It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sage Stallone found dead at 36

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
remember Randy Savage...a Jeep crash and heart attack ?

www.cbsnews.com...

SNIP:

Savage's autopsy also found traces of alcohol and hydrocodone (Vicodin).
But the examiner's office says that didn't contribute to the crash.
His blood alcohol level was well below the legal limit at 0.031, and the medicine in his blood was at a non-abusive "therapeutic levels," according to the Times.

whom can we trust any more... oxy is so prevelent in the culture that the examiner dissed off the fact that both alcohol & Vicodin were in his system, saying the ammount was negligible (in his own experience)...
to me, just the fact that the substances were in his blood would rule out that a heart attack was the sole cause of his death..

.most likely the painkiller was a direct cause for the heart attack....making his heart pump faster than it would have without the Oxy & alcohol mixed in

the nation/society is still in the state of denial imho

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I am a paramedic who routinely treats opiate overdoses and the fault lies both with doctors and patients.
During my experience as a medic, I have discovered some astonishing things about the mentality of patients: 1) an irrational belief that they should never experience the slightest twinge of pain, ever, even if they are 99 years old. At the first suggestion of discomfort they run to the doctor aggressively demanding painkillers. I have overheard patients threatening doctors with lawsuits when the doctor tactfully suggested that mild exercise was a better treatment for their arthritis/back pain than dangerous narcotics. (2) Amazing ignorance of their own bodies and medical conditions and drugs. Nurses spend a huge amount of time explaining a patient's medical condition with them and teaching the proper use of prescription drugs. They also perform "medication reconciliation", which is trying to list all the drugs the patient is taking and making sure there are no interactions or other concerns. Patients completely blow this off, ignore the nurse, and walk out knowing nothing about serious conditions and dangerous drugs.
On the doctor's side, government interference and fear of lawsuits dictate treatment. Doctors are told they must throw out decades of training and experience and follow the government's "cookbook protocols", which of course demand pills and more pills over other therapies. If a patient says they have pain, a doctor runs the risk of a lawsuit if they do not prescribe pain meds. Some patients are sophisticated enough to claim "allergies" to ibuprofen, aspirin, and anything else that is NOT an addictive narcotic. Doctor-shopping patients put a physician in a bind- they barely know the patient's history, but by letting them in the office, the doctors are now exposed to lawsuits if they don't follow protocol and hand over the pills. No wonder so many doctors are ready to quit practicing.
The best cure for these problems is for people to get over their belief in magic pills and instantaneous cures. They must accept responsibility for their health- seriously, I see diabetics eating sugar by the pound and getting their legs amputated- they don't care. They feel they should do what they want and then expect the doctor to "fix it". When a doctor tells a patient the reason they feel short of breath is because they have a 150lb slab of fat on their chest, the doctor should not get sued for telling the truth.
I find it amusing that people will not believe a doctor who tells them proper diet and exercise will help them, but will accept as gospel truth a 30 second advertisement from a pharmaceutical company pushing a product.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
I know here in Florida that would be very tricky. If you have an old bottle, you would not get your new bottle. Dates are now checked very carefully by doctors on the up and up. If you have an old bottle rolling around, that means you are doing something wrong. Get pulled over with an bottle that does not have the correct date, you are going to have some explaining to do.
I am not sure what other state laws are. Here in Florida, if you get a new script, you have to bring in your old bottles, or you wont get filled.
But lets face facts on the other hand.. People have old bottles, and do employ that trick. But is a very weak loop hole, and if you have the money, you can get out of trouble. But it will cost you.
Nothing just black and white about this whole topic, it varies in every state, and with every enforcement agency you would deal with. Lots of criminals in places of power, and law who are pulling the strings here.
I wish it was cut and dry simple.. But its not.

I wont argue the well put point you made about the hypocrisy on bottles of pills vs some green.. it is absolutely ridiculous, I agree 100%.
edit on 14-7-2012 by zysin5 because: 1.1

Doctors are not being all that careful. They will always check dates on bottles and what not, but they have no issue with handing them out. The issue is... pain can not be measured. No one but the user knows when it is too much pain and medication is needed. Using my condition as an example, I suffer from plantar fibromatosis, I can go to ANY doctor and get a prescription for pain pills. They will pile me up and give me instructions to take one every 4 hours as needed for pain. The thing is... I am not always in pain. I have always had a high pain threshold, and being involved in sports, bmx racing, and martial arts as a younger man I was always injured in some way. So pain for me is just normal, so I can literally go months without needing to take a pill.... so with that in mind let's do some math...

I can get a script of 50 pills for roughly $40.00. Now if 50 pills can last me a full year because I am not always in pain... well, if I was inclined to do so I could just take 25 to work with me and sell them for $5.00 each. Rest assured, it wouldnt matter where you work. Prescription drugs are not looked upon like "illegal" drugs. So I could easily make $125.00 and still have more than enough pills for myself. Subtract the $40 for cost, and I got my meds for free and I still make a profit, and the thing is such actions like this are common. No one really calls it "drug dealing" and this type of action happens from Grandma who had a kidney stone issue to Joe the cook who just had his wisdom teeth pulled out. I have seen Dentist hand out a 50 count bottle of pain pills for one wisdom tooth being pulled. The user usually takes 5 pills over two days and his pain is gone. So what do you think he will do with the other 45?

I think you may have misunderstood my post a bit, I was referring to more of a strictly legal view and the fact is police are a very different matter. Some States cops are smarter, in others not so much. That being said, it is very easy to be let go by an Officer if you are carrying prescription drugs. Anything else- kiss your butt goodbye.

So the way I see it, THAT is part of the reason why prescription drug use has absolutely exploded in this Country. It is easy to get.. and even if you are caught it is easy to walk away with no charge.

Several years ago I was arrested for DUI in the State of South Carolina (no I was not drunk but that's another story). When I was being booked and turning in my possessions at the jail, I had one single Loritab in my pocket. I always took one with me to work, due to a condition I have with my feet. I did not have a prescription. When I pulled it out of my pocket the Officer asked me what it was. I told him and then I lied and said, "I have a prescription at home I just dont take the whole bottle to work with me, just one in case I need it for pain."

He never questioned me. He never said a word. He didn't even take it from me, I was allowed to keep it.

Now if it had been ANY other kind of drug..... it would have been confiscated, I would have been given an additional charge. You can not even keep tobacco products in a South Carolina jail. Alcohol? Don't even think about it. Marijuana, coc aine, xtc, lsd, meth, whatever- I would have been charged. Prescription drug? No problem, keep it or ingest it.... and I had no script or any proof of having a script. It simply was not questioned.

This is the reality of prescription drugs today.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Op thanks for bringing this story to ATS as this is my main source for news.

You are so right.... On all levels and I agree.

The pharm. companies are the drug dealers and there is no reason why DR.s should feel the need to be pushers too. Its a disgrace! Everyone I know it seems is addicted to this pill or that one. Sad!

They love to dumb us down though.... Make money....so, no surprise its great for our leaders!

Why would they change anything?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by getreadyalready

Tell you what, there are only two countries in the world that allow drug companies to advertize on TV. One is the US. We are quickly becoming a slave to drugs, due to this crap. It is scary how much prescription drug use has increased in the last 20 years. We are quickly becoming addicted to drugs, frankenfoods and mindless entertainment.

Up here in canada, we have a huge problem with pain killers. They are overprescribed, and crazy # like oxies. More addictive than heroin.... We need to change the trend for the next generation sake.

Are you sad? Pop this pill. Are you shy? Pop this pill. Are you grieving? Pop this pill. It's insanity!

And another thing I need to add...... For every member of congress and senate, there are at least 4 drug lobbiests in DC. If that is not a political problem, I don't know what is.

Also, we only really hear about the problem when stuff happens to someone famous. There are plenty of regular joes that killed themself after being put on antidepressants for example. Only a drop of water in the ocean.
edit on Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:27:12 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

Thank you for saying what I've also been saying...it's VERY political! Do we really believe drug companies operate as a separate entity from the government? Always about the almighty dollar!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rourke

I'm just working backwards and catching up from last night.

1) an irrational belief that they should never experience the slightest twinge of pain, ever, even if they are 99 years old. At the first suggestion of discomfort they run to the doctor aggressively demanding painkillers. I have overheard patients threatening doctors with lawsuits when the doctor tactfully suggested that mild exercise was a better treatment for their arthritis/back pain than dangerous narcotics.

Yes, I've seen these threats as well, and I've seen patients try to file complaints with the state agencies and write letters to all the state offices when they can't get their pills. Usually the doctors know that it is bogus and they won't cater to those idle threats, but it does show the mentality of the patients. They think the doctors are supposed to give them whatever they want, and a lot of times they learned this behavior from bad doctors doing exactly that.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I can get a script of 50 pills for roughly $40.00. Now if 50 pills can last me a full year because I am not always in pain... well, if I was inclined to do so I could just take 25 to work with me and sell them for $5.00 each.

Try more like $12 to $20 a piece!

You could easily take half your pills, sell the other half, make several hundred dollars, and go back to your doc and get a refill, and not only that, but the longer you do this, the more pills, stronger pills, and more frequent refills the doctor could justify based on your history. Even if the doctor is drug testing you to make sure you are taking the pills and not just selling them, as long as you are consistently taking some of them, you'll pass the tests.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Why is this even newsworthy? Some stars kid drops dead happens to people across the country all the time why isn't it reported. He was obviously too weak to survive and this is just natures way of thinning out the herd.
edit on 14-7-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

That is usually my take on these stories, and if it had been heroin or crack I would agree with you 100%, but the prescription drug menace is real, and it has nothing to do with being weak or being a star. It should be on the news a lot more, you're right about that! It should be on the news in every town, every night, tallying up all the deaths that particular day from prescription drug overdoses. If it were, and if everyone had the data I have, then people would be appalled and in an outrage!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

few years ago My lower back locked up and I couldn't walk. I went to the doctor and all they did was give some sort of muscle relaxer and pain relief. I took the muscle relaxers and was sick as a dog. My mood changed and I was very loopy. My heart was all messed up and I really felt like i was going to die.

To top it off the relaxers did nothing to make my back better and i was walking like a 85 yr old man with severe arthritis. I then went to a chiropractor and he set me straight in less than 15minutes.

screw modern medicine, they want to fix everything with a pill.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

Yes, exactly. Instead of telling us to stretch, or get massage, or physical therapy, or lose a few pounds, or detox from the metals and phosphates that aggravate our joints, instead of finding the root cause, they just mask the symptoms with pills.

I've noticed when I eat clean, my joints stop popping, and my lower back stops hurting. When I start eating a lot of processed foods and soft drinks again, the first thing I notice is restless sleep, then lower back pain, and then popping joints. It is an obvious correlation, but I'm still not bright enough to stay on the clean diet permanently. My doctor is a very good doctor, and he does offer up all the great advice that he should, but he is also more than willing to give me a muscle-relaxer, pain killer, and arthritis medicine for inflammation.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I think doctors are"encouraged" in some manner to make prescriptions.
edit on 14-7-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cocraine
Wait how exactly is his death political.

Nice to see so many of you guys contribute so much like this...

Damn thread Nazis, who cares what section its under, just speak about the problem at hand for once.

No wonder the world i such a mess lol.

Oh and in case you missed it, Sage, just like Heath and Britney, most likely Od'd on Oxycontin.

It used to be Heroin that famous people od'd on, but now its Oxy... The same Oxy that is made from Opium which all comes from Afganhistan.

The same Oxycontin that they now give you for any minor surgery, and weve recenlty allowed children under the age of 12 to be prescibed it...

Fact is, Oxycontin is a horrable horrable drug. Its addiction and withdrawls are similar to Heroin, and its extremeley high tolerence build-up mkaes it as easy to overdose on as Heroin.

P.S. i could easily give 2 dozen reasons why this would still fit in "political"...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've been through this before on another thread. so what the heck, I'll throw in my 2 cents again.
Stop demonizing prescription painkillers when there's a damn liquor store on every corner!

This prescription drug "epidemic" hysteria is causing people who have a legitimate need for opiates to endure suffering because some idiots are taking prescription pills to get high. That's right! There are doctors who will not prescribe them (and have admitted it) because abusers have created this hysteria.

When some drunklen dumbass gets behind the wheel and kills an innocent family, it's just another statistic. When someone ODs on prescription meds, it's "political".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

Its true that some innocent people are finding it harder to get their usual prescriptions. That is unfortunate.

BUT, it is also true that many doctors should NOT be prescribing these powerful drugs without the proper specialty training, and they are in no way comparable to alcohol. 2 or 3 drinks won't kill anybody, but 2 or 3 of these pills combined with other circumstances can.

And DUI's are a political concern, there are plenty of laws, and plenty of people in jail, and a hundred different groups like MADD that are there to educate people on the dangers of alcohol. Also, everyone is aware of the problems with alcohol, but the average person thinks something from a pharmacy or a doctor is perfectly safe.

It is a terribly important issue.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I agree that the meds can be dangerous. People need to be aware of the dangers. No argument.
Once again, my biggest complaint is this hysteria! I saw a news blurb recently that featured a sheriff in Tennessee ranting and raving about Oxycontin. He held up a bottle of it and screamed,
"If there ever was the devil in a bottle, this is it!" According to this idiot (and there are many like him) the drug has NO value. He even remarked something like "No good can EVER come from this stuff!"

He said if he had his way, painkillers would be banned. Just banned entirely! They serve no purpose other than destroying the lives of innocent people. They're evil. These people think that because some morons OD and die in their effort to get high, that people who REALLY need them should not be allowed to have them.
I swear to God that's how these people think. I KNOW people like this personally.
I still maintain that the people who rant the most are the ones who would be screaming the loudest, demanding painkillers if THEY were the ones in pain.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
People like to assume all prescription overdose victims must have been addicts. NOT TRUE! I've been overdosed on meds used in the ER on accident. Keyed in the wrong thing when I told them the last dose I took was an hour before. It was mixed with new meds I did need at the time. I'm paranoid about it now. I won't even touch low grade antibiotics without counting the entire bottle out before taking any.
Then there's pain meds. They make you a little loopy and forgetful. If you don't write down the last dose, it's very easy to over-do it. just sayin' be careful folks.
Ask Russia how well over the counter codeine is working out for them...*cough notwellatall cough epidemic cough*
It's a tragedy this family lost someone. My heart goes to them.

PS. I suggest vigorously kissing your wife's a** before she changes into her final form.
edit on 14-7-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

You know, pot is a proven pain treatment and there is NO lethal dose. I have a feeling your against de-criminalization (not willing to replace one drug for another) but, people have been taking drugs since, well, we've been people. Taint gonna change.

There's too much money to be made by the drug companies and having a few people die each year is not going to change it. Granted, when it's someone well known, the politicians all rally, get a little press time but after some time, it will be business as usual.
The OP in Florida maybe? I hear it's real bad down there (Oxy Pills everywhere being given out by unscrupulous Dr's.).

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
this is strange he died while he was meeting Arnold Schwarzenegger
but check out the ring he's wearing.

is that the skull & bones

DAILY MAIL.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Take the criminal element out of the equation for the moment and deal with the "accidental" deaths. Where does personal responsibility lie in all this? We're quick to claim "there ought to be a law!," but why? to correct what, exactly? Are we claiming that advertisements for the "purple pill" CAUSE accidental deaths? YOU are not affected by those advertisements, are you? YOU don't rush to your doctor demanding the purple pill after seeing an advertisement, do you? YOU don't like the advertising because you think SOMEONE ELSE might be swayed by it because they are not as intelligent as you are. They tend to be illogical, stupid, and emotional and they need protection from themselves because they are susceptible to advertising.

In the same vein, who is responsible for informing a health professional that he is taking X drugs? My guess is that oftentimes the patient won't say because the patient doesn't want the health profession to know he is on an anti-depressants. He doesn't want to tell the physician he abuses alcohol. But when something bad happens, we all quickly look for someone to blame. It couldn;t possibly be personal responsibility.

I am NOT saying there is no problem to be corrected, that there is no greed involved, or that there are ways to make this whole thing safer. I am just tired of people proposing laws, rules, and regulations on a do-gooder basis because, although we don't need them for ourselves because we are so smart, other people need because they are so stupid.

Look, if you do something excessively stupid, you may die. I you really profess to be a libertarian, prove it by leaving people alone, even if they do stupid stuff. They really do not want your "help."

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

He said if he had his way, painkillers would be banned. Just banned entirely! They serve no purpose other than destroying the lives of innocent people. They're evil. These people think that because some morons OD and die in their effort to get high, that people who REALLY need them should not be allowed to have them.

Actually, I'm probably more on the side of the sheriff. I know some people have terrible pain, and I might take a pain-reliever a couple of times per year, but any pain relief should be temporary until they fix the root cause. Long term pain management doesn't make any sense to me. Now I have good friends, and people on ATS that I respect, that are long-term pain sufferers, and I respect their opinions, and my best friend is currently fighting cancer, and he is convinced he NEEDS his Oxy's, but I just can't believe it. I've blown myself up, I've been through years of physical therapy, I've ripped scar tissue from my own legs, given myself stitches, even almost cut through my own tendon once, and through all of that, the most I ever used was an occasional percocet. When I blew myself up, I had that first bottle of prescribed percocet for about 3 years before the pills ran out. I rarely took one.

Maybe my view on pain is odd, or maybe I'm just some kind of sadist, but if something hurts, I want to know about it so I can do something about it, I don't want my pain response to be dulled.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join