It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the best way to redeem yourself of a committed sin ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is something I think about a lot. Because even though my intentions are good, I'm not perfect, and I tend to do bad stuff sometimes that can hurt other people. And if it's too late to go back to that person and ask for forgiveness, is it better to pray, and ask god for forgiveness, or to just act, and show change for the better in future situations?

I tend to walk around with a lot of bad conscience from time to time. Because sometimes I can't control my impulses. Even though I know that I should. I know that my intentions are good, but I feel like that's just a cheap way to excuse my bad actions. Because I tend to do something impulsive, which I later realize is practically a sin, and then afterwards I feel really bad about it. It's almost like I'm sacrificing my conscience for the heat of the moment. And I know it's bad, but sometimes I just CAN'T control my impulses. Is impulse a sin in this case? I mean if it gets repeated ?

Any insight ?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Find a sin eater.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Lol dude, I'm serious.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Your actions will return to you my friend...

Forgive and you will be forgiven...

What in the past is done... and you can't change the past... but you can affect the future.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

But that's the thing, if it's too late to ask for forgiveness ? I feel like in a case like that, the only option I have is to ask God for forgiveness. And after a while it just stacks up, and it feels pointless. Because I keep repeating the same mistakes, because of my impulses.

I know I sound egotistical, but I really do get a bad conscience because my intentions are good, and I really do want to find a way to overcome it, so I don't have to cause any negative influence in other people's lives.
edit on 13-7-2012 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Well being an atheist I'm not going to suggest that you "pray" for forgiveness.

But if it is to late to ask forgiveness from the one you harmed (whatever that may entail), then I suggest you start with forgiving yourself and continue to strive to improve yourself.

Get help if you need it, you can find it for anything. Drugs, stealing, violent behavior, etc.

You can improve yourself, that's what humans are best at...getting better.

And no I do not think you are sinning, because well I don't believe in sin. You are acting immorally.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

No-one is perfect, and everyone does bad things that hurt people sometimes. Just say sorry and try not to do it again! God is probably not the right way to go, unless it makes you feel a bit better about your wrong doing, in which case it can't hurt. But definitely apologise...

As for impulse control, I say you need to relax a bit more. If you fancy doing something, do it! Try not to hurt anyone, and think of the consequences, but go for it. There is no point in going through life not doing what you want because it is sinful!

Overall, I think you need to chill out a bit.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

You are correct...

But what is forgiveness for? To make God feel better... or to make yourself feel better?

We all make mistakes brother... learn from them, and do not repeat them.

As i've said, your actions will come back to you...

Karma is a bitch...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZikhaN
This is something I think about a lot. Because even though my intentions are good, I'm not perfect, and I tend to do bad stuff sometimes that can hurt other people. And if it's too late to go back to that person and ask for forgiveness, is it better to pray, and ask god for forgiveness, or to just act, and show change for the better in future situations?

I tend to walk around with a lot of bad conscience from time to time. Because sometimes I can't control my impulses. Even though I know that I should. I know that my intentions are good, but I feel like that's just a cheap way to excuse my bad actions. Because I tend to do something impulsive, which I later realize is practically a sin, and then afterwards I feel really bad about it. It's almost like I'm sacrificing my conscience for the heat of the moment. And I know it's bad, but sometimes I just CAN'T control my impulses. Is impulse a sin in this case? I mean if it gets repeated ?

Any insight ?

Guilt is the dynamic that keeps it going.

Accept that you have been forgiven and move on.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
My friend, no matter who sincerely forgives you, if you can't truly forgive yourself, you will not overcome those impulses. Because self loathing brings you more of the very things you are trying to overcome. You can't live under constant self condemnation, and expect to become a person you love. You have to learn to start loving the person you are, to become the person you want to be.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
(1) Learn to understand the nature of the desire that caused you to commit the act
(2) Look ahead to the possible pitfalls of your indulgence
(3) Understand that most of the problems in our lives are self-created
(4) Master the desire which made you act against your better judgement.. tame it.. destroy it!
(5) Focus on productivity and creativity, rather than indulgence and consumption

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We all live with the same problems
Ask God for forgiveness and don't repeat your sins.

Two Wolves - A Cherokee Tale
A Cherokee is telling his grandson about a fight that is going on inside himself. He said it is between 2 wolves. One is evil: Anger, envy, sorrow, regret, fearful thinking, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego. The other is good: Joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith. The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?" The Cherokee simply replied, "The one I feed."
~ Author Unknown ~

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Forgive others.

"To have, give all to all"

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Lotsa good insight and philosophy in here =) Thanks guys

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

Man, sounds like you were raised a Christian. There's a lot of guilt going on there.

I think you're OK - you have some awareness of what you are doing. It's the sociopaths and pscyhopaths that are the real problem out there - and you won't see them posting stuff like this here because they don't believe that they are doing anything wrong.

If you are serious about wanting to be a 'better' person then you need to find peace within yourself first, and that would entail embarking on some kind a spiritual journey. When you open up to Spirit, you will quickly realise that we are all one, that 'other person' is really you, and hurting oneself is not cool or very productive.

Good Luck - Ned

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Do 100 hail marys

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

There is one person you forgot to forgive - yourself.

Self-forgiveness is a big one...and many do not forgive themselves.

At Barnes & Noble or perhaps your local library may have it...the book titled.. (Radical Self-Forgiveness) by - Colin Tipping. I first checked this book out at the library and it was so good I went to Barnes & Noble and ordered it. It is worth spending approx. $20.00 on!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just stop doing things you regret.

You already know it's wrong.

God knows your mind....So who are you trying to fool.

Only you have power over your actions.

You sound like a decent person....So just knock it off.

Oh yeah, there is no excuse. Because you know better.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
you CAN'T control your impulses? of course you can, you choose not to. don't look externally to assuage your guilt.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
You will keep repeating your mistakes until you learn from them.

If you fail to learn from them, Karma will eventually put you on the receiving end of your mistakes to show you that perspective, and you will be the one experiencing what you inflict/have inflicted on others. Karma may decide it is the only way you'll learn.

Our life paths are made up of choices and decisions along the way, always be aware of what is the right thing to do in life, and consciously decide to do it. It is a step on the right path.

You can't beat the feeling you get inside when you are aware you are doing/have done the right thing by others. It's priceless I promise ya

Doing good = feeling good

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join