.

I don't see anything reported in the last couple of months however between the Queen's Diamond Jubilee flyover and preparations for Olympic security contingencies there has been a lot of stuff flying in your airspace recently.

It certainly seems plausible that there was something out of the ordinary during the last few weeks...

During this summer’s Olympic and Paralympic Games, UK Armed Forces will be playing a key role assisting the police and other Government departments to ensure these internationally important events are safe and secure. There is no specific threat to the Games, but we have to be ready.

As part of this contribution, the Ministry of Defence will bolster its existing arrangements for ensuring the security of UK airspace. RAF Typhoon interceptors are always on alert for this purpose, but during the Games a number of these aircraft will be deployed to RAF Northolt, west London, and helicopters from the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force will operate from several sites in and around London.

In preparation for their important role, a series of exercises has been taking place, bringing together all of the military assets such as helicopters, fighters, ground-based radar systems and air defence missile systems. During early May, this training will culminate with a large military exercise in London and the Home Counties. Codenamed Exercise Olympic Guardian, it will be an important opportunity before the start of the Games for Defence forces to rehearse and ensure they are operationally ready.

The exercise will commence on 2 May and complete on 10 May, spanning the May Bank Holiday weekend. During this weekend there will be a visible and audible presence of RAF Typhoon and Military helicopters operating above Greater London and the Home Counties. There will also be flights occurring throughout the exercise period, to allow pilots and other forces to become familiar with operating in the London and Home Counties airspace.

Olympic Air Security

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The only aircraft I really think it could have been were the F-35, the F-22, and the F-18.

Regarding the F-35, I believe the U.K. just took possession of their 2nd F-35B within the week, both are reported to be at Eglin AFB in Florida which would rule out the U.K. F-35/Joint Combat Aircraft.

Do you think is it possible the MOD is planning an unannounced F-35 flyby for the Olympics and have brought a couple the U.S. aircraft over quietly? Admittedly, I have no real basis but perhaps the OP happened to catch a glimpse of an orientation flight?

The RAF has F-35 qualified pilots flying in the current training/test program.

It's no secret that the F-35 is a huge political topic and flying a couple over the opening ceremony would pacify some of its critics and might prove to be a huge boost for its proponents.

On the other hand, I don't know if it would be possible to keep something like that out of the press and barring an unexpected revelation that it was one of the U.S. aircraft, I think we can cross F-35 off the list.

Lockheed Martin test pilot Bill Gigliotti flew a 1.4-hour inaugural flight of F-35B BK-2 (serial number ZM136) from NAS Fort Worth JRB on July 11, 2012.

Airframe Details for F-35 #BK-02

Lockheed Martin test pilot Bill Gigliotti took the short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) jet through a series of functional flight checks during a sortie that lasted 45 minutes. The jet will complete a series of company and government checkout flights prior to its acceptance by the U.K. Ministry of Defence.

The U.K. MOD will use this 5th Generation fighter for training and operational tests at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., beginning later this year.

"Not only is this a watershed moment for the Joint Strike Fighter program, since BK-01 is the first international F-35 to fly, but it also brings us one step closer to delivery of this essential 5th Generation capability for the U.K., " said Group Captain Harv Smyth, the Joint Strike Fighter U.K. National Deputy.

UK's first F-35 makes inaugural flight

edit on 15-7-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

It's possible, but I think that they're all tied up with the testing program. I can see them doing something like that though, the problem is keeping it quiet. There are a lot of plane spotters there that would have seen it I'm sure.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
was it this?

this caused some confusion at farnborough this year - its an FA/18 btw

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You said two verticle tail wings..? I saw some of your bomber pics a couple back is it possible it was the new stealth bomber...here:ffffound.com...

???

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSGrunt

Too bad only one of those is real. The Osprey pic is multiple Osprey's line up so it looks like the future quad tiltrotor. The others are all fakes.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakyclown
was it this?

Nope deffinately not.

I will say it's been strangely quiet this year with regards to military air craft in my region. flights in the area most days during the summer normaly, but this year hardly any. Maybe thats down to the poor weather, but theyre usualy out on better days and theres been 2 weeks of pretty good weather now but no flights...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by no1dea

Originally posted by freakyclown
was it this?

Nope deffinately not.

I will say it's been strangely quiet this year with regards to military air craft in my region. flights in the area most days during the summer normaly, but this year hardly any. Maybe thats down to the poor weather, but theyre usualy out on better days and theres been 2 weeks of pretty good weather now but no flights...

Without having looked into the matter I would guess the lack activity is because some parts of your military are on a heightened state of readiness due to the Olympics and I imagine training exercise's involving any asset that may foreseeably be called upon have been suspended during the duration of the games.

Certainly a number of the Tiffie fleet are rotating through air defence/visibility patrols on the approach's to London or sitting on some level of armed alert in their revetments.

I also imagine the MOD is restricting any unnecessary airtraffic to keep the aerial clutter to a minimum with the aim of being easier to discern suspicious air traffic for a swifter reaction time.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by no1dea

All you have done is mis-identified known types for your 'hybrid'. Mis-identification happens all the time. It truley is amazing what people think they have seen! Join a forum such as Fighter Control. Feel free to run it by the dedicated enthusiasts but extremely hard to keep an aircraft movement or a deployment from the enthusiasts.

Try narrowing down the date and compare it against the noted F-15 activity.

www.fightercontrol.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join