It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swearing should be allowed on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Im not hurt or offended and not even angry. Its my own failure to understand why some people have smart mouths and bad attitudes. This is the first discussion and last discussion board im trying out. I dont chat, email or anything along that line. I own a business and talk to a average of 80 to 100 people daily. Im going to log out after I post this and will continue to read here . I prefer face to face conversation....

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Much of this site is more detrimental to the mental health of the young than profanity could ever be.
The endless procession of doomsday threads, Nibiru, alien invasion. TPTB poisioning our air, water, food, planing a future of mass depopulation. Evil lurking at every turn.
this site is not a site for kids period.
The subjects and ideas presented here on a daily basis could have a profoundly negative impact on a forming mind. Far more so than some curse words ever could.

In my opinion ATS should be a strictly 18+ community. Adults discussing adult topics in a way that adults do.
Let the kids have fun and enjoy life a bit before fearing every dastardly turn of events.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
In my opinion ATS should be a strictly 18+ community. Adults discussing adult topics in a way that adults do.
Let the kids have fun and enjoy life a bit before fearing every dastardly turn of events.

You know, I couldn't agree more with you. Not only do I know plenty of adults who I can plainly see have a hard time maintaining perspective on life's little challenges, but there have been 2 kids since I joined that I'm honestly not sure did something to themselves or not. Depressed threads come and go, but those two stand out by the singular obsession and laser like intesnsity on doom and specific aspects. Total hopelessness would be accurate, which I suppose is what someone would feel being hip deep in these topics and not staying grounded.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Oh? And how do you propose we go about proving our ages upon sign up? A credit card? A copy of a birth certificate? A drivers license? There's no way I'd give any of that information to a message board.That's really all ATS is.
edit on 13-7-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Oh? And how do you propose we go about proving our ages upon sign up? A credit card? A copy of a birth certificate? A drivers license? There's no way I'd give any of that information to a message board.That's really all ATS is.

I don't propose to have a solution, or even a method, just a thought on the subject. I agree with you in the premiss that age verification on the net is a tough thing to accomplish. I guess I am just thinking wishfully outloud really. I don't have an answer to the potential problem aside from parental involvement in a childs activities.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mckeesport

you have freedom of speech
just rise above their level
and return the insult

it's much more creative to call someone a coprolith
than referring to them as a POS

may well get you stars instead of a ban and losing points

and will make the kiddies run for the dictionary
edit on 14-7-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

I don't propose to have a solution, or even a method, just a thought on the subject. I agree with you in the premiss that age verification on the net is a tough thing to accomplish. I guess I am just thinking wishfully outloud really. I don't have an answer to the potential problem aside from parental involvement in a childs activities.

I know that personally if I had to provide anything like that I wouldn't have joined here.I understand what you are saying though,but realistically there's just no real way to go about it.But you're dead on about parental involvement.That's what it comes down to. As a parent myself,I'd rather my daughter perused this site then many others out there.Of course,shes' only 5,but you get my point.

edit on 14-7-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I understand where you are coming from. The attacks lately have been quite fierce. The moderation, at least from my vantage point seems to be either lacking or overworked. I do enjoy coming to read and not have to put up with the cussing. And I am a Marine and cuss worse than a sailor but it does nothing as far as anyones credibility. Those who have to cuss to get their point across just aren't clever enough. Professionalism is what I like about this website and is is a bit off as of late. Hopefully after this winter things will even out and true discussion can begin again, but until 12/21/12 we are going to have to put up with the nonsense. And if we are wrong than it just does not matter.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I can see your point, some words people take more offense to words than others, and regardless it is only those who can't debate both intelligently and civilly that resort to such words. You just need to rise above them and don't bite back, as hard as it is to do sometimes, and no matter how tempting it is to throw a reply back.
If they persist , report them. Yes, the mods do have alot of work here and sometimes it isn't instant, but all else fails that's what the Mods are here for.

As for allowing profanity, fighting fire with fire just creates more fire, if you know what I mean.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Do people actually read a post or just the title?

Op specifically said this,

I do not actually think profanity should be allowed here on ATS.

I don't think any poster on the first page actually got what he was saying, and it was pretty clear.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Although I believe in freedom of speech, I really think that profanity should be left out in an argument on this site, if you really want people to take you seriously, its somewhat of a gray area, but I dont want to be reading someones post, and be trying to digest that material only to be derailed by stupid comments. it doesnt help anymore to get your point across, if anything it just sets you back

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

edit on 14-7-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
theres times profanity is appropriate ... however it is not suitable nor conducive to carrying on a civil intelligent conversation ... only shows lack of ability to think ....

yes am guilty of using profanity in several languages at times as am a cynical , grouchy old man thats seen far to much of humanity at its worst over the years I try hard to keep civil at times which can be done - or I go offline and grab a cuppa tea and relax ...

it has no place here on ats ... in regard to being called names so what doesnt mean a thing ... been called every name in the book then some over the years ...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I dont agree about allowing profanity however, I have noticed how recently there has been an abundance of nasty one liners that do nothing other than disrupt the thread, insult the OP, or in some cases almost seem threatening.

A one liner that was posted in one of my own threads caused me to look at the posters last 5 posts.

What do you think would happen if you went into a psychiatric unit talking about flying saucers?
That was posted in the thread I started.

So I looked at the posters last 5 posts and found the following, Each line represents the entirety of that posters participation in each thread.

Maybe the $50 dollar bill was made up and this guy wrote it

What do you think would happen if you went into a psychiatric unit talking about flying saucers?

A psychiatric ward is probably the place where they test out some of this new technology think about it.. there is nobody that can see in the "isolation" room

Do you think there are government people in psychiatric wards?

Three of the five posts contain the words "psychiatric wards?" or "psychiatric unit".
Personaly I think theres a psyops program targeting ATS.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Profanity as a requirement to civil and intelligent debate?

I think not.

I understand the OP, in RL I swear like a sailor, it's part of my daily venacular. However things carry over in speech far better than they do in a written format. It's not that profanity does not have it's place in conversation, it simply has no place in a place like ATS.

Look at the various forums we have such as the Debate Forum. Do you see any profanity there? Do you see how these debates are some of the highest quality content on ATS regarding a multitude of topics?

They are that way because they were written thoughtfully, with poise and tact. Not because we just inserted whatever brain fart word came to mind because we could not be bothered to find the correct set of required to get our meaning or intent accross.

The personal attacks you mention, are just that, attacks. What difference would it make if we allowed you to use profanity? They would be ill-mannered and rude posts regardless and would be subsequently removed.

Profanity has no place in a real time discussion forum that wants to promote civil discourse. And I agree that's not always the case with some members and some threads, however that is the staff's job to handle, not yours to worry about.

You alert the content that violates the T&C and we will deal with it. Your only job is to come here and take part in the community as you have been.

~Tenth

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The personal attacks you mention, are just that, attacks. What difference would it make if we allowed you to use profanity? They would be ill-mannered and rude posts regardless and would be subsequently removed.

Even the mods don't seem to read.

The OP is not arguing that profanity should be allowed here.

He even started his post with this,

Due to a misunderstanding of the point I am trying to convey, I do not actually think profanity should be allowed here on ATS. I am stating that it might as well be in comparison in regards to the rise in personal attacks by some people that do not agree or share your view,

He is arguing that the personal attacks, even though they don't contain profanity, are so bad that they might aswell contain profanity.

It is really annoying, to me at least, to see 2 pages of people responding by saying that profanity should not be allowed, it is not the point the OP was making.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Oh fornicating Hades. This copulating P.C. is really starting to kick my sphincter. It feels like the whole procreating world is afraid to breeding say whats on their mind. Everyones mind is on the trash-tip but we all pretend to dance around with halos on our heads. Like I tell my kids, you worry about you, for for unlawful carnal knowledge sakes.
edit on 14-7-2012 by ezekielken because: typo

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TraitorKiller

I addressed that issue regarding personal attacks. I read his OP.

Regardless of how they are written, a personal attack is just that. Pleas alert those posts so they may be dealt with.

ATS has no control over what is posted until after the fact.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And yes, personal attacks are lame and cowardly. quite easy to pull off when hiding behind a computer screen though.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mckeesport

I agree, to some extent, but sometimes there are people that post such crap so I can not blame the trolls for mocking them. There are a few idiots on here that I myself want to slap. The Ones that say "Pictures or it didn't happen"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join