It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternal Torment In Hell

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Many whom are not of the faith, and many who are, seem to state: If you don't do what God says to do, you will burn in hell forever. But, this is simply not in the Word.

As it is written:
Rev. 20:10

And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

It only states the beast and the false prophet is tormented, not man.

Go back a few decades, and you saw preachers and pastors preaching hell fire and brimstone, to keep people in line. But, this doesn't keep people in line, it actually turns many off from the faith.

Jesus spoke of many times in which you can have eternal life. But, it was either life or death, never eternal torment.

Luke 13:3

I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

John 10:28

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

So, if you don't burn in hell forever, where do you actually go?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Later in Revelation it says that all those who accepted the mark were also thrown in where the beast was thrown.

But of course, this is the same book that says "the stars in the sky fell to the earth" or something like that so it's not exactly a credible source of information.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I, not being a man of faith, always wonder how an all loving god could cast his children into eternal damnation.

Seems a little off.

I have come to believe all the hell stuff was added way back as a method to control the masses. It just doesn't fit with Jesus and all that.

Either everyone goes to heaven or no-one does. I like it, very fair. I mean, I don't believe, but I wouldn't want to miss out!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Later in Revelation it says that all those who accepted the mark were also thrown in where the beast was thrown.

Correct, but, it only states that the beast and false prophet will be tormented, it doesn't specify what happens to man.
- Are there thoughts/sins thrown into the fire?
- Is it the body that is thrown?
- Is it the soul?

Surely, a body can't burn forever. Also, how can fire affect a spirit?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bias12

Either everyone goes to heaven or no-one does. I like it, very fair. I mean, I don't believe, but I wouldn't want to miss out!

Do you think the ones who didn't make it, have to come back to Earth or another place and learn from their mistakes? Could this be why the end hasn't happened yet?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Christians are greatly mistaken on this, BUT ultimately it doesnt matter to a christian, they are saved...

But its Soul death, its the second annihilation at Judgement day, its not eternal torment, thats for the Angels that rebeled, not people.
edit on 13-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The whole concept of Hell is a contradiction of logic. If GOD made MAN then GOD made Man's Ability to perform acts of EVIL. Freewill cannot be used as a defense as an analogy would be...I invent a machine that is flawed and due to this flaw...a certain percentage of these machines have the ability to explode.

Now who is at fault?

The Person who uses the Machine....or the Creator of the Machine?

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

No I think either everyone "made it" so to speak, unlikely but I'm willing to be proved wrong, or, death is just the end of life, the termination of our biological existence.

From what I gather on God and what not, it really would be an everyone join the party in heaven deal. I mean if god forgives everyone and loves everyone why would someone not get in. It would be cruel, and whatever jesus may have been, cruel he probably wasn't.

If everyone goes to heaven, then hitler, mau and reagan will all be around there, it would be pretty cool. Imagine the debates! If everyone doesn't go, then we just wink out of existence forever, that's fine too.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bias12

No I think either everyone "made it" so to speak, unlikely but I'm willing to be proved wrong, or, death is just the end of life, the termination of our biological existence.

If this is the case, why did Jesus come? Just to tell everyone how to live, or something else?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The whole concept of Hell is a contradiction of logic. If GOD made MAN then GOD made Man's Ability to perform acts of EVIL.

Understandable. But, if I made my child, and he robbed a bank, am I responsible, or the child?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

If your child did such a thing, would you not wonder where such blame lies? I would blame myself more than I blame them. If I taught them better, they would not do such a thing. Would I punish them for my #ty teaching? No.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

If there was a Jesus I don't think "come" is the right word. "Why was he specifically written of?" Is better I think

If Jesus was a god, he might have come for a look around, to see what was going on in the middle east at that time, in person.

If he was just a man, then he was probably just a priest who broke away from mainstream jewishness through disillusionment.

I don't like to think of jesus doing all the tricks/spells, like hell, i think it was added later for effect.
edit on 13-7-2012 by bias12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Would I punish them for my #ty teaching? No.

For your teaching no, but what about the act?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by jhill76

If your child did such a thing, would you not wonder where such blame lies? I would blame myself more than I blame them. If I taught them better, they would not do such a thing. Would I punish them for my #ty teaching? No.

If my child ever robs a bank I will be super pissed, and would have to think of some crazy mega punishments to enact...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
how about the parable of the rich man and lazerous? huuummmm?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
how about the parable of the rich man and lazerous? huuummmm?

Please, explain your thought further on this.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

If I taught them better, then there would be no act.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by jhill76

If I taught them better, then there would be no act.

Understood. But, many can argue, you did the best you could, and the child still paved his own path.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
religion started when man philosophized and studied the stars, all monotheistic religions merge from polytheistic religions. Before deciding on where we originate from we must find where our thoughts originate from and who influences our everyday life or fall prey to a parasite.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The whole concept of Hell is a contradiction of logic. If GOD made MAN then GOD made Man's Ability to perform acts of EVIL.

Understandable. But, if I made my child, and he robbed a bank, am I responsible, or the child?

That is my point. Genetics plus environment plus amount of education=What a persons disposition is.

I am a Man who LOVES PEACE yet I am Trained as well as having a Moral Flexibility to...if needed for the Greater Good...perform acts of EXTREME VIOLENCE.

Now...where does this ability come from and do I worry about HELL....HELL NO!

The ability comes from my Genetic Makeup...My Upbringing...My Education and Training...and my FREEWILL!

This is why there are too many variables to condemn an individual to eternal damnation for an Evil Event.

In your question....You are to blame..You Child is to blame...Your Genetic Code that was passed on by both you and your spouse is to blame as well as any Training or Education or Experience that may have traumatized or disillusioned the child. Too many variables to blame any one source. Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join