It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camp Douglas, WI???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm originally from Northern Wisconsin and have spent many years hunting in a location just outside of Tomah, Wisconsin. After college I moved to the Minneapolis, MN area and have worked for the same company for 23 years. In that 23 years I have travled interstate 94 (I90/94) at least once a month to Madison, Wisconsin.

About 6 weeks ago, traveling home to Minnesota, as I was approaching a location that I have come to know as Camp Douglas, (about 25 miles south of Tomah, WI.) the CB radio I always listen to was lit up with truckers talking about a big plane and where it was going to land.

I soon saw what they were talking about. A plane, at least the size of a 747, was flying straight down the interstate. As I got closer to Camp Douglas, the plane banked to the East, and dropped below the interstate, out of view, and must have landed at Camp Douglas. The 747 was Grey in color except for the bottom of the plane was White. This amazed me as I have never seen a plane that size land at Camp Douglas.

Two weeks ago, heading to Madison, I saw a the same size plane (same color) leave Camp Douglas and head in a Westerly direction.

Does anyone know how big Camp Douglas is? How big is the landing strip?

Any idea why a plane that size is landing there (I have not seen it before in 23 years)? (I have traveled past that site more than 23 years).

This is not a military plane, definately a 747 passenger type plane, why would it be landing there? (a tiny little Wisconsin base)

Tried looking up the base in Google and I'm not getting much about it.

Really curious about this activity. Any thoughts or information about Camp Douglas would be appreciated.

THANKS!

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I think you are refering to the Fort McCoy training complex. It is located on Hwy 21 between Sparta and Tomah, approximately 35 miles from LaCrosse and 105 miles NW of Madison. The installation serves as a Regional Training Center that annually supports the year-round training of more than 120,000 active and reserve component U.S. military personnel from all branches of the Armed Forces.

Shotgun

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Or it could be Volk Field... They have an they have two active runways that are 9000x150... Sorry if i'm wrong, just trying to help since I've visited that area a few times.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Posted by Shotgun

I think you are refering to the Fort McCoy training complex.

Shotgun, I think they are different locations. This base is right next to the Interstate, about 25 miles southeast of Tomah. Fort McCoy is West of Tomah. From the Interstate you can see the entrance to the compound, what looks like dorms and some office buildings. Can't see a landing strip from the Interstate though.

Posted by Verdis Quo

Or it could be Volk Field...

Verdis, thanks, I'll look that up. My assumption is that a 9000 foot runway is long enough to land a 747? What is that, 1 and 3/4 miles - Should be enough?

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Verdis, you nailed it!! Found this on Volk Field.

Volk Field at Camp Douglas

THANKS!

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
The Air Force has 747's that are used as airborne command posts in time of war ... called NEACP's for National Emergency Airborne Command Post (pronounced "kneecap"). Since Volk field is a training base, maybe one of the NEACPs went in there. Last I heard they were stationed out of Offutt AFB in Nebraska.

Just a guess.

top topics

join