It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, looks like local job prospect went out the door...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
At least thats how it looks, may give it 2-3 months before I become serious about looking out of state. Anyone suggest a good state to live that is gun friendly, doesn't mind older vintage vehicles (none or little emissions testing), nice surroundings - looking for trees, good hunting, outdoor activities, not a lot of people, weather is not too hot or too cold, and stabile job market? ...and cost of living is not too high, as well as not a ton of people. I was thinking wyoming or one of the other north western states... thoughts?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Depends on your job skills. Eastern Washington might fit the bill. Washington is a shall-issue state and as long as you stay away from the I-5 corridor, which has way too many people and too many liberals, and emissions, you should be okay. West of the Cascades is a blue state. east of the Cascades is a Red State. Idaho might also be promising. Both have lots of trees and hunting opportunities. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes
At least thats how it looks, may give it 2-3 months before I become serious about looking out of state. Anyone suggest a good state to live that is gun friendly, doesn't mind older vintage vehicles (none or little emissions testing), nice surroundings - looking for trees, good hunting, outdoor activities, not a lot of people, weather is not too hot or too cold, and stabile job market? ...and cost of living is not too high, as well as not a ton of people. I was thinking wyoming or one of the other north western states... thoughts?

Pacific northwest is rad. Inside the U.S., it's the only place I'd ever want to live.

- Rain forests, deserts, mountains, ocean, four seasons, etc
- Many tech industries opening up = jobs
- Plenty of guns and places to shoot them
- I see a lot of old roadsters running around

Oh yeah, the political spectrum varies greatly between counties/towns so you'll be able to find a place with like-minded people no matter what your beliefs are.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Washington is good. I have a job but always keep my eye open for a better one and at least on craigslist, there are 100+ job postings in and around seattle a day. And that's just the businesses that use craigslist.

Even in "liberal" King county (seattle and surroundings) cars over 25 years old are "collector" cars and require no emmission testing.

There are many counties around seattle on the west side of the mountains that require no emissions testing too.

And the hunting is great on both sides of the cascades as well as the mountains themselves.

Have to go 2+ hours out of seattle for good hunting, but you can catch salmon in downtown no problem!

Concealed permits are easy to get as long as you don't have felonies and not sure about open carry, but I'd rather hide it anyways and only present certain death to someone when it's called for.
edit on 13-7-2012 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
Washington is good. I have a job but always keep my eye open for a better one and at least on craigslist, there are 100+ job postings in and around seattle a day. And that's just the businesses that use craigslist.

Even in "liberal" King county (seattle and surroundings) cars over 25 years old are "collector" cars and require no emmission testing.

And the hunting is great on both sides of the cascades as well as the mountains themselves.

Have to go 2+ hours out of seattle for good hunting, but you can catch salmon in downtown no problem!

Concealed permits are easy to get as long as you don't have felonies and not sure about open carry, but I'd rather hide it anyways and only present certain death to someone when it's called for.

For some reason I keep coming back to washington. Do they allow "assault weapons"? I also like oregon, but are they a weeney state?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Yes, just take a look at seattleguns.net craigslist for guns

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Nice. So where would a good place be to live in washington state? Somewhere where its not a big city, good employment and just a nice area? I'm not familiar with the area, but may get up there in the next month or two to check things out. Is boeing up there? I have a mil buddy who just got hired onto boeing, and I believe it was in washington. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Have you considered Florida? The job market is starting to recover here. Guns are plentiful. There are no state inspections or emissions inspections. There are no income taxes either.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Have you considered Florida? The job market is starting to recover here. Guns are plentiful. There are no state inspections or emissions inspections. There are no income taxes either.

No, but I will take a look. I need a change so bad. I can't take the BS anymore. I have a business venture, on the side, that I hope pans out as well. In any event I need change.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Nice. So where would a good place be to live in washington state? Somewhere where its not a big city, good employment and just a nice area? I'm not familiar with the area, but may get up there in the next month or two to check things out. Is boeing up there? I have a mil buddy who just got hired onto boeing, and I believe it was in washington. Thanks!

Washington is cool with AR-15 type rifles--not so much full-auto, but it can be done. Yes, Boeing is here, but that's Big City territory on Interstate 5. It's busy. Traffic is terrible. There's a ban on plastic bags and you can't smoke outdoors. Capiche?

Eastern Washington is a natural, but its rural, so depends on your job skills. Very much a Red State over there.

There are also nice areas on the Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas. Kitsap is a military county, most all Navy. It's mostly semi-urban. If you get up into Jefferson and Clallam County that's much more rural. You can't find a place with more trees. Plenty of deer and elk, but also bears and cougars. Grizzlies included.

Eastern Washington gets hot & cold. Western Washington is marine mild. yes, it does rain, but no more than New York City, just spread out more. It doesn't get really hot and it doesn't get really cold. Getting up into the eighties or below freezing is very rare. "We don't tan, we rust" is designed to keep the Californians out.

It's also quite beautiful. Staring out over Puget Sound at Mr. Rainier on a sunny day (when "The Mountain is out" ) is like being in Heaven. People come here, and they don't leave.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I also like oregon, but are they a weeney state?

What does that even mean?! Like... do they barbecue?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I also like oregon, but are they a weeney state?

What does that even mean?! Like... do they barbecue?

I imagine that stems from their reputation as an ultra-liberal population with a greater than average interest in picking up doggie poo, using recyclable bags, and saving whales. You can't pump your own gas in Oregon, for example. It's too dangerous for you and you might not know how. So every gas station has to hire "professional pumpers" at minimum wage so you won't hurt yourself.

Also, compare the tax climate. Oregon has no sales tax, but it does have property taxes and high state income tax at over 8%. Washington has a high sales tax, but no income tax at all. Property taxes are about 1%. All things considered, if you won the lottery, you'd want to take up residence in Washington, not Oregon.

new topics

top topics

join