It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNBC: Peter SChiff and Lady Argue Over Govt. Involvement in Student Loans & Cost of Education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Man that girl was seriously annoying me
She's cute but sheesh

The road to good intentions will be paved with blood

I hate the thinking that this girl had, she is so opinionated in her beliefs but even worse she wants to impose her opinion on everyone
Sure Peter Schiff was perhaps also opinionated but he's not forcing you to do anything based on his opionions

We all know there's some good courses in school but also joke courses
Should everyone have to pay for a student to be able to get a degree in sexology?

Or how about this:
bonner.wordpress.com...

Thoughts ATS?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
As soon as this moron said the Government shouldn't be investing in education they should be investing in business it was all I needed to hear. He is all for spending government money as long as it is going to be spent for more corporate welfare.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The problem is taking the government out of the equation really isn't going to be enough. It will just cause students to take out more private loans that aren't through the federal government. Prices won't drop fast enough to stop a huge implosion of university revenue and the quality of those degrees will go down even further while the universities have massive budget shortfalls. We are in a bubble and exploding the bubble in the most violent way possible is not the answer. We have to ease the bubble down to manageable levels.

We should prevent colleges from raising tuition at the rates they have. If we slow the rate at which the cost of college is increasing down to inflation, things won't get out of control like the way they have. We also need to seriously gut these useless president salaries and inflated sports programs. They are literally sucking the money right out of other parts of universities like libraries and teacher pay (Which is at pathetic levels).

I currently attend Ohio University in Athens, Ohio and every year the board of trustees votes to raise tuition by the maximum rate allowed by the letter of the law. To solve their recent budget crises they cut teacher pay and library funding while at the same time expanding our sports programs while the university president makes a million dollars a year. This is not the answer to improve the quality of education and solve the student debt crisis. Parents are literally starting to be forced to pay for a significant part of their student's loans otherwise going to college is just a fantasy (Unless you are in the few % that get a free ride via big scholarships).

This is seriously #ed up and it will take some hardcore intervention to stop a massive bubble burst like the housing bubble. The problem is, financial institutions that provide private student loans will be hurt massively by all of this bad debt, and it could cause ordinary people who don't even care to hurt.

They are broth wrong about how to solve the crises, but Peter is closer to the answer. Rather than immediately remove all federal influence, they need to slowly phase out the government to prevent a huge short term impact. They then need to cap the rate at which colleges can raise tuition to match inflation. Universities will be forced to re-order their priorities from ridiculously bloated sports programs to more important academic elements such as research, libraries, and incentive based teacher pay. If they still don't get their budgets in order there may need to be more regulation imposed onto how universities spend their budget. I'm really tired of paying for some kids football career.
edit on 14-7-2012 by nuclear12346 because: grammar

edit on 14-7-2012 by nuclear12346 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This woman was so clueless, you could see it in her face. She didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

Government backed the student loans, colleges were able to charge astronomical fees at that point. The government took all pricing competitiveness out of college tuition.

There is nothing she can argue, it's an absolute fact.

I have friends with $75k + of college debt, they can not bankrupt; delivering pizzas.

It's sickening, and people who fell for it were not thinking about their future.

I never went to college, and I am a very successful computer programmer with 10 years experience. The value of self education is better than the value of class education. I spent maybe $1,500 on my education on books and online courses.

My wife wants to go to college, I won't let her until she gets a grant that she doesn't have to pay back. She needs to take the time and learn what she wants to learn herself.

Unless you're going to be a lawyer, doctor, engineer, teacher or anything that requires top notch credentials than college isn't needed. 90% of college degrees are worthless.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I watched this and couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Schiff was basically stating that college may not be the answer for everyone, and he came close to identifying "Issue Degrees," but held back. "(Fill-in-the-blank) Studies," et c do not lead to anything marketable and only add to the number of staff and expenses of the school.

Diana Carew (Public Policy Institute) was of the opinion that a 4-year degree was a "right," regardless of cost or marketability. Her affiliation with the "progressive" PPI should be a dead giveaway that she wants a larger government hand in education, regardless of cost.

Regardless of who guarantees or pays the loans/tuition, the reality is that we have come to accept a "liberal arts" education to be of equal value, and deserving of staffing and funding as core curriculum.

Allowing "student athletes" to take P.E. and similar courses for a year or two before flunking out, or pushing various diveristy and ethnicity degrees to be used to increase enrollment does no favor to the students who graduate and cannot use their degrees in the market.

We need to re-define what our public universities are doing and hold regents accountable for results, rahter than income and enrollment.
edit on 14-7-2012 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

ETA: I attnded 7 years of post-secondary education, worked the entire time, and took out 6 student loans. I graduated with two "real" degrees, and paid the loans over about 6 years..
edit on 14-7-2012 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The fact that this woman graduated from any university is evidence that the education system in this nation is FUBAR'ed.

She clearly has no clue about the very basic concept of supply and demand, yet she is an "economist".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It's a shame her collage degree didn't teach her how to have some manners and not interrupt people who are in mid sentence making a point lol. I personally love how she disagrees, but never says exactly why she disagrees

top topics

join