Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Prayer Towels/Rugs/(Insert Name) - Real or Gimmicks?

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
You can turn on any late night tv, or radio program and hear a church or organization selling prayers towels. Are these a gimmick to get money, or is it real power behind these?

When looking at google, you can come up with this:

However, it is not the cloth that is responsible for the healing. Prayer cloths themselves are powerless. It is the faith of the Believer who receives the cloth that brings healing and comfort. That faith is in the power of prayer and ultimately in the healing power of God, symbolized by the cloth.

If there is no power in the cloth, why do churches/organizations sell them as being a form of power? Is it because a person just needs a security blanket, like that of a young child, or something else?

Another quote:

Prayer Cloths should not be offered at a cost and should always be given free. The Prayer Cloths here are more similar to the prayer shawls around the world. Prayer Cloths, like Prayer Shawls, are made in the same manner with a prayer in every stitch. Which unlike the scraps of cloth that are prayer cloths, the handmade prayer cloths have prayers "in" the stitches and therefore are "made" out of prayers! Prayer Cloths can be knitted, crocheted, loomed, or sewn.

If this is the case, why do they hold entire infomercials giving testimonials praising the power of the cloth?

Source: Prayer Cloths

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 15/7/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Umm, what do you think? No one will be able to answer it for you, because the answer is it's a load of crud.

While yu purchase your Prayer Towel, why not buy some Miracle Manna - when the ingredients come to gether it forms a supernatural food!!

Warning, the above video may cause hysterical laughter, but rest assured, it is a real video. A real con job too..

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Placebo Effect
2nd

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Whats the difference between a prayer cloth and a golden cross around your neck?

i'd say about 50$

pretty sure these are just another gimick to keep people hooked on the drug their sellin...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have a trunk load of prayer rags that Paul Crouch personally sneezed into when he had a bad cold. They are chocked full of his blessed dried boogs. I am willing to part with them cheap. If you want a blessing just let me know.

All that aside, these fakes are going to burn. They are probably G-men.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

So far every one that I ever got was a gimmick.

I don't believe in the institutionalized Church anymore.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I don't believe in the institutionalized Church anymore.

Do you still hold faith to Father?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

WOW This is a first. Miracle Manna ey ?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Yep. I still believe in Christ. I just don't associate with American churches.

They are fake.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by mainidh

WOW This is a first. Miracle Manna ey ?

Aye... mr popoff is 100% a not-for-prophet organisation.. lol

Have you seen his new porsche?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
When in doubt about a Christian idea or doctrine, look to the source... the Bible.

I have read the Bible... a few times over... no where do I recall needing a totem or cloth or relic to pray or talk with God or to get healing... the one exception being oil... olive oil.

The oil did not heal, but the act of or faith in following the instruction from God...did the healing. By following the instruction, we submit ourselves to God and His instruction or will. We basically say that it is not man that is the source of power, healing, strength, guidance, wisdom... but God.

The rags and other relics are mere money makers for false or misguided so-called Christians. Material things are not neccessary to receive the blessings of God.

Ye have not because ye ask not.... Seek and ye shall find.
edit on 14-7-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Aye... mr popoff is 100% a not-for-prophet organisation.. lol

Have you seen his new porsche?

There are probably 100 more like him in the world, feeding off the gullible for his own desires.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

The rags and other relics are mere money makers for false or misguided so-called Christians. Material things are not neccessary to receive the blessings of God.

Yes. I just hope that those who believe in these things, will find out the truth on what is, instead of freely giving their money away to these people. If a church is selling things, I would greatly worry about the message they are teaching as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If a towel reminds people to pray, may God bless their prayer. If a cross, toothpick, or deck of playing cards gives pause to consider Christ's gift of eternal life to those who accept them, then by all means they should play cards wearing their cross while having a toothpick in their mouth. I can see how a new believer may need these reminders, but when your spirit is as full as Saint Patrick's, surely none of these things wouldn't be necessary:

“Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.”

I wear a cross, but not for me. If everyone knew Christ, there would be no point in doing so.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yep. I still believe in Christ.

See you in heaven.

I just don't associate with American churches.

They are fake.

I don't remember meeting you at my church >_>

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

If a towel reminds people to pray, may God bless their prayer. If a cross, toothpick, or deck of playing cards gives pause to consider Christ's gift of eternal life to those who accept them, then by all means they should play cards wearing their cross while having a toothpick in their mouth.

This is something I did not think of. But, my problem lies in the churches doing whole infomercials or advertisements, putting these out as something that will get you money from the sky.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
This is something I did not think of.

Cool, thumbs up for ATS

Originally posted by jhill76
But, my problem lies in the churches doing whole infomercials or advertisements, putting these out as something that will get you money from the sky.

Yeah, I agree that would be false advertising, as many infomercials are. Will it turn someone who 'believes' away from their faith in Christianity? If they are seeking money to fall from the sky, where was their heart in the first place? As for the seller, I would not want to have to face God and explain how I accrued earthly wealth by peddling goods promised to curry His favour. Well, according to this, there's nothing new under the sun:

"So he (Jesus) made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, “Get these out of here! Stop turning my Father’s house into a market!” His disciples remembered that it is written: “Zeal for your house will consume me.” John 2:15-17
edit on 15-7-2012 by saint4God because: grammar

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

If they are seeking money to fall from the sky, where was their heart in the first place?

True. It seems many churches feed off this to support their own desires.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This is not new, it is just like the relic industry of the middle ages. Real Christianity does not rely on gimmicks, and those who hawk them, behold, they have their reward. Real believers should turn away, shred any junk mail arriving from such people, and avoid their TV and radio broadcasts. Sound doctrine does not come from there.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
No power is actually derived from the prayer towels/rugs etc. and that isn't being advertised. Churches sell them to make money, they have to pay bills too ya know
edit on 20-7-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join