It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California legalizes hands-free texting while driving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
California legalizes hands-free texting while driving

California Friday legalized hands-free texting and email while driving using voice-operated technology, with Governor Jerry Brown signing Assembly Bill 1536 into law. It takes effect Jan. 1. "Today marks a huge victory for drivers as this bill will allow Californians to communicate safely and responsibly while on the road," said the bill's author, Assemblyman Jeff Miller, R-Orange County, in a statement issued when the bill went to the governor's desk.

This is just stupid. If it is important enough that you have to text or email then pull your butt to the side of the road and do it. Most people on the road can barely drive as it is they don't need even more distractions.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I agree. I'd think ones mind would be on what they're trying to say instead of driving and then how do you check for mistakes in the ''text''?

I don't like this at all. There is ZERO reason EVER to put 'text' and 'while driving' together in any sentence, be it 'hands free' or not. The only reason to use those in the same sentence is if you say NO text while driving.

Pull over. I agree.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Why shouldn't we be able to talk and drive at the same time?

When done correctly, this is no different from having a hands free conversation on the phone or with a person in the passenger seat.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I think this is good. People have been talking while driving ever since cars were invented. What this does is stop the police from stopping you for speaking in your car. Sounds good to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
How do you text hands-free.....?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Oh Great... Have you seen some of the kids these days who can speed txt one handed? I can't type that fast with both hands...and I type a good number. I really do NOT want those or any other people learning a whole new approach through the car equivalent of Dragon Naturally Speaking for voice control. I can just see the problems in constantly LOOKING at the screen to make sure it got the transcription correct and didn't choke on noise or something. Texting was better!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

With your voice, like the article said.

Hands free texting I'd imagine is similar to hands free talking. I've never used it so I'm not sure. It just boggles me why they would legalize any form of texting while driving. Maybe since people will do it anyway the fact that hands free is legal would push them to do that over conventional texting? Both are dangerous but maybe hands free is a bit safer. That's one reason I could think of. I still don't think it's right.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Going to have to agree also. I don't really know how speech to text works with phones, never tried it but I would think that people will wind up focusing more on the message as the computer attempts in vain to understand what is being said. T9 is bad enough sometimes, gotten me in trouble on occasion.

I'm OK with hands free calling, as others stated it's pretty much the same as talking to someone else in the car. It's when you have to break concentration (making sure phone is spelling correctly etc.) that I worry.

Also had a weird smudge on screen, made it look like poster I'm responding to had 6 fingers. Yikes!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Can we give California back to Mexico now?
222222222222222nd

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

step one have a smart phone,step two calibrate your voice to it,step 3(for my phone at least) say the key word that turns on the program that lets you text for me it is "shabam" followed by a recipient. for example shabam text amanda im on my way see you in 5 it will (assuming calibrated correctly) put what you say into a text message and automatically send your verbal message via text to the recipient named (least on android phones) kinda nifty works for call to if you set it up correctly

program i use is voice dialer and it came with my phone the calibration thing is key and its best to do it in an area with out sounds oh and pick a word that isn't used all the time(hence shabam) other wise it can and will send messages or call people at the wrong time
edit on 13-7-2012 by KilrathiLG because: clarify a point

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Almost every time I try to talk to text it totally distorts what I am saying, and the messages come out as "I please bring the sheets" when I said " stop by please and bring the shoes"... maybe it's my accent. But that drives me crazy when I'm driving and I usually have to say I'm using the talk to text feature.

I think the law is good, but I wouldn't even have thought it was needed b/c you are talking... but I guess since it was technically a text it was illegal??

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I can see this as an attempt to reach a compromise. People do text while driving and will continue to do so no matter what the law is. This will be one less issue that ties up law enforcement time and resources.

Updated, 8:25 p.m. ET: A representative from the assemblyman's office explained that the bill "was not crafted to apply to phones," but rather to allow in-dash navigation and messaging systems to be operated within the law.

Sounds like this only applies to in-dash communications/navigation and not handheld devices.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by dayve

step one have a smart phone,step two calibrate your voice to it,step 3(for my phone at least) say the key word that turns on the program that lets you text for me it is "shabam" followed by a recipient. for example shabam text amanda im on my way see you in 5 it will (assuming calibrated correctly) put what you say into a text message and automatically send your verbal message via text to the recipient named (least on android phones) kinda nifty works for call to if you set it up correctly

I'm gonna have to finagle with that, I have an android so I'll try it out. If thats the case it doesnt seem like it would distract people from driving. People worry too damn much

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

for me it is "shabam"

You are awesomeness wrapped in bacon.

M'kay I've been convinced to try this now. I had a phone many moons ago that claimed it was capable, but I think the sultry dulcet tones coming out of my mouth were to much for it. Never worked. Trying on Android now.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Yeah, no big deal. It texts through your voice and reads texts to you as they come in. I see some members desperately need the state to tell them what to do.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
Why shouldn't we be able to talk and drive at the same time?

When done correctly, this is no different from having a hands free conversation on the phone or with a person in the passenger seat.

Have you ever used voice recognition software? It's pathetic and inaccurate. They will spend more time correcting mistakes than watching the road.

This is a fundamentally wrong legislation. If you have to have a licence to drive a car, and then it is allowed that you can text and drive, then structure this into the test.

There are enough idiots on the road as it is, this will simply create more death... and now without recourse for the actions taken by the driver who kills.

"I did not mean to kill the victim, your honour. I was texting at the time."
"Case closed, innocent."

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
Yeah, no big deal. It texts through your voice and reads texts to you as they come in. I see some members desperately need the state to tell them what to do.

More like we need such laws to protect people from idiots that would text while driving.

That's a bad thing?

If it ever comes to pass as law here and some fool kills someone I know and does so while texting or using a mobile, I'll ignore the law and seek vengeance of my own undertaking.

Maybe then they can create a law that says anyone who takes the life of someone guilty of texting while driving and it results in death, can also be legally acknowledged and found innocent.

Why not?

We're going so far backward in society that we may as well start using clubs and spears..

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I love to steer with my knee, while writing down notes with one free hand and eat a meal on the go
with the otherhand. Then when a txt comes in while im in heavy traffic i can put down my pen and txt
with my thumb..

Yes I have done that.. but nowdays it is easy enough to do it hands free as my SUV has a linked
phone which will do anything i need it to, including send txts via voice command.. with full attention
to the road. So nice of them to make it easy for me

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

More like we need such laws to protect people from idiots that would text while driving.

The idiots are going to do it anyways and texting while driving is illegal but this bill makes HANDS FREE texting legal which is the same as talking...

If it ever comes to pass as law here and some fool kills someone I know and does so while texting or using a mobile, I'll ignore the law and seek vengeance of my own undertaking.

You realize that hands free texting is not the same as texting right? You are basically just talking.

Maybe then they can create a law that says anyone who takes the life of someone guilty of texting while driving and it results in death, can also be legally acknowledged and found innocent.

Why not?

We're going so far backward in society that we may as well start using clubs and spears..

Wow.. The level of ignorance is off the charts. I love how you are talking about revenge killing then that society is moving backwards

new topics

top topics

join