It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Scans Chats for Criminal Activity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Facebook Scans Chats for Criminal Activity

securitywatch.pcmag.com

Social networking is a great way to keep in touch with friends and meet new people. But it's also important to be vigilant about what you say to people you meet online.

Facebook has technology in place to monitor user conversations for suspicious activity and notify police when necessary. The scanning technology monitors chats for words or phrases that may signal that something is wrong, such as personal information being exchanged or explicit language being used.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

"We've never wanted to set up an environment where we have employees looking at private communications, so it's really important that we use technology that has a very low false-positive rate," Facebook told Reuters.

Yet another insane thing that Facebook does. Not only do they have your personal information, they can access your mobile phone data (if you use Facebook on a Mobile Phone), they record your text messages, and now they are using devices to pick up potential criminals who use their chat system to talk.

securitywatch.pcmag.com
edit on 13-7-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
any one who uses farcebook to distribute the details of thier latestst criminal " enterprise " deserves to be reported to the police

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

True. And the people talking about it should get what they deserve if they go through with it. But the fact Facebook is scanning conversations for certain words or phrases is pretty creepy in my book.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
How long before they all start scanning chats to figure who is organizing protests, and activism?

IMO more reason to use secure chat tools that are encrypted.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

"We've never wanted to set up an environment where we have employees looking at private communications, so it's really important that we use technology that has a very low false-positive rate," Facebook told Reuters.

Yet another insane thing that Facebook does. Not only do they have your personal information, they can access your mobile phone data (if you use Facebook on a Mobile Phone), they record your text messages, and now they are using devices to pick up potential criminals who use their chat system to talk.

securitywatch.pcmag.com
edit on 13-7-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

Most Android phones now come with the facebook app pre-installed. If you have one with the app pre-installed, root the phone and get rid of it.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

The thing with places like FB and other spy sites. No one says you have to put in all your real information in right?
I never put in my real information in any of those sites.
But they can still find out where I am typing from.. So even if I lie about all my info. If they are able to track me down to the very address, they could deduce who I am.

I have never really liked those social spy sites. In this day and age, kids are so damn dumb, they will post all their crimes online for all to see..
I remember the good old days, no cell phones, no internet. If you wanted to meet someone, you went outside.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Facebook already does that. I ended up on a watch list at one time for co-organizing a protest and the only place that the information was discussed was facebook.

Source: Personal experience.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This reminds of me a local story here about a man who was mowing his lawn with his cell phone in his pocket. His phone kept pocket dialing 911. The cops, grew easily tired of the repeated calls and went to check him out. Turns out he had a warrant out for his arrest and was busted on the spot.

Stupid is, as stupid does.

If you have something to hide and don't want anyone finding out - don't post it anywhere on the web. The internet is forever and can be stored away in a cache. Watch what you say online! It's like the idiots who video tape themselves with their phones while committing a crime. Or like the dipstick on the Disney cruise line who stole a woman's phone and took photos of himself - that were automatically posted to HER facebook.

People are deeply stupid. And deserve to be caught doing stupid things.

Source: yahoo.ca for the stories
edit on 13-7-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

I'm not so sure that protesting against corrupt leadership is anything I want to hide. In fact, it is nothing that I want to hide. I want to be proud of the fact that I stand up to injustice, there is no shame in that and it's not illegal. Yet.
Anyways, since then I've deleted my facebook account, not because of that but because the whole concept is entirely asinine. Despite what people think, the world doesn't stop revolving when you don't have a facebook account. I still organize protests and when I do, I'm pretty visible, so whether or not it is discussed on facebook, it's not exactly covert. People do stupid things on facebook but I will never apologize for using it for organizing.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnnOmaly

I never meant that you do stupid things on facebook. I've considered canceling my account as well but have too many family overseas to do that. Actually in all honesty, this is something I support. If it helps catch potential criminals, then all the power to the authorities. Those who commit stupid acts like posting and bragging online about their acts, deserve to get caught. And I'm not talking about protests...I'm talking about the stupid teenage kids who post all their crime online and brag about it...

Thanks for posting this. Interesting read.
edit on 13-7-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

Doesn't surprise me at all!! Twitter and most social media forums, this one included I'm sure are monitored. Even adult websites like alt.com or fetlife.com - cops often post as normal people in the chat rooms to keep an eye on things. Nothing is sacred anymore.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Id like to believe some of these things are a necc evil. They arent trying to get pot smokers, and petty crimes in trouble, but maybe rape, murder, those sorts of things?

Facebook has helped solve crimes before.. I remember hearing about a guy checking his FB on a computer, while he was there stealing in their home

Its scary to think that this power can be manipulated, but Id like to think the massive amount of information is really not used unless inquired upon.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is what i said in the other thread about this

Wow, i just immagined if some friends were planning out a strategy for something like Call of duty on co-op or multiplayer.
"Now I'll shoot towards the runway and you plant the bomb on the plane..."
This could get interesting. But you have to be a 1/2 brainwashed drone to be on facebook in the first place, so i say people are kind of asking for this.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I've talked about the possibility of a rebellion like the mentioned about militias and such, quite a number of times and nothing yet, but it's only a matter of time before they come knocking or busting through my door claiming I'm anything but American. Everything else is discussed through encrypted channels, I don't use FB chat at all anymore anyways. Odds are, I'm flagged, hacked and can't board airplanes anymore, but who really knows?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Has anyone here read the source article?

It's not explicitly stated, but by the end of the article it becomes clear that they are screening for sexual predators. They are trying to prevent children from being drawn into an unsafe situation via FB chat. Their software is most likely to monitor chat between two people who have recently become friends.

Reuters reported Facebook's technology is more likely to likely scrutinize conversations between two users who aren't already "well-established" in the Facebook universe as friends.

In that light I'd say "good for Facebook".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I recently joined facebook and now I read about all these scare stories about it. Some of the stories are no doubt true but that does not really put me of wanting to use the social network site or others like it. I do not engage in criminal activity so my profile would pass all clear.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Just remember words can be used against you. any misspellings, wrong punctuation etc can be construed to make you look bad. Here is an example:
I helped my uncle jack off his horse. vs I helped my Uncle Jack, off his horse.

Bam, just admitted to ...something horribly wrong. In court they will not ask, "is this what you meant to write?", all they will ask "did you write this?"

If "they" want you gone, they will find a way.....

p.s. If you run the FB app on android, there are apps that can disable certain permissions on a per app/permission basis. And yes, root you phone. There is NO reason why you should not as this give you complete control over YOUR phone. Also be aware that they can listen in on your phone (even when off), track you by IP, cell phone, mac address, etc. Even through a proxy. Even encryption is not hard to hack (for them anyway).

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Hey bros,

I was thankfully warned as one of the few not to jump on the bandwagon and in one word or another stepped back and realize what these companies are doing. Now, I am also brief in what I say, and never go into detail, I have nothing to hide and never will, but if you want my information your going to have to work for it a little. Even if you have a fraction of my profile you can never categorize me which is beneficial to me as a legal person. If you want my information I will gladly give you everything as long as you pay me, which is the way it should be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join