It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA approves 'Agent Orange' pesticide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The Environmental Protection Agency has refused a petition that aimed to ban the sale of a powerful pesticide linked with cancer — and while already available, a surge in sales is expected as scientists ready a new crop resistant to the chemical. Not only has the EPA rejected a petition that sought to prohibit the domestic sale of the dangerous 2,4-D pesticide — a key ingredient in Agent Orange — but the main manufacturer of the chemical predicts that sales will skyrocket in the coming months. The reason, it would seem, is that Dow Chemicals is awaiting federal approval of a genetically engineered crop they’ve created that will be resistant to 2,4-D

I am sickend by this, it breaks my heart because my children and thier childrens children will surely be affected by this. These major corperations are ruining our earth and our health and we are letting them do it.
All you have to do is google images of agent orange and you will see how badly the birth defects are.

rt.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

this cant be happening,
this must be joke

dioxine safe for food wtf

is the epa gone eugenicist?

the world is backwards

xploder

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
REALLY what the F****.

its like there isn't anything we can do about it.

it hurts so much.

there has to be something we can do!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is the same EPA that says cow "emissions" in Wyoming need to be monitored in order to to achieve an "attainment state" with federal ozone standards!?

trib.com...

Meanwhile, Monsanto and Dow are destroying our food and water with impunity.

that isn't for sale!

edit on 13-7-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I don't know what we can do, in the mean time I am letting as many people as I can know about these evil companies. I am about to do some writing and sending my info to newspapers to let people aware of whats going on. It bothers me so much.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Very misleading title.

The petition wanted to ban all products using 2,4-d as an active constituent, which is completely unreasonable since 2,4-d is the most widely used pesticide in the world and has been used since the 40's...

2,4,5-T is the now banned and extremely toxic ingredient for Agent Orange, 2,4-d is deemed safe providing it is used appropriately.

Perhaps if people used the product the way it is meant to and use proper PPE, then it wouldn't be such a problem...

edit on 13/7/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

mmmmmmmmmmm safe like bt wont enter the blood stream gmo? but we promised !!!!!
or the super duper strong herbicide for gmos that destroy your kidneys !!!!!!!!

it would not at all surprise me if they just started using drain cleaner

xploder

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

providing it is used appropriately.

Therein lies the problem

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I may get in trouble for saying this,

but.... someone should just go torch the monsanto crops and screw up their whole experiments, then they wouldn't have a reason to spray any 2,4-D...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Nobody in their right mind should touch that stuff, 245d, 245t or MCPA unless they have a positive way of testing for Dioxins themselves, there is too much that gets under the radar with contaminated foodstuffs and feeds, and they are especially singled out for testing for Dioxins. The use of 'agent orange' in Vietnam was gross negligence, akin to chemical warfare directly against the population, but who was to say then or now?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

A 50:50 mixture of 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D, it was manufactured for the U.S. Department of Defense primarily by Monsanto Corporation and Dow Chemical. The 2,4,5-T used to produce Agent Orange was later discovered to be contaminated with 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzodioxin, an extremely toxic dioxin compound

The Dioxin came from the 2,4,5-T

2,4-D has been in use a long time. They are not removing it, they are not making it now unavailable. Nothing new.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

providing it is used appropriately.

Therein lies the problem

That is the problem, and it goes back all those years of manufacture, and was, and is being used extensively it's not just now. It's the dioxin impurites from the manufacturing process, the way it is handled and distributed, and monitored. In the UK government departments had all herbicides and weedkillers at their disposal, I don't think they use 245T anymore, MCPA is though. I know the department I was in, I was able to get any 245T returned, that was in the 70's/80's so it was not used in my locale after. Background naturally occuring dioxins the boffins tell us are deemed safe, in their low concentrations, and again that's the problem, who's going to monitor the whole countryside inch by inch for a buildup of dioxins from any source.

Anyone care to read this about the great monitoring system, (including some EPA findings) the missing 50% is a good one,

www.ejnet.org...

More reading,

www.manton.eu.com...

publications.environment-agency.gov.uk...

The UK EA pdf sounds reassuring, until you consider how low a level Dioxins need to be toxic.
edit on 14-7-2012 by smurfy because: Links.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The problem with the agent orange wasn't the 2-7-D or somewhat more toxic 2-4-5-T it is that dioxin was alaso produced as a side reaction that made 2-4-5-T. The dioxin is almost impossible to seperate enough from the herbacides to make them safe.
edit on 14-7-2012 by eywadevotee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eywadevotee
The problem with the agent orange wasn't the 2-7-D or somewhat more toxic 2-4-5-T it is that dioxin was alaso produced as a side reaction that made 2-4-5-T. The dioxin is almost impossible to seperate enough from the herbacides to make them safe.
edit on 14-7-2012 by eywadevotee because: (no reason given)

Dioxins are produced in a variety of industrial proccesses including all of the above you mention, agent orange got additional treatment, and produced even more dioxins, and dioxin-like substances. If you read the links I posted above will make it clearer. Here's another,

www.gascape.org...

More than that, we have already got many toxins stored in our body fat, and nobody but nobody, knows the full effects of more toxins coming into the body and adding to the cocktail. I thought I should add, notwithstanding the accumulating of different toxins in the body, the EPA itself has reported that most of us are nearly full' but not quite, of dioxins as it is,

One of the most striking findings of the report is the significance of what past dioxin exposures may mean for public health. The report identifies levels of dioxin in the human body referred to as the "body burden. According to EPA, some adverse effects of dioxins occur at levels slightly above average body burden levels currently found in the population and that,
"as body burdens increase within and above this range, the probability and severity as well as the spectrum of human non-cancer effects most likely will increase."
edit on 14-7-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Karma is watching.

There are many who will run afoul of it soon.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This is the same EPA that said the Air quality was safe in NY right after the twin towers fell.... Since that day, I will NEVER trust the EPA ever again... People are STILL dying due to the air quality being bad that day and the EPA said it was fine, no masks needed...

top topics

join