It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you survive......???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Here's a scenario....

You go out of town on a road trip out of seattle WA. You pull off the road in the morning at a popular hiking spot. You go hiking all day. When you get back to your car in the evening you see a group of people gathered together acting all frantic. You talk to them and discover that a new-clear attack has whipped out every major city. You discover that the military is shutting down all major hi-ways. Fortunately you still have a full tank of gas. But unfortunately all your family was likely whipped out in the attack. All you have with you are the clothes on your back a small bottle of water and lunch and some basic things you keep in your car. You could make it to some near by towns. Or possibly to the coast. Or to the mountains. But you'd have to take back roads. And even if you got to one of these destinations you're not sure what you would run into.

What would you do and why?

edit on 14-7-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
By god man, I'd buy the survivors a dictionary! Maybe a thesaurus also, but definitely the carnage to the language would be overwhelming!

They can also be used as weapons, for the quick fingered txttlkr. always be wary of those foul swines or they'll have your face off in no time.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
If there is any fresh water nearby probably head for that, along the way start tasting some of the local foliage and looking for any decent roots to eat, better start getting use to it.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I would head back to town to see if any of my friends or family need me. I wouldn't assume they're dead. On the way, I would eat berries, apples, or whatever I could find.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
By god man, I'd buy the survivors a dictionary! Maybe a thesaurus also, but definitely the carnage to the language would be overwhelming!

They can also be used as weapons, for the quick fingered txttlkr. always be wary of those foul swines or they'll have your face off in no time.

lol'd 10/10 great grammer nazi-joking.

peace.

OP, i would be like "well shi....."

and then i would:

>go to my car
>open the door
>get on the floor
>everybody walk the dinosaur

lol

honestly, i would just try to survive, and stay away from the radiation.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I would head to the mountains. I always keep a axe and a shovel in the trunk and I was taught how to live off the land when I was a kid so it wouldn't be that hard for me to survive.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I'd try to go back home, because, frantic people are silly, and they could have escaped from a loony bin.

I'm not taking anyone's word for anything.

If what's said is true and all major cities are destroyed, ho-hum, don't panic, think about it, head for a military road-block and join up with them if possible. Hang out with the people that have guns and supplies.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

What would you do and why?

Follow the plan, because a calculated decision is almost always better than a kneejerk reaction.
Simple!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
STAR...

Stop
Think
Act
Review

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I'd get in my vehicle and go home. I don't live in or near a major city,so I'd simply go home.Then,I'd try to get tot he bottom of the situation. Every major city did not just get destroyed,that much would be pretty certain.So,findout what did, determine if my area will be ok or not, then begin with stocking up on whatever I can.
I
've got a good little stash of stuff and cold survive for some time,but might as well grab extra's if possible. Then just hunker down and wait to see how things play out and what will be necesary to survive.

The OP makes an interesting point. You come upon a group of people freaking out,claiming the world damn near got wiped out. If you freak out too,you just add to the problem. People tend to over react in stressful situations,simply adding fuel to the fire. What are the chances that every major city in the world got nuked?Pretty much nil.Ok, so get to the bottom of it before freaking out and carrying false information to the next people you meet. Fear and panic are spread by false or incorrect information, so try not to be a contributer to that.

Even if many major cities were wiped out, there are literally thousands of smaller towns and citites that would remain intact. Go there, do whatever you can to help people who are injured or need help. Community is the only real way your going to survive long term. If you band together your chances to survive will increase dramatically. Very few people can survive off the land on their own,and just because you built a fort in the woods as a kid does not make you one of those people.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
STAR...

Stop
Think
Act
Review

Going to have to go with this, would have to find out what is happening before I make any plans.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I never go hiking without my gun so I would probably be the only one armed. I would pick the two fattest ones and kill them and get to work preserving their meat. I would enslave the others and make them build us a house out of trees. After a few weeks once Stockholm syndrome has set in I would begin to pick which people would be worthy of breeding. Those who can breed would be put to work rebuilding the population while the people not permitted to breed would be given the option to be on labor duty, donate their meat to the group or leave and never return.
I would do this to ensure the survival of myself and my new friends.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
STAR...

Stop
Think
Act
Review

That sounds like some pat yourself on the back general non-sense. why not
SADD?
Survive
And
Don't
Die

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ok...Seattle it is...

That means we are on the west coast and nuclear fallout tends to follow the wind patterns meaning they flow east.

Also, if there really was a massive nuclear attack of that scale...

A-Would the car start, or in my... the truck.
B-If it did start, then I would tune in the radio and listen and start to wonder because the massive attack would not have been that massive.
C-If I have my truck, I am good. true to the natuire of this forum, I have a BOB and being a farm truck, I have plenty of rope, first aid kits, chainsaw, gas/oil mix, bar oil, axe, flares, hunting knives, a single barrel shotgun with plenty of ammo, tarps, candy bars, Nabs, even a few Lil Debbie HoneyBuns...extra gas and oil for the truck, a gallon of water, maps, a survival guide, etc...Love My Truck...I even have a copy of the declaration of Independence and the Constitution for those late night legal arguments over a beer or 5, and a wind up radio/flashlight

Once I determined that if there truly was a nuke attack...no radio music, no news, no starting the ol truck... I would head for the west coast away from the city... avoid the city at all costs...

Also, being that far north... would consider what time of year it is and make plans for camp and clothing...

Start looking at alternative means of food... start scavenging... travel parallel to the back roads about 100 yrds in and away from the road or powerline right of ways.... use the sun to estimate direction... travel west until I hit the ocean... find an abandoned boat and start fishing

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I'd start walking towards Canada and avoid any civilization. Assuming invaders didn't get me, and the fallout didn't, I'd be fine.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The survival scenario in question couldn't happen because I wouldn't have driven to a hiking spot

But if I'm going theoretically, I'd be with the only other two people that I care most about from town so I wouldn't need to go back to search for survivors. It's also a risk to us to go back because of potential high-dose levels of radiation and quite possibly full of urban warfare. Since I ONLY hike with full survival gear when I do go hiking, we'd be really well set as far as survival. It's relatively light-weight, roughly 36lbs for everything (can be shared between two people), and I have all of the tools necessary to tell where I need to go, how far I need to go, what the temperature is, and what the weather will be like the following day.

I wouldn't carry unnecessary things like an axe, rather I have a survival "chainsaw" which is basically a manual version of a chainsaw. You can get through a full-size tree within 2-minutes or smaller trees (dead ones) within one. You also use a lot less energy cutting these trees and it's so lightweight that it makes it as an essential survival tool.

I probably wouldn't have many rations available, but I'd be able to purify water for at least 3-4 months. Food would be gathered or killed charred and eaten
I'm not too savvy about what's poisonous and what's not just yet but in the event that we run into poison ivy/oak, there's quite a few wipes to neutralize this.

Anyways,we'd be making it to the safe haven point which we would be able to survive for as long as necessary (hopefully). Survival-wise, I'd build inverted pyramid fires or whatever you call them so they can be efficient and smoke-less. If at all possible, I'd make these in spots that aren't open and camouflaged from distant views.

We would all have our assigned roles for the things that we're best at during survival times and of course teaching each other what we know is important too. Keeping sanity, I always have a deck of waterproof cards in my survival kit. There's only so much you can talk about before you start biting each others heads off.

The trek would take approximately 3-4 months which is why I'm prepared for just about that amount of time. Theoretically my survival kit should be able to last us three, for up to 2-years but only in certain environments. Also in this kit there are two solar panels which can charge cellphones or walkie talkies. We wouldn't carry our cellphones around but the walkie talkies are great to find out if there are people within radius (try to avoid). It's also good as an emergency precaution in the event that we're forced to separate for a little bit. Each walkie talkie has their own headset. (in the future they will all have their own solar charger)

That's what I'd do if I had to survive in such an event. It's hard to say "don't turn back" but in survival, these decisions need to be made to well, have a higher chance on seeing another day. I hope such a scenario would never happen! I only practice survival out of the importance of knowing it in the event that.... But I don't actually expect something to happen. Preparedness is crucial for survival!
edit on 15-7-2012 by Em2013 because: added a comma

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by r2d246

I'd start walking towards Canada and avoid any civilization. Assuming invaders didn't get me, and the fallout didn't, I'd be fine.

I'm still gonna follow you and collect all the gear you drop

remember that exchange

join